Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the last comic (single issue) you bought?

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

What's the last comic (single issue) you bought?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-13, 07:06 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What's the last comic (single issue) you bought?

I dont like reading
Old 09-16-13, 12:55 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't buy it, but the issues of the Star Trek Next Generation/Doctor Who crossover. Oh, and an issue of an old He-man comic where he fights Superman.
Old 09-16-13, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I'm resisting most of the DC gimmick 3D covers; but did pick up two of them last week; the Justice League title and my first Teen Titans of the new 52.
I've been picking up the non-3D editions but my LCS guy gave me the 3D versions of Cyborg Superman & The Joker because he ran out of 2D versions. Now my OCD has kicked in and I want to re-buy those two issues to match the rest!

Having the 3D version of Cyborg Superman is kind of nice because it reminds me of the Chromium edition of Superman #82 which featured the original Cyborg Superman.
Old 09-16-13, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Liberator issues 1 & 2
Old 09-21-13, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I don't buy singles issues much anymore but throw a random bunch together and I'll pull out my credit card. Five & Below, a chain of discount stores, occasionally has random 4-packs of older comics for $4. This was the comic on top and it called my name, even though I think I already own it in some trade/omnibus.

Fantastic Four #147
Old 09-24-13, 11:16 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I just spent $73 for a 40 issue lot on ebay that included a 1958 Challengers of the Unknown #1!

It'd be a $500 book if it was mint. And had a cover.
Just opened this box. A lot of cool books that I'd never be able to afford if they had covers.

One interesting tidbit: the first book I leafed through was an old Swamp Thing, and scanning the letters page I see one from Harlan Ellison.
Old 09-25-13, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts

The only X-book right now I'm reading is Wolverine and the X-Men, and I'm far enough out of the loop that I didn't even know there was an X-crossover going on right now. When I cracked open #36 today, I had no friggin' clue what was going on.
Old 09-26-13, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Saga #14. Starting to get boring. Maybe I should wait a few months and get a few at once, since that's often been the case with Vaughan month to month.
Old 09-30-13, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I went to Frank & Sons over the weekend and raided the .50¢ bins. Along with some Zero Hour & Acts of Vengeance tie-ins, I also picked up:

Adventure Comics #460

Features the (non-Kirby) ending to the New Gods saga and the second death of Steve Trevor. It says it's 68 pages but 4 of those pages are the front, back and inside covers!

normalman 3D Annual

The finale to the normalman saga.

Ms. Tree 3D

Continues the story from the AV in 3D special. No 3D glasses.

The New Wave

Always knew about them but (outside of Total Eclipse) I never read them.

Savage Dragonbert: Full Frontal Nerdity

Thick book. Figured since the cover price was $5.95, it was a good deal.

Marvel Tales #50

Reprints Amazing Spider-Man #67.

The Deep

Didn't like the movie but for some reason, the cover called to me. The adaptation is done by Doug Moench (Story) and Carmine Infantino (Art). That's pretty neat.

Last edited by The Valeyard; 09-30-13 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-30-13, 05:04 PM

Holy crap that's an awesome haul!

Always loved/feared that Adventure cover, given my name and all.
Old 09-30-13, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

I picked this one up for $3 the other day, due to my missing it during my DCBS orders. I thought it was a really sweet father/son story.

I have to say, I wasn't really that keen on Damian initially, but Peter Tomasi's run on B&R has been really enjoyable, and made me like him a lot more. I'm making my way through Batman Inc. right now, so I suppose it's going to be a bummer when he dies.
Old 11-04-13, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hit Comikaze on Saturday and had a great time. It's still a small show but it's steadily growing each year. Most of the comic vendors were high-end but a few had some $1 bins. Only a handful had 50 cent boxes.

What I picked up from the .50 Cent bins:

West Coast Avengers #46 - 50

I picked up the 4-part "VisionQuest" arc that started Byrne's run on WCA back in the 80s but stopped after #45. When I found these 5 issues one right after another, I decided to pick up where I left off.

Captain America #332 & 383

Issue #332 - The classic Captain America resigns issue. Issue #383 - The 50th Anniversary issue.

Buck Rogers #2 & The Occult Files of Doctor Spektor #3

Some Gold Key goodness. Buck Rogers #2 (1979) begins the 3-part movie adaptation. Doing some web research, I see that Buck Rogers #1 came out in 1964! That's a pretty big delay between issues!

Fantastic Four vs. The X-Men #1 - 4

Shade the Changing Man #1, Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes #231 and The Flash #245

Paid a buck for Shade #1 (Random Fact: It was Steve Ditko's Birthday on Saturday). The other 2 were .50 cents.

Avengers #213

The day Jim Shooter destroyed Hank Pym's life.

What I picked up from the $1 bins:

Fantastic Four #193, 195, 197 and 199

Been looking to complete this story arc (190 to 200) for a few years now. Only 2 issues left to go!

I thought I grabbed crappy iPhone photos of Legion of Super-Heros #269 & 271 but looks like I didn't. Got those for a buck too.

Signed stuff:

Captain Carrot and his Amazing Zoo Crew#1

Scott Shaw! was very pleased to see that my Captain Carrot #1 was dog-eared and battered. He said it showed that I read it over and over again. And he was right! I'm an old-school Captain Carrot fan and has re-read that series over and over again since the 1980s. Scott was very courteous and spoke to me for awhile about how he tried to resurrect the comic and how DC has changed their mind each time.

There was a proposed action figure line that DC nixed (that I would have KILLED for). A series of mini-series or one-shots that would have followed up on the ending of the last Captain Carrot mini (Captain Carrot and the Final Ark). DC decided to just wrap everything up quickly during Final Crisis. Then the final slap in the face with the New52's Captain K'Rot (which reminded him of the Marvel Star Wars character Jaxxon).

He apparently owns 10% of the characters so he could see some good cash if DC ever did anything serious with them again.

The Gray Area Graphic Novel

John Romita, Jr is just awesome. He got to his table around noon and signed until 7pm. Non-stop. There were fans there with STACKS of books and he signed them all (until around 5pm when they started limiting the books to 5 each). He said once the line went down, he would start doing sketches but alas - The line never went down.

I waited in line for 45 minutes for him to sign The Gray Area (his first creator-owned title). He looked happy when he saw the book (because he had been signing nothing but Spider-Man, X-Men and Kick-Ass comics all day). We spoke for a bit and he mentioned that they had just finished a Gray Area screenplay that they were going to shop around town soon. He also said they were going to re-release the graphic novel (with added stuff) and if the sales were good, they'd do another mini-series. Tho he was disappointed to say that he probably wouldn't have time to draw the book himself.

Shogun Warriors #1

Lemme just say - I love the Shogun Warriors. That title along with Godzilla, The Micronauts and Star Wars were a giant part of my childhood. So meeting the great Herb Trimpe was pretty cool. I thought about having him sign my Godzilla #1 but didn't want to "ruin it." Shogun Warriors was the best follow-up.

SO there's no one around his table when I walk up and politely ask him to sign my copy of the comic. He looks up at me and says nothing. Feeling awkward, I tell him that I've been a fan of his work since the 70s and loved this book and his work on Godzilla. I get nothing back. Just a tired stare.

Another guy walks up with a card binder filled with Mars Attacks cards. He super-fans Herb and tells him what a big fan he is. Mr. Trimpe LIGHTS UP and says it's always a pleasure to meet a fan. He proceeds to sign some of the Mars Attacks cards (I guess the ones he drew) AND does a little sketch on a blank card the guy has handy. The guy is gushing and at one point, notices me and says "Oh, I'm sorry! Did I interrupt?" I say "No. Not at all." Herb doesn't bat an eye.

Herb has a bunch of reproductions of his Marvel covers on the table and a kid walks up and spots the cover to Incredible Hulk #181. He asks his father if he can have one so, while Herb is sketching a Martian for Uber Fan, the father asks how much they are. Herb manages to: Answer and take the father's money. Gives him change back. Gives the kid the reproduced art and signs it. Talks to the kid for a few minutes and asks him if he likes Wolverine or Hulk more. Finishes Uber Fan's Martian Sketch. Shakes hands with the kid & Uber Fan and thanks them for being fans. The father and kid leaves. Uber Fan thanks him again and leaves.

It's just Herb and me now. And I might as well not be there because he doesn't acknowledge my presence. I clear my throat and ask politely, "May I please have your autograph?" He looks at me again, looks down for a pen and takes my comic from me. He quickly signs it and hands it back. Not one word spoken. I thank him (again, politely) and leave. It felt like 2 hours had passed but the whole "encounter" took place within 10 to 12 minutes. I don't know if he didn't like my face, hated working on the Shogun Warriors or what but that was the weirdest encounter I've ever had with a comic creator. I didn't expect him to talk my ear off or anything but even when I was in a long line to get Stan Lee's autograph (and they were pushing us through as fast as they could), Stan at least acknowledged me with a nod and a smile. Even during a Daredevil #1 signing, while Kevin Smith was chatting away with friends, he would say "thanks, man" after he signed a book.

Whatever. I still got his autograph. And he's still cool to me.

Speaking of Shogun Warriors, apparently Toynami got the rights to the name and is planning on releasing a new book:

Outside that brief hiccup, I had a great time. Looking forward to next year.

Last edited by The Valeyard; 11-04-13 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 11-05-13, 11:40 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Nice haul!

DC keeps tasntalizing me with promises of Captain Carrot reprints but they never seem to materialize. Shut up and take my money, DC!
Old 11-06-13, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Deadpool x deadpool #4

SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #20

ULTIMATE COMICS SPIDER-MAN #28

only currents sadly

Last edited by frozdragon; 11-06-13 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11-09-13, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
My most recent purchases were the first two issues of Batman 66. They weren't bad, but they weren't as good as I was hoping they'd be.
I read those in the shop. While I could hear the voices in my head as I read the stories mostly fell flat. Close but no cigar stuff. I also hated the 3D look of issue #1 (did they do that with #2 as well? I really don't recall). I've not looked at it since.
I'm resisting most of the DC gimmick 3D covers; but did pick up two of them last week; the Justice League title and my first Teen Titans of the new 52.
I'm currently only picking up a couple of DC titles and was thrilled to find they had non-3D covers at the normal price. I looked at all of them (because the manager would show them to me) and thought several were very cool but not an extra $1 cool. I was impressed at the layering on a few.
Originally Posted by bluetoast
Saga #14. Starting to get boring. Maybe I should wait a few months and get a few at once, since that's often been the case with Vaughan month to month.
I'm behind on that one. I'm pretty much addicted to the weekly trip and floppies but the manager at the store here has pretty much switched to trades and says Saga is best read that way. But staying behind almost works the same way. I think I have 3-4 issues (or more as I'm about 7 months behind reading) of Saga waiting to be read.

This weeks singles were:
STAR WARS #3 LUCAS DRAFT
MOVEMENT #6
CYBER FORCE #7
THE LONE RANGER #19

I've been enjoying The Star Wars. It's interesting to see where some of the later stuff came from and seeing the original concept.

I really can't say about Movement as I'm about 5 issues behind but I tend to like Simone's work.

Cyber Force is also too new as I've only read the first 2-3 but I liked the original version in the 90s and have committed to a 12 issue run before I decide for sure on the relaunch.

The Lone Ranger is a very good comic. I've always liked the character and am enjoying this book. It's true to the character and is providing lots of back story for Tonto. If you're not reading it you should give it a try.
Old 12-13-13, 05:35 PM

I just found some comic two-packs at DollarTree and couldn't resist.

From Marvel there was Nomad issue 1, from Continuity Hybrids issue 1, from Comico an old Mage, from Image Stormwatch number 1, from DC a Supergirl number 1, and some GI Joe comic from Devil's Due.

Nothing that I really needed, and perhaps a double or two, but it was fun having a bit of a scavenger hunt for $3.
Old 12-14-13, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Hit Comikaze on Saturday and had a great time. It's still a small show but it's steadily growing each year. Most of the comic vendors were high-end but a few had some $1 bins. Only a handful had 50 cent boxes.

What I picked up from the .50 Cent bins:

West Coast Avengers #46 - 50

I picked up the 4-part "VisionQuest" arc that started Byrne's run on WCA back in the 80s but stopped after #45. When I found these 5 issues one right after another, I decided to pick up where I left off.
It's strange what memories will get triggered when one sees a picture. I haven't looked at it in probably two decades but I know my copy of West Coast Avengers #46 has a crease on the cover running between the two staples. It was one of the very last issues I ever picked up from the newstand, as I shifted my comic purchases to dedicated stores soon after.
Old 01-09-14, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

This weeks pull only included Shaolin Cowboy 4.
Old 01-13-14, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't know if anybody is interested but it looks like the reissue of MiracleMan is out this week. I'm sure Alan Moore is thrilled about that.
Old 01-13-14, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Minimum Wage #1 from Image.
Old 01-17-14, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Curse #1 - Really bad.
A Voice In The Dark #3
Wraith #3
Old 01-17-14, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I usually only buy books at conventions but I recently got this for Christmas from a friend that knew I was a big Neal Adams fan.

These are the last books I actually picked up at the last convention I went to. Alex Nino did the Captain Fear back up a couple of issues and I had him sign them there.

EDIT: Here's the rest of the series.

Last edited by mrhan; 01-17-14 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-17-14, 12:49 PM

I love those covers!
Old 01-28-14, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got inspired by our best of 2013 thread and have been picking up and catching up on a couple of my favorite current series. The pickups were:

Revival - 12, 13, 14, 15
Lazarus - 5
Harbinger - 15
Morning Glories - 34
Old 01-29-14, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I love those covers!
Agreed, those are classic Spectre covers.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.