Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Are my Disney comics from the early/mid-90s worth anything?

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Old 08-24-12, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

I just came across a ton of Uncle Scrooge, Donald Duck, Walt Disney Comics and Stories that I collected when I was a kid. This is the era when Disney was publishing them themselves not Gladstone. Quite a few #1's because this is when they re-booted the numbering system.

Are any of these worth a damn?
Old 08-24-12, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Are my Disney comics from the early/mid-90s worth anything?

Aren't a lot of those Carl Barks reprints?
Old 08-24-12, 10:05 PM
Banned

A comic is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. So any price guide you use doesn't really mean much since it could say a comic is worth $1000, but that means precisely nothing if you can't find someone willing to pay that much.

The best indicator of a comic's value is to search completed auctions on ebay to see what real people are actually paying for them.

Just from a gut feeling though, I would say these comics are worthless. The vast majority of 90s comics are worthless simply because the supply of them greatly exceeds the demand. The 90s was the height of the speculator era, and most comics had millions and millions of copies printed.

X-Men Vol. 2 #1 from 1991 is only worth a dollar today because they printed 8 million copies of the damn thing. "Buy this comic and it will be worth enough to fund your kid's college education in 10 years time." Yeah right, and monkeys are flying out of my butt. The comic industry was just preying on kids who didn't really understand how supply and demand works. I was one of them; I was 12 years old in 1991 and I bought five copies each of X-Men #1, Batman #497 (Bane breaking Batman's back), and Superman #75 (Doomsday killing Superman). Those comics aren't worth spit today.
Old 08-24-12, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Aren't a lot of those Carl Barks reprints?
Yes

From looking at ebay most are listed between $2 and $4. Not worth the effort of individually selling those. Maybe I'll sell them as bundles by title.

The truth is, from looking at ebay, no Disney comics are worth that much. Stuff from the '60s, '70s, and '80s are only worth $2-$7 dollars.

Last edited by Mabuse; 08-24-12 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-25-12, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Yes

From looking at ebay most are listed between $2 and $4. Not worth the effort of individually selling those. Maybe I'll sell them as bundles by title.

The truth is, from looking at ebay, no Disney comics are worth that much. Stuff from the '60s, '70s, and '80s are only worth $2-$7 dollars.
Most comics published after the early 80s aren't worth much more than $1 an issue. There are rare exceptions and key issues, but too many hardcore collectors got into the hobby by then, which means thousands and thousands of pristine copies are floating around the market at any time.