DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Comic Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk-57/)
-   -   I'm Looking for a Specific Batman Comic Featuring The Riddler (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk/603552-im-looking-specific-batman-comic-featuring-riddler.html)

PatD 07-27-12 09:13 PM

I'm Looking for a Specific Batman Comic Featuring The Riddler

It was made probably within the last 15 years. It's this issue where The Riddler makes this brilliant meta-solliquy where he talks about the more innocent, good 'ol days of sparring with Batman when there were more villains like him and King Tut, Marsha Queen of Diamonds, ect. And then he laments that now everything is dark and fatalistic. I thought it was brilliant.

Would anyone know what issue that is from, and where I can get a copy?

The Antipodean 07-28-12 04:44 AM

Re: I'm Looking for a Specific Batman Comic Featuring The Riddler

I think that's a Neil gaiman story From a Secret Origins special, great little tale

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Secret_Origins_Special_Vol_2_1

kgrogers1979 07-28-12 06:44 AM

Yes, its from the Secret Origins vol 2 Special.

As for where to buy it, mycomicshop.com is really good for back issue hunting. I looked on there and they have it for a dollar.

Ebay is also pretty good for back issue hunting, and you can oftentimes find large lot auctions for really cheap prices. Although one significant problem with ebay is that many people greatly misjudge the condition of their comics. Most people think their comics are near mint but many of them are far from it.

I remember buying a comic on ebay that the seller said was near mint, and when I got it it had a large crease down the middle where it had been folded in half. Near mint my ass. :lol: I'm not as anal about the condition of my comics as a lot of people are, but I could see how someone could get very angry about something like that.

Mycomicshop is a lot more strict when it comes to grading if that matters to you.

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/2...v2special0.jpg

PatD 07-28-12 01:24 PM

Thank you both! That's one of my favorites from the whole Batman canon--with the "old guard" commenting on the more current.

kgrogers1979 07-28-12 02:21 PM

Its really just rose-colored nostalgia glasses not really remembering the past that well. Its only referring to the "good old times" of the 50s and 60s during the whole sci-fi cheeseball era. The 40s were very violent, arguably the most violent Batman comics have ever been. It amuses me Riddler complains about Joker turning into a killer when he originally was a killer from the beginning. In his very first appearance he killed three or four people.

That's the power of nostalgia... you only remember what you want to remember...

Crocker Jarmen 07-30-12 01:13 AM

This is one of the few superhero comics I bought as a kid in the wake of the Batman movie boom. It's pretty good.

I also get a kick out of the fact the Riddler story was coloured by Joe Matt of Peepshow fame.

madcougar 07-30-12 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen (Post 11327943)
This is one of the few superhero comics I bought as a kid in the wake of the Batman movie boom. It's pretty good.

I also get a kick out of the fact the Riddler story was coloured by Joe Matt of Peepshow fame.

That dude LOVES his pRon.

kodave 07-31-12 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by PatD (Post 11325684)
It was made probably within the last 15 years. It's this issue where The Riddler makes this brilliant meta-solliquy where he talks about the more innocent, good 'ol days of sparring with Batman when there were more villains like him and King Tut, Marsha Queen of Diamonds, ect. And then he laments that now everything is dark and fatalistic. I thought it was brilliant.

Would anyone know what issue that is from, and where I can get a copy?

It's reprinted in "Batman: Whatever Happened To The Caped Crusader?" available in deluxe hardcover and trade paperback.

madcougar 07-31-12 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 (Post 11326283)
Its really just rose-colored nostalgia glasses not really remembering the past that well. Its only referring to the "good old times" of the 50s and 60s during the whole sci-fi cheeseball era. The 40s were very violent, arguably the most violent Batman comics have ever been. It amuses me Riddler complains about Joker turning into a killer when he originally was a killer from the beginning. In his very first appearance he killed three or four people.

That's the power of nostalgia... you only remember what you want to remember...

You have to cut the guy some slack, he did have 40 years of cannon to remember at that point.

kgrogers1979 07-31-12 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by madcougar (Post 11329394)
You have to cut the guy some slack, he did have 40 years of cannon to remember at that point.

COIE erased it so he technically shouldn't even remember. ;)

madcougar 07-31-12 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 (Post 11329723)
COIE erased it so he technically shouldn't even remember. ;)

Touche.