DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Comic Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk-57/)
-   -   Six Flags Superman ride is now the New 52 Superman (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk/603440-six-flags-superman-ride-now-new-52-superman.html)

kgrogers1979 07-23-12 09:27 PM

Six Flags Superman ride is now the New 52 Superman

I have never been to Six Flags, so I can't confirm this, but I saw this over on CBR. Its funny that the text "Superman Ultimate Flight" covers up the whole (lack of) trunk area. Unless you are a comic book reader its doubtful you would even know this as a different Superman design.

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/274...52superman.jpg

The Valeyard 07-23-12 10:04 PM

Re: Six Flags Superman ride is now the New 52 Superman

The company I work for is currently working on a slew of projects for Six Flags. I will say the new regime at Six Flags is very dedicated in keeping the DC characters current.

PhantomStranger 07-24-12 12:42 AM

It's going to be crappy if licensing starts relegating the classic costume to vintage merchandise only. I really wonder now if the whole costume change was mostly about lowering the leverage the Siegels/Shusters had in their lawsuit with DC.

Dragon Tattoo 07-24-12 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 11319915)
It's going to be crappy if licensing starts relegating the classic costume to vintage merchandise only.

Not for those of us who love the new costumes.

I just wish WW had kept her pants.

madcougar 07-24-12 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 (Post 11319739)
Unless you are a comic book reader its doubtful you would even know this as a different Superman design.

Or care really... As my groups resident comic book geek I was slightly put off that
Spoiler:
John Blake's real name in Dark Knight Rises wasn't Richard Grayson.
When I mentioned this to my buddies, they didn't know what the hell I was talking about.

My point is that the average person doesn't care about this stuff, and if they do, they only care as long as the media tells them to care.

kodave 07-24-12 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by madcougar (Post 11320435)
Or care really... As my groups resident comic book geek I was slightly put off that
Spoiler:
John Blake's real name in Dark Knight Rises wasn't Richard Grayson.

It's spoilered for a reason:
Spoiler:
I was also slightly miffed at that at first, but I came to understand he's not Dick Grayson. Parts of him are like Dick Grayson because Grayson was a cop and he was sort of the first person to be Batman's second (and perhaps like Grayson he might wear the Batman mantle, which Grayson did before the New 52), parts of him are like post-Crisis Jason Todd in that he was an orphan with a boys home type situation, and parts of him are like Tim Drake in that he is quite like Bruce and that he easily deduced Batman's identity (and has the potential to be an even greater detective than Bruce). Robin John Blake is an amalgamation of all of those qualities. And I think that actually makes more sense for the movie than making him Dick Grayson. Not that we need Robin John Blake to join the bloated Bat-family, but I certainly wouldn't mind reading a Nolan-verse spin off comic featuring him as a caped crusader.

kgrogers1979 07-24-12 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 11319915)
I really wonder now if the whole costume change was mostly about lowering the leverage the Siegels/Shusters had in their lawsuit with DC.

I doubt it. Just changing his costume isn't going to change the character in the eyes of the court. And if the whole new 52 was all about the lawsuit, then why bother drastically changing a lot of other characters? The new 52 was all about gaining new readers and nothing more.

Or care really... As my groups resident comic book geek I was slightly put off that John Blake's real name in Dark Knight Rises wasn't Richard Grayson. When I mentioned this to my buddies, they didn't know what the hell I was talking about.

How can anyone not know who Dick Grayson is? They should know from the Adam West show at least. I can understand them not knowing Jason Todd, Tim Drake, or Damian Wayne, but Dick Grayson should be as ingrained into the public mind as Bruce Wayne.

fumanstan 07-24-12 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 (Post 11320928)

How can anyone not know who Dick Grayson is? They should know from the Adam West show at least. I can understand them not knowing Jason Todd, Tim Drake, or Damian Wayne, but Dick Grayson should be as ingrained into the public mind as Bruce Wayne.

Why would you assume everyone is aware of that TV show?

kgrogers1979 07-24-12 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 11321130)
Why would you assume everyone is aware of that TV show?

I guess most young people might not be aware of it, but anyone over the age of 30 probably grew up watching re-runs of it in the 1980s. It was as much a staple of the 80s as He-Man, Thundercats, or Alf.

madcougar 07-25-12 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 (Post 11320928)

The 60s Batman show was a train wreck to me when I was a kid (in the 70s) and I never watched it. If it weren't for comic books, I would have no clue who Robin really is.

kgrogers1979 07-25-12 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by madcougar (Post 11322355)
The 60s Batman show was a train wreck to me when I was a kid (in the 70s) and I never watched it. If it weren't for comic books, I would have no clue who Robin really is.

Maybe it has to do with age. A younger kid is generally more lenient than an older kid. Maybe you were just too old when you first saw the show. I'm sure if I re-watched the show now as an adult my childhood nostalgia would be ruined because it would just be too unbearable to watch now.

Anyway, I was really young when I watched it, and I loved it. In fact, its what led to me getting into comics in the first place. One day I was with my mother at the grocery store, and I just happened to notice a Batman comic on the spinner rack. I loved the TV show, so I wanted to try the comic. If it wasn't for the show, I most likely never would have noticed the comic or gotten into comics period.

MLBFan24 07-29-12 11:07 PM

I went on this ride last weekend. It was thrilling, but only 31 seconds. Lots of glitches and malfunctions (including one of my rides - 15 minute delay). Today, the ride malfunctioned and riders were stuck at the top for more than an hour.

It could have easily been named something other than Superman.

The 90 degree drop was cool though.

fumanstan 07-29-12 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 (Post 11319739)
Its funny that the text "Superman Ultimate Flight" covers up the whole (lack of) trunk area.

I looked at the old logo for this ride and it had Superman in a similar pose. So it has nothing to do with the trunks or lack there of, if that was what you were insinuating.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...light_logo.gif

resinrats 07-30-12 12:01 AM

That new Superman suit looks like it is trying to rip off Iron Man with each part of it being a separate section. Look at his shoulder.

kgrogers1979 07-30-12 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by resinrats (Post 11327884)
That new Superman suit looks like it is trying to rip off Iron Man with each part of it being a separate section. Look at his shoulder.

Yes, the Kryptonian biotech pretty much is Iron Man's armor.

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/4174/54140697.jpg

Lastdaysofrain 07-30-12 07:12 AM

Aren't they both pretty much a rip off of Spider-Man's black suit?

This Superman Suit seems more like a rip off of Iron Man via the new Blue Beetle

Maxflier 08-03-12 10:02 AM

Spoiler:
John Blake's real name in Dark Knight Rises wasn't Richard Grayson
. When I mentioned this to my buddies, they didn't know what the hell I was talking about.

I'm glad I had seen the movie already before I read that...

resinrats 08-04-12 11:43 PM

OK that is seriously lame if his suit forms nano tech on him. Does he even have powers or is the nano suit doing all the work? Wouldn't surprise me. Also, why would he have the giant S on his chest when in Clark mode? Why not just give him a watch or something that ths nanotech comes from, forming the S as well as the rest of the suit. BTW: Does he have to strip naked and stand there when the suit forms? Looks like it.

PhantomStranger 08-07-12 01:32 PM

The armor thing was strictly implemented because it would look cool when it happens in a movie and Iron Man was coming off being a gigantic hit at the box office.

PhantomStranger 08-07-12 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 (Post 11327813)
I went on this ride last weekend. It was thrilling, but only 31 seconds. Lots of glitches and malfunctions (including one of my rides - 15 minute delay). Today, the ride malfunctioned and riders were stuck at the top for more than an hour.

It could have easily been named something other than Superman.

The 90 degree drop was cool though.

I think the ride has been shut down because of mechanical problems in the last week.

musiquetom 08-07-12 08:43 PM

I have never been to Six Flags, so I can't confirm this, but I saw this over on CBR. Its funny that the text "Superman Ultimate Flight" covers up the whole (lack of) trunk area. Unless you are a comic book reader its doubtful you would even know this as a different Superman design.

notkevinbacon 08-07-12 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Maxflier (Post 11333674)
I'm glad I had seen the movie already before I read that...

Yeah, uh I still have not... dude may wanna spoiler that if that means what it... well... means.

benedict 08-14-12 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by notkevinbacon (Post 11338370)
Yeah, uh I still have not... dude may wanna spoiler that if that means what it... well... means.

Spoiler:
As someone planning to go see the film this week... :mad:
I've now spoilerised the three instances that I saw.