DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Comic Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk-57/)
-   -   The Phantom Stranger gets his own comic once again in October (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk/603145-phantom-stranger-gets-his-own-comic-once-again-october.html)

PhantomStranger 07-11-12 11:23 PM

The Phantom Stranger gets his own comic once again in October

...I am the Phantom Stranger and I come this time to lead you into that darkness to show you secrets better left alone! Come take my hand.

THE PHANTOM STRANGER #1
Written by DAN DIDIO
Art by BRENT ANDERSON and SCOTT HANNA
Cover by BRENT ANDERSON
1:25 Variant cover by SHANE DAVIS
On sale OCTOBER 3 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for more information.
• An all-new series focusing on secrets of The New 52 you never imagined!
• The Phantom Stranger strikes a bargain with Lord Trigon that will have serious repercussions in the DC Universe!
• From afar, Pandora watches!

http://i.newsarama.com/images/phstr_cv1_r1_02.jpg

Lastdaysofrain 07-12-12 07:11 AM

Re: The Phantom Stranger gets his own comic once again in October

I'll purchase this one for sure. I've liked the mystical/magic characters reintroduction into the mainstream DCU and I've thought those have easily been the strongest books in the New 52

fujishig 07-13-12 05:29 PM

A comic book series and an action figure. Must be good to be you, PS...

Josh-da-man 07-13-12 06:33 PM

Is this going to be a "Dark" title?

kgrogers1979 07-13-12 07:08 PM

I am very glad to finally see another Phantom Stranger ongoing series, but at the same time I am also worried because I absolutely hate the fact that the new 52 has given him a definite origin.

Lastdaysofrain 07-14-12 07:21 AM

Which origin has the New 52 gone with for him?

kgrogers1979 07-14-12 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain (Post 11307399)
Which origin has the New 52 gone with for him?

It was in a free one-shot from a few months back. I think it was part of Free Comic Book Day or something, but I can't remember exactly now.

Basically the one-shot was about the "Trinity of Sin" which was revealed to be Phantom Stranger, Pandora, and The Question. Phantom Stranger was revealed to have been Judas who betrayed Jesus. The Trinity War is supposedly the next upcoming DC event.

Personally I always thought Phantom Stranger was best served having an ambiguous origin rather than having a definite one. After COIE, there was a 50-issue series called Secret Origins that updated the origins of most of the DC characters, and I thought that series handled Phantom Stranger the best by giving him a multiple choice origin with four possible origins. Any one of them (or perhaps none of them) could have been the real one.

Lastdaysofrain 07-15-12 03:45 PM

I remember that issue of Secret Origins, which I really enjoyed. I believe one of them was the Judas one right? One he was the Wandering Jew? One he was some future scientist? The Question is now part of a Trinity of Sin!?

mrhan 07-15-12 05:35 PM

^ I remember picking up that issue. I thought it was going to be a lame read; finally giving him an origin. After reading it I really enjoyed the way they left it to the reader to make a choice. I've been a Stranger fan since the early Jim Aparo stories. His version was definitive.

PhantomStranger 07-16-12 12:38 AM

"Man, if nothing more, is a creature of symbols. He will stake his eternal soul on concepts as tenuous as the mists that fade before a dawning sun. And yet, it is often this very dedication that blinds him to the true values behind the tokens he so cherishes."

Each scribe merely presents his version of my origin, shrouded in mystery. Forever shall I remain a stranger...some might want to take notice of the raven's shadow on the cover.

fujishig 07-16-12 10:39 AM

The nu52 version of the origin is indeed from the FCBD issue, and is free on comixology (it's called DC Comics - The New 52 FCBD Special Edition).

PhantomStranger 07-16-12 08:05 PM

There will actually be a zero-numbered issue that precedes the first issue, in September.

Giantrobo 07-16-12 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain (Post 11308605)
I remember that issue of Secret Origins, which I really enjoyed. I believe one of them was the Judas one right? One he was the Wandering Jew? One he was some future scientist? The Question is now part of a Trinity of Sin!?

I remember that. I love Phantom Stranger and other "beyond superhero" DC characters like The Spectre and Dr. Fate

PhantomStranger 09-12-12 01:16 AM

4-page preview of The Phantom Stranger #0, due this month at your local comic book store.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/08/...nger-0-preview

Lastdaysofrain 09-12-12 07:10 AM

I think having a definitive origin for the Stranger is a terrible idea, and making it a flat out biblical one is even worse.

Also...the Question? That makes little sense to me.

davidh777 09-12-12 09:06 AM

Why hasn't Trevor appeared in this thread? Because he only surfs the site through e-mail notification of old threads? :confused:

Trevor 09-12-12 09:52 AM

I've been here! Could have sworn I posted a comment about loving the old PS "choose-your-own" origin stories, but perhaps that was a different DC thread.

I own almost every Stranger appearance iirc, and am looking forward to this. I'm pretty much trade only nowadays though, so I'll be a year or more behind you all ;)

kgrogers1979 09-12-12 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 11381214)
4-page preview of The Phantom Stranger #0, due this month at your local comic book store.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/08/...nger-0-preview

Um, Phantom Stranger #0 came out last week.

PhantomStranger 09-12-12 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 (Post 11381655)
Um, Phantom Stranger #0 came out last week.

Yes, I was aware of that but I do have to leave a little mystery involved as always.

Revealing the origin is not as big a deal as some think, we all know some later writer can always retcon in other origins if they want. The real problem I see going forward are the religious implications of this specific origin, which if taken to its full extent is going to make some people very uncomfortable. And I agree with the sentiment about the Question, he seems shoehorned into this new trinity of sinners.

kgrogers1979 09-12-12 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 11381990)
Yes, I was aware of that but I do have to leave a little mystery involved as always.

Cool beans. You said it was due this month, and the article you quoted is two weeks old from August 30th. So I wasn't sure if you knew if it had already been released or not.

Phantom Stranger #0 is really just a rehash of the FCBD issue, but it also includes a few new scenes. Most importantly
Spoiler:
it also brings The Spectre into the DCNU with a new origin.

Lastdaysofrain 09-13-12 07:12 AM

I'm still not clear why the Question is stuck into this, that character had a pretty simple definitive origin, did that change recently?

DC has also been very good at avoiding direct Christian references (anyone remember when Rick Veitch got fired for his story where Swamp Thing was the cross Christ was crucified on?) and God has never really been the Christian one, it's always been "The Voice" or "The Word" or whatever they called it.

This seems like an odd move.

fujishig 09-13-12 11:16 AM

In the FCBD DC issue, the Trinity of Sin are punished and are revealed as Pandora (the lady that showed up in Flashpoint and in cameos in all of the new 52 books), the Phantom Stranger (Judas), and the Question. It's available for free on Comixology if you want to read it.

davidh777 09-13-12 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 11381530)
I've been here! Could have sworn I posted a comment about loving the old PS "choose-your-own" origin stories, but perhaps that was a different DC thread.

I own almost every Stranger appearance iirc, and am looking forward to this. I'm pretty much trade only nowadays though, so I'll be a year or more behind you all ;)

Whew! I remember you were talking Phantom Stranger love in the Gene Colan thread. (Love for the DC character, not the DVDTalk poster.)

PhantomStranger 09-13-12 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777 (Post 11383186)
Whew! I remember you were talking Phantom Stranger love in the Gene Colan thread. (Love for the DC character, not the DVDTalk poster.)

Who says I'm not the DC character....;)

davidh777 09-13-12 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 11383244)
Who says I'm not the DC character....;)

Touche! :lol: