DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Comic Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk-57/)
-   -   Major DC Comics Character...out of closet? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk/601802-major-dc-comics-character-out-closet.html)

K&AJones 05-22-12 11:55 AM

Major DC Comics Character...out of closet?

Is Batman gay? Major DC Comics character to come out of the closet

DC Comics plans to reintroduce a character as gay in a future issue, it has been revealed

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...me-closet.html

Mike86 05-22-12 12:08 PM

Re: Major DC Comics Character...out of closet?

I can't see them actually making a main character like Superman, Batman, or Wonder Woman gay/lesbian to be honest. They're probably playing it off like a main character but I'm betting it's more a second tier character who's well known to the public as well as comic fans.

Hokeyboy 05-22-12 12:23 PM

It's gonna be General Glory.

davidh777 05-22-12 12:42 PM

Booster Gold would probably be too easy

fujishig 05-22-12 01:02 PM

Didio didn't say anything about a major character, only that whoever it is would be the most prominent gay character in the DC universe. Of course they're not going to touch the big guns (though I still say Batman has issues). I'd be surprised if it was even a second tier character like Batgirl or Gardner or whomever.

The problem I have with this is that it seems like it's just for publicity. It's not like they don't already have characters that are openly gay (are Apollo and Midnighter stilll a couple? And the last incarnation of the Justice League had a gay member). I already don't like that they've liberally changed existing characters. I'd have no problem if, say, the next Dr. Fate or whomever was gay, but why would they change the orientation of an existing character, new universe or not? Because someone has a compelling story in mind, or because it'll make an event? I guess we'll see.

Ringmaster 05-22-12 01:04 PM

It's

Spoiler:
North Star. Im going to plead ignorance though because I don't know who that is.

fujishig 05-22-12 01:05 PM

Uh, Northstar is the Marvel Comics character who was, perhaps, the first gay character in the two major comic universes. And he's getting married. But this is DC we're talking about.

Obi-Wanma 05-22-12 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ringmaster (Post 11242727)
It's

Spoiler:
North Star. Im going to plead ignorance though because I don't know who that is.

Northstar is a Marvel Character, and has been openly gay for many years.

Josh-da-man 05-22-12 01:12 PM

Maybe it will be Commissioner Gordon and Alfred, which could make for some awkward scenes around Wayne Manor.

Ringmaster 05-22-12 01:13 PM

I just realized that the thread was about DC and not Marvel, so I goofed.

But, Ill speculate that Green Arrow is the gay character. I mean, all that drinking and anguish the character has gone through was a cover up for something he wasn't admiting to himself imo. It's a wild idea and im saying it because it is outrageous, but we'll see.

Of course, I would be excited for wonder woman coming out of the closet ;)

Whiskey Warfield 05-22-12 01:18 PM

They've forgotten Batwoman so soon?

kgrogers1979 05-22-12 01:33 PM

It will probably be an alternate Earth from the multiverse. Like how Action Comics #9 was about a black Superman from Earth-23. Superman from Earth-24 will probably be gay.

Its like what Marvel is doing with their Ultimate universe, making Spidey a black kid and Colossus gay. They aren't the main 616 universe heroes, just alternate heroes that most people won't care either way.

Larry C. 05-22-12 01:55 PM

It's gotta be Robin.

Hokeyboy 05-22-12 02:00 PM

Green Arrow is probably the best guess I've heard yet. Although to retcon away his relationship with Black Canary takes a lot away from the character. :(

Maybe he hooked up with Vibe instead. Or Jericho. Or Element Lad. Or Cheeks the Toy Wonder. Or...

kgrogers1979 05-22-12 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Larry C. (Post 11242838)
It's gotta be Robin.

Damian, the current Robin? He's 10 years old and has a cute crush on Stephanie.

fujishig 05-22-12 02:17 PM

Stephanie? Spoiler/the former Batgirl/girl Robin is in the new 52 now?

So the VP of publicity said that it's a "major iconic DC character" and that "he" will reveal he's gay.

cleaver 05-22-12 02:23 PM

Tim Drake or John Stewart

kgrogers1979 05-22-12 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 11242884)
Stephanie? Spoiler/the former Batgirl/girl Robin is in the new 52 now?

Poor Stephanie. She was Robin for five minutes, then Batgirl for ten minutes, and now she is gone completely. :lol:

No, she hasn't been in the new 52 yet. She was in Morrison's Leviathan one-shot, but that was still technically pre-new 52. She may possibly show up in the new Batman Inc, but that may just be wishful thinking.

DonnachaOne 05-22-12 02:35 PM

Rawhide Kid.

Whiskey Warfield 05-22-12 02:57 PM

Bizarro.

dfmaverick2 05-22-12 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne (Post 11242918)
Rawhide Kid.

:lol:

Almost squirt soda out my nose on that one.

fujishig 05-22-12 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 (Post 11242911)
Poor Stephanie. She was Robin for five minutes, then Batgirl for ten minutes, and now she is gone completely. :lol:

No, she hasn't been in the new 52 yet. She was in Morrison's Leviathan one-shot, but that was still technically pre-new 52. She may possibly show up in the new Batman Inc, but that may just be wishful thinking.

Yeah, she was raped as a child, had a teenage pregnancy, gave the baby up for adoption, became Robin, was brutally beaten and killed, never got a tribute in the Batcave, then retconned/resurrected into a great new series written by Brian Q. Miller only to be nu52'd.

I can imagine the outrage if it turned out to be John Stewart.

Red Dog 05-22-12 03:27 PM

A lesbian Wonder Woman would probably break comic book sales records.

PhantomStranger 05-22-12 03:29 PM

Now I've seen quotes it's going to be an iconic DC character. Wonder Woman or maybe Aquaman would be the only logical choices. They are not going to mess with Superman or Batman.

Giantrobo 05-22-12 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 11243016)
Now I've seen quotes it's going to be an iconic DC character. Wonder Woman or maybe Aquaman would be the only logical choices. They are not going to mess with Superman or Batman.

Thats what I was thinking. When you think about it, a gay WW would be easy. Female sexuality is flexible so you can play with it.