Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

Old 01-13-19, 02:25 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts
Re: Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

Pogo is a classic. I’ll admit, as usual, and in no surprise to anyone, that my reading of Walt Kelly’s classic strip is quite incomplete. But I read enough back in the day to know that I’d love the whole thing and vowed to collect it all. Decades ago I started with some collections from Simon & Schuster, like this one: Then Fantagraphic started this nice series: Then there was also a series that collected the comics: Pretty sure that none of these three series were ever fully completed.

So I’m hopeful that these newer and wonderful hardcovers will see things through.
Old 01-13-19, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
It’s the couple spin off series as well. 35 single issues, and then 5 or collections duplicating the same (with extras maybe).
Ah ok. You were talking about the bundle on Dark Horse's website. I thought about it, but really don't want to spread my collection over a ton of apps. (Which is kind of how my computer gaming library is being fractured.) Would you recommend the series?
Old 01-13-19, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by stingo
Ah ok. You were talking about the bundle on Dark Horse's website. I thought about it, but really don't want to spread my collection over a ton of apps. (Which is kind of how my computer gaming library is being fractured.) Would you recommend the series?
Yeah, it stinks having my digital libraries of music, movies, games, and comics all spread across multiple platforms. If I knew then what I know now, I might have waited and done things differently.

But I don’t really regret having all my Dark Horse books at Dark Horse. Their app and system works as nicely as Comixology imo, and their historical pricing has been excellent. With bundles and the past yearly 60% off sales (even off bundles) you could own the entire Dark Horse pretty cheaply.

But yes, I’d highly recommend Black Hammer, with the usual caveat that I’ve only read the first few issues.
Old 01-13-19, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Aside from the small scale of Fantagraphics I can't help but wonder if part of it isn't that they try to keep digital prices on par with print costs, I understand the reasoning for this to support physical stores and not downgrade price but I think I'd be more inclined to pay more for nicely bound volumes than on digital.
Old 01-13-19, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
but I think I'd be more inclined to pay more for nicely bound volumes than on digital.
That’s where I was for most of my collecting life, but unless the Library of Congress is given to me, I’m out of space and need to embrace digital. I’ll still always have a huge physical collection for the really special stuff, but I’m hitting purge mode.
Old 01-13-19, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
Yeah, it stinks having my digital libraries of music, movies, games, and comics all spread across multiple platforms. If I knew then what I know now, I might have waited and done things differently.

But I don’t really regret having all my Dark Horse books at Dark Horse. Their app and system works as nicely as Comixology imo, and their historical pricing has been excellent. With bundles and the past yearly 60% off sales (even off bundles) you could own the entire Dark Horse pretty cheaply.

But yes, I’d highly recommend Black Hammer, with the usual caveat that I’ve only read the first few issues.
Thanks! Unfortunately their app is not compatible with the Kindle Fire, but I may still take the leap.
Old 01-16-19, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 371 Likes on 265 Posts

There’s another Dynamite Humble Bundle, lots of repeats, but still some new stuff

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/fan-faves-and-new-hits-dynamite-books?linkID=&mcID=102:5c3d2c5331c4609c01ef0193t:56e845f1733462ca8996e49f:1&utm_source=Humble+Bundle+Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2019_01_16_bestofdynamite_bookbundle&linkID=&utm_content=cta_button
Old 01-19-19, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I know the Fantagraphics sale has been mentioned, but I think the Usagi Yojimbo Special Edition could use some extra attention. It’s the first 38 issues of the series for only $20.

https://www.comixology.com/Usagi-Yoj...kgQtrRpTWWOSk0
Old 01-19-19, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

I just started the Comixology Unlimited trial plan - they have the complete Alita volumes there, so on that alone I've gotten my value's worth. If I choose to stay then it's only $5.99 per month thereafter.
Old 01-25-19, 12:46 PM

If Marvel wants to continue discounting digital comics to $0.25 (like with their prior Golden/Atlas sale) and $0.50 (in present Marvel Comics Presents sale) I'm not complaining but it was confusing at first seeing $0.24-0.42 issues (w/ Unlimted discount).
Old 02-06-19, 05:03 PM

At Marvel coupon code FOREVER redeems 5 Blank Panther digital comics including:
Black Panther (2005) #1
Black Panther: World of Wakanda (2016) #1
Marvel's Black Panther Prelude (2017) #1
Black Panther (2018) #1
Shuri (2018) #1

I think this ties into a promotion with the movie giving free screenings (remaining days are today and tomorrow), not sure when comic code expires:
Movie ticket freebie site - https://www.weticketit.com/blackpanther/
Old 02-06-19, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Want a ton of Spawn comics? Humble Bundle has you covered.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/s...s_tile_index_2
Old 02-06-19, 09:56 PM

Comixology has a Dynamite mega bundle for $19.99 including 112 issues, I understand this is similar to a recent Groupees bundle but on Cmx.

https://www.comixology.com/Dynamite-...le/bundle/1804
Old 02-07-19, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Dang I might have to sub to Comixology. I keep buying the bundles from Groupees or Humble but if they're in a better format (I get the PDFs) on Comixology that would be worth it.

Question - I somehow, sometimes, discover free comics on Amazon Prime on my Kindle. You can apparently check out 10 at a time.
Is there a storefront or department on Amazon.com the website to manage those easier and get new stuff? Each time I find it, I luck into it from some insanely circuitous method.

Oh yeah, and I definitely wish DC Universe subscription somehow translated to Comixology sub - even just the DC stuff.

Last edited by tonyc3742; 02-07-19 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-13-19, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 02-14-19, 08:44 AM

Dark Horse 50% off coupon today only (2/14/19) at Comixology is DH50 - stacks with current sales on Umbrella Academy and video game tie-ins.
Old 02-18-19, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dark Horse 50% off coupon today only (2/14/19) at Comixology is DH50 - stacks with current sales on Umbrella Academy and video game tie-ins.
That's how I ended up with Black Hammer: Library Edition and a few other goodies.

As for Comixology, I think I make up for the cost of the subscription from what I save in discounts that are included with the sale prices.
Old 02-25-19, 09:49 PM

On Comixology the Dark Horse 'kids sale' (through 3/4/19) would be unremarkable except that it features Usagi Yojimbo and barring a last minute fire sale may be one of the last opportunities to get it for a discount while Dark Horse still have the property (with it moving to IDW in June). I see there is a Usagi Yojimbo Saga collection 8 scheduled for release on May 28, 2019 that presumably completes the series in economical collected format but hard to be confident DH will push that one out a week or so before losing their rights entirely (although with Conan they released a last minute trade). IDW will republish much of the Usagi Yojimbo material (colorized) so there may be no 'rush' to get it from DH..

Last edited by Undeadcow; 02-25-19 at 09:55 PM.
Old 02-26-19, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sakai moving Usagi makes me worried about Dark Horse. They’re losing a lot of books lately,

I’ll probably pick up Hellscreen and the last mini with this sale to complete my Dark Horse collection. I don’t want to wait for IDW to get around to collecting those.
Old 02-26-19, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Sakai moving Usagi makes me worried about Dark Horse. They’re losing a lot of books lately,

I’ll probably pick up Hellscreen and the last mini with this sale to complete my Dark Horse collection. I don’t want to wait for IDW to get around to collecting those.
It is bothersome that Dark Horse keeps losing property after property - Star Wars, Conan, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, The Goon, now Usagi Yojimbo. I heard they made a deal involving movie rights for some their (remaining) titles that hopefully gave them more capital. Not sure what happened with The Goon.
Old 03-01-19, 10:44 PM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

On Comixology the Dark Horse 'kids sale' (through 3/4/19) would be unremarkable except that it features Usagi Yojimbo and barring a last minute fire sale may be one of the last opportunities to get it for a discount while Dark Horse still have the property (with it moving to IDW in June). I see there is a Usagi Yojimbo Saga collection 8 scheduled for release on May 28, 2019 that presumably completes the series in economical collected format but hard to be confident DH will push that one out a week or so before losing their rights entirely (although with Conan they released a last minute trade). IDW will republish much of the Usagi Yojimbo material (colorized) so there may be no 'rush' to get it from DH..

According to Stan Sakai:

Originally Posted by Stan Sakai
Fantagraphics and Dark Horse will still have the rights to their B/W books if they continue to want to publish them (which they do). IDW will eventually make new editions of those material in color, along with collections of the new stories.
Also, there likely will be a Saga vol. 9 from Dark Horse:

Originally Posted by Stan Sakai (via Facebook)
We have not discussed this yet, but Dark Horse does have the rights to do a Saga 9. It would be a slimmer volume containing UY Book 32: Mysteries and Book 33: The Hidden.
Old 03-02-19, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,875 Posts

Isn’t Mignola starting to wind down his Hellboyverse? Hellboy proper seems to have ended, and BPRD is coming to a conclusion, too.
Old 03-02-19, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Crap! I didn't know that Sakai was taking Usagi Yojimbo to IDW.
Old 03-05-19, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Has anyone gotten a bunch of refunds from Comixology recently? Yesterday, and again today, I received a couple emails stating I was being issued refunds from AmazonPay. They're not large dollar amounts, .14, .10, .42, .17, with the largest being 2.16. All in all, it totals (so far) 4.14. Nothing seems to be missing from my book collection, so I have no idea why I'm getting these refunds.
Old 03-05-19, 12:31 PM

Humble has a couple of good comic bundles right now, Star Trek and Gaming.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.