Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-18, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts
Re: Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

Amazon Amazon

Another Amazon glitch for free, this time a Harley Quinn Trade.
Old 10-25-18, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Damn, I missed the glitches.
Old 10-31-18, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There’s an 80s Kickstarter that would be a good way to get a bunch of classic GI Joe and Transformers, plus a bunch of other stuff that probably sucks.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/b...ent=cta_button
Old 11-27-18, 06:21 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

$15 of $30 with the code Thanks18. Great for some of the indy titles that never go on sale.
Old 11-28-18, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Comixology sent out an e-mail with $10 off a $20+ purchase (expired 11/30) seemed geared towards Comixology Unlimited subscribers, codes unique but maybe double check your e-mail if part of CU.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 11-28-18 at 08:43 AM.
Old 11-29-18, 12:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RonG617
$15 of $30 with the code Thanks18. Great for some of the indy titles that never go on sale.
Thanks(18) for that! worked for me.
Old 11-29-18, 01:08 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Humble has another Aspen bundle.
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/h...s_tile_index_2
Old 11-30-18, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by RonG617
Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Comixology sent out an e-mail with $10 off a $20+ purchase (expired 11/30) seemed geared towards Comixology Unlimited subscribers, codes unique but maybe double check your e-mail if part of CU.
First-world problems: These both expire today.

I cashed in on both!
Old 11-30-18, 05:00 PM

Both here too! Silly of me perhaps, since I can borrow them for free, but I couldn’t resist the Comixology Originals sale, 99 cent collections, made 62 cents each in my case with the coupon, are tough to resist.
Old 12-10-18, 06:03 AM

Vampirella Archives on sale for $2.99 each at Comixology and Kindle. Cheaper if you have unlimited.
https://www.comixology.com/Vampirell...cmllc1NsaWRlcg
Old 12-21-18, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

This Marvel sale is insane. So many titles. No, they're not 99 cents, but I'm still going to get a bunch.
Old 12-23-18, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Question about the “EC Archives” series.

What’s up with these books on Comixology? They seem to skip over a lot of the volumes for no apparent reason. For example, they have Tales from the Crypt volumes 1, 2, 4, and 5, but not volume 3, and Weird Science volumes 1 and 4, but not 2 and 3. There doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason for what’s available and what isn’t.

Does anyone know what’s going on here, and if the missing volumes will become available in the future?
Old 12-23-18, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Question about the “EC Archives” series.

What’s up with these books on Comixology? They seem to skip over a lot of the volumes for no apparent reason. For example, they have Tales from the Crypt volumes 1, 2, 4, and 5, but not volume 3, and Weird Science volumes 1 and 4, but not 2 and 3. There doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason for what’s available and what isn’t.

Does anyone know what’s going on here, and if the missing volumes will become available in the future?
Gemstone Publishing originally had the publishing rights for the EC material and started the Archives series. When Dark Horse picked up the rights, they continued the line but instead of immediately reprinting the content that was already printed, they picked up where the other company left off.
So, for example with Tales from the Crypt, Gemstone did up to 3. DH did 4 & 5, then went back to reprint 1 & 2. They haven't re-released 3 yet.
Old 12-23-18, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
This Marvel sale is insane. So many titles. No, they're not 99 cents, but I'm still going to get a bunch.
The DC sale is no slouch either. There's stuff I'd like to buy, but my wallet is saying no! no! no!
Old 12-23-18, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bob_Bobbson
Gemstone Publishing originally had the publishing rights for the EC material and started the Archives series. When Dark Horse picked up the rights, they continued the line but instead of immediately reprinting the content that was already printed, they picked up where the other company left off.
So, for example with Tales from the Crypt, Gemstone did up to 3. DH did 4 & 5, then went back to reprint 1 & 2. They haven't re-released 3 yet.
So are waiting until they do a physical reprint before they release a digital to Comixology? Seems like people wouldn’t want to buy Weird Science v1 and v4 from Comixology until they know v2 and v3 would be released. Since these are digital releases of existing material, I would think that it would be easy to dump all of the backlog onto Comixology unless there was some kind of contractual holdup.
Old 12-24-18, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
So are waiting until they do a physical reprint before they release a digital to Comixology? Seems like people wouldn’t want to buy Weird Science v1 and v4 from Comixology until they know v2 and v3 would be released. Since these are digital releases of existing material, I would think that it would be easy to dump all of the backlog onto Comixology unless there was some kind of contractual holdup.
It seems like literally all it is, is that Dark Horse doesn't want to sell them digitally if they haven't been re-released physically yet.

When I started collecting these Tales from the Crypt Vol 2 wasn't on Comixology, then once the physical reprint was released it was added.

It's weird, but that's how they're handling it.
Old 12-24-18, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There may be restoration to do, which would mean added time an expense. Plus, releasing it digitally first might cut into physical sales, or piss off physical store owners.
Old 12-24-18, 09:15 AM

Noticed something troubling the other day. I usually buy my DC digital comics thru their app, since 20% off iTunes cards is a better discount than 5% off thru a Comixology-retailer. In the past, those DC app purchaes always instantly showed up in my Comixology account. But during this big DC holiday sale, I noticed some books that I swear I had purchased before. Did some experimenting and sure enough, DC app purchases were not always crossing over. Some were doing so instantly, some delayed an hour or two, and some not even a day later.

So I had about a dozen titles in my Comixology cart that were showing as purchased in the DC app, and I logged out of the DC app and immediately back in. Refreshed my Comixology cart and all those titles were removed as already purchased.

So now I fear that I’ve possibly doubly-purchased dozens of titles over the years. Doubt that Comixology would be able or willing to tell me, and the only way I’d be able to tell is by searching thousands of email transactions. Ugh. So maybe the moral of the story is to periodically refresh all the various apps, since this may be happening to others with the Marvel, DC, Boom, etc apps.
Old 12-26-18, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bob_Bobbson
It seems like literally all it is, is that Dark Horse doesn't want to sell them digitally if they haven't been re-released physically yet.

When I started collecting these Tales from the Crypt Vol 2 wasn't on Comixology, then once the physical reprint was released it was added.

It's weird, but that's how they're handling it.
Yeah, they’re probably concerned about digital sales cutting into physical, where they have to put up money to print the books. Which seems kind of silly because these are the kinds of books people will want to own in a physical format, and it’s evergreen material that will always sell in physical formats.

I was curious because I was considering picking up some of the Archives hardcovers and thought that looking at what was on Comixology might show what all had been printed and what hadn’t.

I currently have the slipcased B&W Library editions for Crypt, Haunt, and Vault, and the Gemstone Annuals for Weird Science/Fantasy/ISF, Shock Suspenstories, and Impact, and was considering upgrading the softcover annuals to the Archive HCs.

I was reluctant to buy the Archives initially because of the recoloring, but now that I’ve seen a lot of it, it doesn’t bother me much. I’d probably pass on the horror ones I have in the Library editions, though, because I don’t plan to get rid of those and don’t want to buy fifteen more $50 books.

I at least want to get the science fiction and Impact hardcovers (when they get around to it) as well.
Old 12-30-18, 11:52 PM

I'm surprised Dark Horse hasn't done a fire sale for Conan or Buffy like they did when they lost the Star Wars license. I don't see Conan Omnibus sets on sale through Amazon anymore and assume Comixology will delist them shortly - Dark Horse rights end with the new year, right? Not sure on Buffy timeframe.
Old 12-31-18, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I'm surprised Dark Horse hasn't done a fire sale for Conan or Buffy like they did when they lost the Star Wars license. I don't see Conan Omnibus sets on sale through Amazon anymore and assume Comixology will delist them shortly - Dark Horse rights end with the new year, right? Not sure on Buffy timeframe.
Yeah, that’s disappointing. Back in 2014, they had a big Star Wars sale on ComiXology plus the mega bundle on their own site over the final five days of the year before their rights expired. This time, nothing.
Old 12-31-18, 09:23 AM

Ugh, a reminder that I bought that Star Wars megabundle. It pains me that one, don’t think I’ve read any of it yet, and two, really only ‘saved’ $100 or so in buying it because I had bought so much of it previously.
Old 12-31-18, 10:42 AM

With Star Wars, I also bought the Dark Horse megabundle but the relisted Marvel 'Epic Collections' are frequently so cheap that I've picked up a few of those and expect Marvel will have been the better value over the long term for patient budget conscious shoppers; maybe the same will be true of Conan and/or Buffy.
Old 12-31-18, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Note that I've heard the Comixology app on Android has Conan titles at $5.99 and will also accept the Dark Horse 50% off code DH50. I don't have an Android, unfortunately.

I resisted the megabundle because I don't like to split my purchases across services. I like Star Wars comics but I'm not nuts about them, so I haven't rebought any of the DH omniboo and have just been gradually picking up the Epics.

For Conan, I've bought several of the DH omniboo and a handful of the Savage Sword volumes but none of the Chronicles. So I'll be interested in what Marvel releases.
Old 12-31-18, 11:32 AM

The Dark Horse website was also allowing the Conan collections at half off the $5.99 sale price, but I’m getting a checkout glitch. If it works, one ould get the entire near 300 issue Marvel run for about $100. Similar pricing on the magazine series collections. I’ve already bought about half of it all in similar previous sales, but may finish it out at those prices.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.