Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-18, 05:51 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

BOGO Image sale with code Image. If you don't have unlimited, it is now a good time to get it since you get an additional 15% off on top of the sale.
Old 07-18-18, 11:15 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

sale at Dark Horse digital has every collection at just $3.99, even the huge 400+ omnibuses.
Old 07-18-18, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
sale at Dark Horse digital has every collection at just $3.99, even the huge 400+ omnibuses.
Man I'm always worried they're just going to say screw it and shut down their portal and just use comixology.
Old 07-18-18, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig
Man I'm always worried they're just going to say screw it and shut down their portal and just use comixology.
I’m not worried. If they do, I imagine they’d transfer everything one owns over to Comixology, and/or let you download your purchases, and/or stop sales but keep books on their servers for previous customers.

And if any company closes shop or takes away my access to anything I purchased, everything is still free somewhere on the internet. I’ll find it when I want it.
Old 07-18-18, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Comixology has a 60% off DC code that results in some excellent, better than ever pricing, because not only is the coupon above average but may trades already have minor ~30% discounts.

The Dark Horse sale is also on Comixology.
Old 07-18-18, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Is the DC code unique, or something that will work for everyone?
Old 07-18-18, 05:15 PM

DC60 is for everyone.
Old 07-19-18, 08:32 AM

Pre-order deal is up at dcuniverse.com where you get 3 free months with a one year $75 sub. Details still aren’t complete, but it’s shaping up to be a nice looking service. I’ll wait a bit to see if a promo code or other sign-up bonus materializes before the Fall start, but I’m definitely signing up.
Old 07-19-18, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Pre-order deal is up at dcuniverse.com where you get 3 free months with a one year $75 sub. Details still aren’t complete, but it’s shaping up to be a nice looking service. I’ll wait a bit to see if a promo code or other sign-up bonus materializes before the Fall start, but I’m definitely signing up.
It's going to have to have a lot of comics to get me to subscribe for a year. I'm curious to see what the selection is going to be.
Old 07-19-18, 10:34 AM

It's going to have to have a lot of comics to get me to subscribe for a year. I'm curious to see what the selection is going to be.
I already pretty much own every DC comic, movie, and TV show, but the HD BTAS and exclusives are worth $5 a month for me.
Old 07-19-18, 10:36 AM

My two biggest worlds are colliding. Free MST3K comic sampler at Comixology and Dark Horse.
https://digital.darkhorse.com/books/...ashcan-edition
https://www.comixology.com/Mystery-S...l-comic/698242

Also, several other recent freebies at the wiki links above.
Old 07-19-18, 11:40 AM

I have no faith in DC to make this a good service for comic readers. If they did it like Marvel Unlimited with all comics getting released after a six month delay to make retailers happy, I would be subscribed the rest of my life. But they keep throwing out the word "curated". So that means just bits and pieces and I don't want that.
Old 07-19-18, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I wouldn't say I have every DC comic I'd ever want, but I have enough to keep me busy for years. And I think I've seen all the movies except for some of the animated ones. The primary appeal for me would be the TV series, but I haven't gotten around to catching up with them as long as they've been on streaming services, so there's not a lot of appeal for me at the moment.
Old 07-19-18, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, Marvel Unlimited in the early years drove me crazy with gaps in series, making it tough to read things chronologically. That "curated" word is what makes me suspicious, too, as well as the fact the comic part is not the main drive of this subscription.

They also need an awesome ios/android app to read comics, because that was the biggest drawback in early Marvel Unlimited days.
Old 07-20-18, 09:58 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

You mean the original series right? There have been dozens of Crow series, many on Comixology, but not the original. In fact, it looks like nothing from Kitchen Sink has been digitized. Rights issues maybe?
Originally Posted by Red Hood
Yes, I meant the original. It seems that the book and digital version is on Amazon through Simon & Shuester, not a comic book publisher.
On a follow up about the Crow, the only version available digitally is the Special Edition, with added panels and pages as James O'Barr wanted to do back in the day. It's similar to Lucas adding stuff to the Star Wars trilogy. The original version of the first mini-series, as well as everything else that was released by Caliber, Kitchen Sink, Tundra and Image, is not available digitally.
Old 07-21-18, 05:01 PM

Yeah, Marvel Unlimited in the early years drove me crazy with gaps in series, making it tough to read things chronologically. That "curated" word is what makes me suspicious, too, as well as the fact the comic part is not the main drive of this subscription.

They also need an awesome ios/android app to read comics, because that was the biggest drawback in early Marvel Unlimited days.
I'm not worried about gaps in back issues. I have every back issue I ever wanted collected through the sales over the years. I just wanted all new titles to read six months after they come out. I also don't like that they are taking money without even going into Beta and not offering a free two weeks or month like just about every other sub/streaming service does. Seems like a quick cash grab because they think people won't stick around.
Old 07-31-18, 02:28 PM

Just noticed that a Humble book bundle ending in 22 hours has several manga and cat cartoon books from Jeffrey Brown.
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/p...n=tile_index_6
Old 08-01-18, 02:45 PM

New Groupees bundle includes a generous free tier.
https://groupees.com/dynamite-women
Old 08-01-18, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

I saw some interesting figures about digital comics over the past five years. The entire American comics market is approximately 50% trades, 40% floppies, and 10% digital, give or take a few percent either way for all three categories each year. Biggest growth over the last five years has actually been in trades. Digital readership isn't growing as fast as they expected in comics.
Old 08-02-18, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Anyone have recommendations on the Death of Superman sale at Amazon/Comixology?

Amazon Amazon

I'm thinking of getting the main Death of Superman comic plus the Reign and Return arcs for nostalgia sake, but wasn't sure if Funeral for a Friend or the Doomsday comics are worth it.

Also, recommendations on some of the other Superman comics, old or new?
Old 08-02-18, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I saw some interesting figures about digital comics over the past five years. The entire American comics market is approximately 50% trades, 40% floppies, and 10% digital, give or take a few percent either way for all three categories each year. Biggest growth over the last five years has actually been in trades. Digital readership isn't growing as fast as they expected in comics.
Ah, where did you see that? Comixology really seems to keep their numbers close to the vest. And I wonder how many people who would otherwise go digital just pirate instead (which is sad).
Old 08-03-18, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

All-Star Superman

Superman: Red Son

Superman: Lois and Clark

Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?

Superman: Secret Origin

If you just want straightforward superhero team-ups, all the Superman/Batman volumes are pretty good reads.
Old 08-03-18, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ah, where did you see that? Comixology really seems to keep their numbers close to the vest. And I wonder how many people who would otherwise go digital just pirate instead (which is sad).
Digital sales would likely go up if the big two allowed cheaper variable pricing on their comics - but they don't want to cut into their existing floppy sales.

DC and Marvel are making most of their money these days on trade paperbacks. There's a company that tracks comic book sales. They have a website I've seen but it's a strange name that isn't coming to me at the moment.

Dan Didio just said something along the lines that the industry would be more profitable if comic book publishers wouldn't release so many books - implying there are only so many books the current readership can support at any one time.
Old 08-03-18, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Digital sales would likely go up if the big two allowed cheaper variable pricing on their comics - but they don't want to cut into their existing floppy sales.

DC and Marvel are making most of their money these days on trade paperbacks. There's a company that tracks comic book sales. They have a website I've seen but it's a strange name that isn't coming to me at the moment.

Dan Didio just said something along the lines that the industry would be more profitable if comic book publishers wouldn't release so many books - implying there are only so many books the current readership can support at any one time.
Is it that they don't want to cut into their floppy sales, or that they don't want to (yet) tick off every single one of the physical stores that still order their books on a regular basis?
Old 08-03-18, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is it that they don't want to cut into their floppy sales, or that they don't want to (yet) tick off every single one of the physical stores that still order their books on a regular basis?
It's probably some of both. Marvel and DC don't want customers getting used to regularly paying cheaper digital prices for their content. Because that would mean they need more readers than the comic book market has now to keep the same profit level.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.