Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

Old 04-27-14, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,667 Posts
Re: Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

The in app Store drove a lot of my impulse purchases. They at least need to make the sales show up in the app so I know what's on sale, even if I can't buy it on my ipad.

I think I would have less of a problem with this had they first integrated with the amazon purchasing/kindle push system they have with kindle purchases. Now you have to go to the website, login, find your comic, purchase, confirm purchase, go to the app, download. It doesn't help that they were recently hacked and I changed my password to some unmemorizable beast.

Last edited by fujishig; 04-27-14 at 04:05 AM.
Old 04-27-14, 07:21 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 684 Likes on 459 Posts

Looks like no new Comixology sales, freebies, or bundles today, the weekend norm. I used up my $5 free credit on some of the DC Secret Origin books.

The Transformers sale ends today; anyone read that and have a recommendation?
Old 04-27-14, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,321 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
The in app Store drove a lot of my impulse purchases.
Ditto.

I'm curious to see how, if at all, Comixology gets incorporated into amazon.com. With as much time as I spend on Amazon already, maybe that'll help with discoverability, one-stop shopping, etc.
Old 04-27-14, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My only annoyance is that, apparently, you have to re-download all of your stuff. The new app doesn't sync with the old apps downloads. I don't know this first hand, this has just been reported. I have 30-40 gigs worth of comics through the old app and I've only read about 10% of them, so I'm going to keep using the old app for a long-assed time.

Last edited by malichai; 04-27-14 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-28-14, 09:17 AM

Today's Marvel Monday has the first 67 issues of Amazing Spider-man at 99 cents each; no bundle.
Old 04-29-14, 07:08 AM

Today starts a three day sale on Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales; three graphic novels discounted to $4 each.

Anyone ever read these?
Old 04-29-14, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Humble Image Comics Bundle:
https://www.humblebundle.com/

Pay what you want for:
East of West 1
Fatale 1
Lazarus 1
Morning Glories 1

Beat the Average for:

Saga 1
Chew 1
Revival 1

Pay 15$ for:

Walking Dead 1 and 20

Compatible with computers and mobile devices. These comics are available in multiple formats including CBR, CBZ, PDF and ePub, so they work on your computer, eBook readers and a wide array of mobile devices! Instructions and a list of recommended reading programs can be found here. Please note that these comic books are best viewed on a high definition device.

Support comics! You choose where your money goes: between Image Comics and the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund, a non-profit organization dedicated to the protection of the First Amendment rights of the comics art form and its community. If you like this promotion, a tip to Humble Bundle would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-29-14, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,667 Posts

I was thinking that was a terrible deal for individual issues (15 bucks?) but for the first tpbs of all of these? Great deal, thanks for posting!
Old 04-29-14, 07:40 PM

It really is a nice deal. I thought I owned most of them from the recent Comixology sale, but I guess I skipped a few of the titles. 5 trades of really well written books I 'needed' and a few dupes for $15 is a great deal.

Of course, these being "off the Comixology grid" means I'll forget I own them and buy them again someday. I wish Comixology had a feature that let you mark items as owned elsewhere.
Old 04-29-14, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fujishig
I was thinking that was a terrible deal for individual issues (15 bucks?) but for the first tpbs of all of these? Great deal, thanks for posting!
Yeah, I should have made that clear.

I'm betting we'll see a few additions before it's over, probably Invincible and who knows what else.
Old 04-30-14, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,961 Likes on 2,024 Posts

Not impressed with Comixology at all.

Not long ago I downloaded the app on my iPad, and "bought" a handful of free books.

Now, I've had to re-download the new Comixology app and set up an account with Comixology.

Fine.

And then I had to re-synch my old iTunes account with the new account. Frankly it was kind of a pain in the ass, and it seems like I've lost some of the comics in my library. The free Stray Bullets #2, #3, and #4, and the free Hate #1 comics are nowhere to be found in my cloud purchases in the new app, though they're still there in my old app. These comics are no longer free in the store; is it because they're no longer 'free' the reason I can't redownload them to the new app?

And I also don't see a $5 credit anywhere in my account.

Really unimpressed with Comixology in the month or so I've been using it. I'll probably delete the app and never bother with them again. The viewing experience isn't bad, but I don't like the way it catalogs my series, and I'm really pissed that they've already 'lost' four books I've 'purchased.' (Granted, they were free, but if it's that easy for things to fall out of my account I don't want anything to do with them.)
Old 04-30-14, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I have used Comixology a bit for free stuff along with a series here or there. The day I can download CBR files is the time I use it far more then I currently do. (Yeah, that will never happen, such a crazy idea to own what we pay for)
Old 04-30-14, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 375 Likes on 269 Posts

Josh, over on Bleeding Cool some people reported the same issue and a Comixology rep suggested using the support/help/whatever contact email on the site to get that straightened out.

March: Book One, the autobiography of congressman John Lewis is currently $3.99 on Comixology. It's won all kinds of awards.
Old 04-30-14, 06:34 AM

Josh, the free credit shows up on the website when you log-in; but it's only supposed to go to people who paid for comics, so don't be surprised if you don't get it.

The syncing takes awhile sometimes, plus it works best if you did it in the specific order of their one-time instructions, but they will fix it if you ask.
Old 05-01-14, 07:18 AM

No new sales, bundles, or freebies today.
Old 05-02-14, 07:28 AM

Three new sales start today, one with a bundle option; no new freebies.

From Marvel, ending 5/4/14, a sale on Amazing Spider-man, Dan Slott/Big Time era, issues 648 - 700, 56 total issues due to some .1s.

From Dynamite, we get a horror sale thru 5/4/14, eight collections and 47 singles. Single issues at $.99 each are Ash and the Army of Darkness 1-4, Army of Darkness vs Hack/Slash 1-6, Evil Ernie 1-6, Amanda Hocking's The Hollows 1-10, Cyptozoic Man 1-4, Dean Koontz's Frankenstein: Prodigal Son vol. 2 1-5, LA Banks' Vampire Huntress 1-4, Raise the Dead 1-4, and Raise the Dead II 1-4. Collections are the Army of Darkness Movie Adaptation for $3, Evil Ernie vol 1: Origin of Ernie for $5, Amanda Hocking's The Hollows: A Hollowland Graphic Novel for $7, Dean Koontz's Fear Nothing vol 1 for $5, Dark Shadows vol 1 for $4, The Living Corpse Exhumed for $5, The Complete Dracula for $5, and Curse of the Wendigo for $4.

From Image/Top Cow, also ending 5/4/14, a Witchblade sale. Issues 1-100 at $.99 each, or bundled for $70, or twenty different collections covering issues 1-169 for $4-7 each. Also included is The Art of Witchblade book for $5.
Old 05-02-14, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Also, I just got an email from Dark Horse saying that they are having a big Star Wars sale for this weekend, starting today, to celebrate Star Wars Day (May the forth)

150 Comic Mega Bundle ($100)
Star Wars Ongoing (#1-13), Agent of the Empire (#1-5), Blood Ties: The Tale of Jango & Boba Fett (#1-4), Blood Ties: Boba Fett is Dead (#1-4), Boba Fett: Enemy of the Empire (#1-4), Crimson Empire (#1-6), Crimson Empire II (#1-6), Crimson Empire III (#1-6), Dark Empire (#1-6), Dark Empire II (#1-6), Dark Times (#1-5), Darth Maul (#1-4) Darth Maul: Death Sentence (#1-4), Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir #1 Preview, Darth Vader & The Cry of Shadows (#1-5), Darth Vader & The Ghost Prison (#1-5), Darth Vader & The Lost Command (#1-5), Darth Vader & The Ninth Assassin (#1-5), Dawn of the Jedi (#1-5), Invasion (#1-5), Jedi: The Dark Side (#1-5), Legacy Vol. 2 (#1-13), Lost Tribe of the Sith: Spiral (#1-5), Rebellion (#1-10), Tag & Bink Are Dead (#1-2), Tag & Bink: Revenge of the Clone Menace (One-Shot), The Old Republic (#1-6), The Old Republic: Lost Suns (#1-5)

Kids Mega Bundle ($30)
6 Star Wars Adventures Issues, 10 Clone Wars Adventures Issues, Episode One Adventures and Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir #1 Preview

Omnibuses 50% off

Menace Revealed ($7.99)
Wild Space Vol.1, Vol. 2 ($9.99 ea)
A Long Time Ago... Vol. 1, Vol. 2, Vol. 3, Vol. 4, Vol. 5 ($9.99 ea)
Rise of the Sith ($7.99)
Droids ($7.99)
Droids & Ewoks ($7.99)
Quinlan Vos: Jedi in Darkness ($7.99)
Tales of the Jedi: Vol. 1, Vol. 2 ($7.99 ea)
X-Wing: Rogue Squadron Vol. 1, Vol. 2, Vol. 3 ($7.99 ea)

Free Starter Bundles
Knights of the Old Republic (#1-4)
Empire (#1-4)
Legacy (#1-4)

Last edited by Bob_Bobbson; 05-02-14 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-02-14, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,083 Likes on 891 Posts

Clone Wars Adventures seem great for digital: Fun little throwaway stories that I feel silly to own in print, but would be nice quick reads on the go.
Old 05-02-14, 11:28 PM

Happy Free Comic Book Day everyone!

No new sales at Comixology, but they are getting into the FCBD spirit with two free sections on their homepage:

an Image Free Firsts section with an easy-to-add-all 142 free number ones; nothing new, but all together for the first time iirc

22 of their Comixology Submit comics are free, including 7 that weren't part of the SSX bundle

So even if you don't have local comic book stores, or can't make the trek out today, there are over 200 free books at Comixology.com today. And at least some of the the actual FCBD books will likely be added later. And Darkhorse.com has their usual freebies and 12 new freebies as part of their May the Fourth Be With You sale.
Old 05-04-14, 01:45 PM

Nothing new at Comixology, but the Dark Horse sale continues, and Amazon has a literal ton of Star Wars books on sale today.

May the Fourth be with you!
Old 05-04-14, 05:03 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the updates Trevor. Makes life a lot easier for me.
Old 05-04-14, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by RonG617
Thanks for the updates Trevor. Makes life a lot easier for me.
You're very welcome. Just trying to be part of the village, a small piece of the nerdy part of town....

Marvel Monday is a Jason Aaron sale.

They have it as a bundle, 47 issues for only $45.99, saving you 53 cents! But then, we all should have at least five of these books already (the previous freebies).

X-Men: Schism 1-5

Incredible Hulk vol 3 1-15 with 7.1

Astonishing Spider-man and Wolverine 1-6

Ultimate Comics: Captain America 1-4

Wolverine: Weapon X 1-16
Old 05-04-14, 10:38 PM

There's also another one day sale, this one on a couple 24 books.
Old 05-04-14, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

In regards to the ComiXology changes, I'd recommend Amazon do the following for iOS users:

1. Move everyone so they must use Amazon.com credentials to buy a comic, since Amazon.com now owns ComiXology. Current ComiXology customers can automatically get a US$10 to US$40 Amazon purchase credit depending on how many comics purchased through ComiXology in the past.

2. Create a new, touch-centric web site designed specifically around Safari for iOS, effectively duplicating on a special web page the old in-app purchase experience as much as possible. Essentially, you would browse this touch-centric web page first before buying the comic for download to the digital reader.

3. Allow current ComiXology customers to move all past purchases to the "cloud" like they do now with the purchase of Kindle e-books, so the digital comic books could be downloaded to the iOS app on an "as needed" basis.
Old 05-05-14, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,083 Likes on 891 Posts

Thanks for the heads up on all these offers!

On Comixology, I got all the Image Firsts--easy in a web browser. I've never actually bought anything there, but I have to say there are some nice deals, like those Spider-Man collections for $3.99.

On Dark Horse, I got the free SW bundles.

And on Amazon, I caved and got six of the 1.99 selections: Two Dawn of the Jedi and four of the Old Republic, and one 0.99 Clone Wars Adventures. I have two or three of the physical digests so I played it safe and bought the very last one. The Dark Horse omniboo were tempting as well, but I own four or five of the physical ones and have only read a couple so I held off. I generally enjoy the newer SW series.

EDIT: I got three volumes of The Old Republic, and the #4 that I bought was KNIGHTS of the Old Republic. Apparently there are only three volumes of the Old Republic. Darn these similar titles and my shopping quickly before midnight.

Last edited by davidh777; 05-05-14 at 02:37 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.