Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

Old 05-31-24, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,667 Posts
Re: Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

Humble has several bundles right now.

The BPRD Hellboy bundle is especially cool because they tiered it so that the top tier has the 2023 Mignola Bundle plus the new stuff but you can just get the new stuff on a lower tier if you already bought the bundle last year. I wish more would do this and I would buy this just for that alone.

There's an IDW TMNT bundle that looks awesome but it's Kobo.

Witcher/Cyberpunk by Dark Horse

Dynamite 20th anniversary (I have a previous Dynamite bundle from long ago it is only 20 bucks)

and finally a Dr. Who bundle.

Old 05-31-24, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 375 Likes on 269 Posts

I tried to log in to Humble Bundle, but it says itís sending a code to my email, and it never comes. Iíve checked spam and everything. I want this Hellboy bundle!
Old 05-31-24, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I tried to log in to Humble Bundle, but it says it’s sending a code to my email, and it never comes. I’ve checked spam and everything. I want this Hellboy bundle!
You might want to contact them.

I had an issue where I wasn't getting emails from Backerkit (totally unaffiliated), and I had to contact them... turns out they were blocking my email address because earlier in the year my mailbox had filled up and was sending stuff back to them.

edited to add: seems like they quote 14+ days max to get back to you and this ends in 8, so if you really want it and they don't get back to you maybe just create another account?
The following users liked this post:
majorjoe23 (06-01-24)
Old 06-05-24, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 375 Likes on 269 Posts

They got back to me! They sent me a code, so I was able to get logged in, but...

For some reason when I click "Continue to payment" on my phone, nothing happens. I figured I would log in on my computer, but there I'm having the same issues with them not sending the code to my email.

This is frustrating.
Old 06-27-24, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow, a Cerberus Humble Bundle...

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/c...dave-sim-books

Not a huge fan of Sim now but I might have to bite on this.

The IDW TMNT humble bundle is awesome as well but Kobo, ugh.

BackStJoe (06-28-24)
Old 06-27-24, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts

Thanks for the pointer. I have always been interested in Cerebus but never really read it so I'll probably pick it up (but wow, just a little reading about Sim, eesh, he's a troubled and troublesome guy.)

I was able to convert the Pratchett e-books from Kobo to epub when they had that bundle, it was sort of a pain but it did work. Not sure how feasible it is for comics and I'm not a huge TMNT fan.

(Humorous timing coincidence - I am currently reading the physical omnibus for Normalman, which was originally released by Aardvark Vanaheim as well. Not to be 'that guy' and I know there were and still are lots of issues with the industry, but I miss the days of browsing the comic shop racks and seeing all the indies right up there with the Marvel and DC books.)
Old 06-27-24, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,971 Likes on 2,029 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyc3742
Thanks for the pointer. I have always been interested in Cerebus but never really read it so I'll probably pick it up (but wow, just a little reading about Sim, eesh, he's a troubled and troublesome guy.)
You have to give him credit for being way ahead of the curve on all of that incel/MRA/redpill shit, though. He was beating that particular drum decades before anyone had ever heard of gamergate.

majorjoe23 (06-27-24)
Old 06-27-24, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,971 Likes on 2,029 Posts

At least the Cerebus charity money is going to a foodbank and not something horrible, so those who are curious about it can buy it knowing the money is going to a good cause.
The following 2 users liked this post by Josh-da-man:
fujishig (06-27-24), majorjoe23 (06-27-24)
Old 06-27-24, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by tonyc3742

I was able to convert the Pratchett e-books from Kobo to epub when they had that bundle, it was sort of a pain but it did work. Not sure how feasible it is for comics and I'm not a huge TMNT fan.

(Humorous timing coincidence - I am currently reading the physical omnibus for Normalman, which was originally released by Aardvark Vanaheim as well. Not to be 'that guy' and I know there were and still are lots of issues with the industry, but I miss the days of browsing the comic shop racks and seeing all the indies right up there with the Marvel and DC books.)
Yeah it seems like there's a workaround for Kobo but it takes some work and it feels like I'm sending the wrong signal supporting it. I'm still hedging.

I mean if you can find a comic book store, you'll see the independents right there with the Marvel and DC stuff, at least in any decently sized store, won't you?
Old 06-27-24, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,084 Likes on 892 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
You have to give him credit for being way ahead of the curve on all of that incel/MRA/redpill shit, though. He was beating that particular drum decades before anyone had ever heard of gamergate.
"credit"
Old 06-27-24, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts

It did take some work but once I figured it out it wasn't so bad. But yeah not something I want to make a habit of.
Well, true - I guess what I'm nostalgic for is the way I felt as a teenager going into "my" comic shops and checking out all the new stuff and the back issues, especially in the mid to late 80s. Sure, the books are still here today, and I'm still buying (mostly digital and omnibuses now), but I miss that exploratory excitement.