Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

Old 08-03-18, 04:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

When digital music tried to hold the line for prices, people just went to Napster and other free sites. It wasn't until they lowered the price that people were willing to pay. Comic book stores are a niche thing today. There used to be 8000 or so in the 80's and now there are about 2500. You can't charge the same price for digital as physical. Physical involves paper cost, printing costs, shipping costs and discounts to Diamond which have got to be above 50% since retailers get the books at 40-50% off from Diamond. Digital has only the percentage that Comixology or any other site takes. I don't have the numbers to quote. Floppies are going to die. Kids aren't going to spend $3.99 for a 22 pages book that will take them 5 minutes to read. I can buy a 700 page Stephen King novel which will take me weeks to read for $8.99. The pricing is way out of whack for comics. As the older collectors die off there is no new generation to take over. Trades are more affordable, they collect an entire story and are available in bookstores, Amazon and Walmart. Much easier to collect. The industry should embrace digital like movies, music, television and books are, and try to grow that with digital comics going for $1.50 to $1.99 to get young people into the hobby. There is no reason why Guardians of the Galaxy gets 100 million people into the theater worldwide and the comic sells 17,000 copies other than the comic industry dropping the ball.
Old 08-03-18, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts

There are some big problems with that comparison though.

Digital comics almost require a tablet to use (I mean, you could read them on a computer, but yuck). And this is a niche audience. Maybe if you go hard into digital you could expand the audience, but really how much are you going to expand the audience, and are they going to come back and spend even 1.99 every month? Doubtful. They can't cut off their loyal audience, especially those who are buying up extra copies to get a variant cover, the collectibility of it is just too ingrained.

You could give digital comic books away for free and I'm not sure how many kids are going to go download it.

Heck, I subscribe to Viz's Shonen Jump; that's 230 or so pages of manga almost every single week, for 25 bucks a year. They translate it and release it basically the same week that the volume comes out in Japan. That's an incredible deal. And yet manga pirating is so ubiquitous that I bet the subscription numbers are super low.
Old 08-03-18, 05:50 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

If you’re a Conan fan, Dark Horse bundle for $99 includes pretty much every Conan comic and magazine ever produced by Marvel and Dark Horse.
https://digital.darkhorse.com/bundle...gabundle-conan

Of course, I’ve bought most of it in other sales over the years, probably spending $300 to own about 80% of it. What I need to complete the runs would cost me about $100. smh
Old 08-03-18, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
All-Star Superman

Superman: Red Son

Superman: Lois and Clark

Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?

Superman: Secret Origin

If you just want straightforward superhero team-ups, all the Superman/Batman volumes are pretty good reads.
Hmm, I disliked All-Star Superman, and I believe I have Red Son already. Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow sounds interesting, i'll look in to that one. I've heard the title but never really looked in to it before.

Last edited by fumanstan; 08-03-18 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-03-18, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Digital sales would likely go up if the big two allowed cheaper variable pricing on their comics - but they don't want to cut into their existing floppy sales.

DC and Marvel are making most of their money these days on trade paperbacks. There's a company that tracks comic book sales. They have a website I've seen but it's a strange name that isn't coming to me at the moment.

Dan Didio just said something along the lines that the industry would be more profitable if comic book publishers wouldn't release so many books - implying there are only so many books the current readership can support at any one time.
I think thatís Comichron, but comics beat also does analysis.
Old 08-04-18, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
There are some big problems with that comparison though.

Digital comics almost require a tablet to use (I mean, you could read them on a computer, but yuck). And this is a niche audience. Maybe if you go hard into digital you could expand the audience, but really how much are you going to expand the audience, and are they going to come back and spend even 1.99 every month? Doubtful. They can't cut off their loyal audience, especially those who are buying up extra copies to get a variant cover, the collectibility of it is just too ingrained.

You could give digital comic books away for free and I'm not sure how many kids are going to go download it.

Heck, I subscribe to Viz's Shonen Jump; that's 230 or so pages of manga almost every single week, for 25 bucks a year. They translate it and release it basically the same week that the volume comes out in Japan. That's an incredible deal. And yet manga pirating is so ubiquitous that I bet the subscription numbers are super low.
The manga industry is supposedly bigger now even in the States than the comic book industry. Comic books are a one billion dollar industry in America through all retail channels.

What you imply about the digital pricing is I think correct. The big two are afraid that reduced digital pricing won't grow the industry very much beyond its current userbase - it will simply cannibalize their lucrative physical publishing and decimate the remaining comic book store market.
Old 08-08-18, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Comixology seems to be having one big DC sale after another these days. This time it's Vertigo - I'm not sure my wallet can take much more.
Old 08-09-18, 09:39 AM

Another Valiant comic Humble Bundle. Looks like a few repeats perhaps, I didn’t look, but at least the $1 tier is a no-brainer.
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/v...s_tile_index_2
Old 08-09-18, 11:30 AM

Predator megabundle for $30
https://digital.darkhorse.com/bundle...r-megabundle-1
Old 08-25-18, 03:04 PM

Dover sale at Comixology is looking expensive. Lots of high quality series from the 80s and 90s found a home here, and collected physically and now digitally for the first time.
https://www.comixology.com/Dover-Sale/page/19405
Old 08-27-18, 04:53 PM

Summerfive gives you 5 off 15 anything on Comixology save for the usual last two week releases. Can only be used once per account.
Old 08-27-18, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by RonG617 View Post
Summerfive gives you 5 off 15 anything on Comixology save for the usual last two week releases. Can only be used once per account.
Thanks. This put me over the edge on deciding to take that Dover splurge.
Old 08-29-18, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Dover sale at Comixology is looking expensive. Lots of high quality series from the 80s and 90s found a home here, and collected physically and now digitally for the first time.
https://www.comixology.com/Dover-Sale/page/19405
I highly recommend the Bozz Chronicles, especially for any fan of Doctor Who. Fun Sci-Fi Mystery series.
Old 08-30-18, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Dark Horse 50% off code on Comixology is DH50; good until 9/10/18 and it overlaps with the current 'video game' sale.

Strangely Comixology had a banner for this that lasted just a day or so and now there's no obvious promotion for the DH code. Edit: Well now Cmx sent out an email about it.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 08-30-18 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-30-18, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by RonG617 View Post
Today is the last day so I just used it.
Old 09-05-18, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ugh, I got sucked into trying Comixology Unlimited for a free month plus a $5 gift card. Today only.

Remind me to cancel this, ESPN+, and Xbox Gamepass, all of which I signed up for a free or cheap month recently.
Old 09-05-18, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Ugh, I got sucked into trying Comixology Unlimited for a free month plus a $5 gift card. Today only.

Remind me to cancel this, ESPN+, and Xbox Gamepass, all of which I signed up for a free or cheap month recently.
Every time I sign up for a free or discounted trial, and thatís quite often, I immediately set a daily repeating calendar event to remind me to cancel a couple days before the renewal. With unlimited, I ended up not cancelling, since the extra discounts on purchases pretty much offsets the cost for me.
Old 09-05-18, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Every time I sign up for a free or discounted trial, and thatís quite often, I immediately set a daily repeating calendar event to remind me to cancel a couple days before the renewal. With unlimited, I ended up not cancelling, since the extra discounts on purchases pretty much offsets the cost for me.
Ugh, I forgot about the extra discounts. Thing is, I tend to do most of my purchasing on Amazon (for various reasons) so that wouldn't work for me, and the funky Eurocomics that aren't on Amazon don't get the discount. I guess I'll see how the content is, then considering moving my Marvel/Image/etc. if I continue.
Old 09-05-18, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I also jumped on the free trial of Comixology today; but it wasn't obvious that they sent me a $5 gift card - did you (or anyone else) get it yet? Maybe it automatically applies to an order (?)...
Old 09-05-18, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Undeadcow View Post
I also jumped on the free trial of Comixology today; but it wasn't obvious that they sent me a $5 gift card - did you (or anyone else) get it yet? Maybe it automatically applies to an order (?)...
I think they said itíd be e-mailed tomorrow.
Old 09-06-18, 04:51 PM

Found a new coupon on ******. $5 off next purchase of $15 good until Oct 31st. Vulture15. It worked for me.
Old 09-06-18, 04:52 PM

e b a t e s
Old 09-06-18, 07:42 PM

Marvel’s linewide BOGO code combos with the other two current sales, for some pretty nice deals.
Old 09-08-18, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Undeadcow View Post
I think they said itíd be e-mailed tomorrow.
My code came on Thursday, though into my spam folder.
Old 09-12-18, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Batman White Knight #1 and Li'l Gotham #1 free for Batman Day:

https://www.comixology.com/Batman-Wh...l-comic/715306
https://www.comixology.com/Batman-Li...l-comic/715311

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.