Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-17, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

why would it be a mistake if Amazon was giving away a free digital graphic novel for qualifying purchases

seems a little far fetched
Old 06-06-17, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
This sale makes me wish I had never bought a Marvel digital book before Thursday. I'm pretty sure that I literally could have done an "add all to cart" button (if they had one), and spent less than I spent previous to this sale.
After spending a small fortune on routine Marvel $0.99/issue sales myself I can't say I regret it - there's not much likelihood of anticipating a gonzo 80%+ off sale. Maybe it goes to show that there will 'always' be a lower price if you're really patient.

It does seem like digital sales have become more aggressive lately. DC recently ran a unusually generous multiple use 60% off code, Image gave targeted 70% off codes out with 65% general multiple use codes [with some items already discounted resulting in similar 80%+ off combos], Dynamite and IDW [on GI Joe/Transformers] had a 60% off sale... seems like the days of holding off on 'just' 50% off might be here.
Originally Posted by fujishig
I still think it was some kind of mistake. Who puts their whole catalog up for 80% off and have no restrictions, even for stuff that was just released?...
It does seem unusual for Amazon to be the price leader on anything and there were no official announcements. I read some articles about the sale that mentioned reaching out to Marvel or Amazon for comment and getting no response so no telling.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 06-06-17 at 05:11 PM.
Old 06-06-17, 06:34 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Can I ask if anyone is ever going to read everything they purchased? I understand the desire to snap things up when they are insanely priced, but does it matter if you are never going to read them? I really slowed down myself lately when I realized it would take me forever to read what I already have. I began just skimming through a ton of issues just to get through some of the collection. So even though I got them at 99 cents or less, I still feel like I wasted money on things that I rushed through just to try and make a minor dent in the collection.
Old 06-06-17, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by musick
why would it be a mistake if Amazon was giving away a free digital graphic novel for qualifying purchases

seems a little far fetched
This free digital promotion was around well before this latest promotion though, they just happened to coincide, I think.
Old 06-07-17, 08:08 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by RonG617
Can I ask if anyone is ever going to read everything they purchased?
Read it?! But then it wouldn't be in mint condition!
Old 06-07-17, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

Can I ask if anyone is ever going to read everything they purchased? I understand the desire to snap things up when they are insanely priced, but does it matter if you are never going to read them? I really slowed down myself lately when I realized it would take me forever to read what I already have. I began just skimming through a ton of issues just to get through some of the collection. So even though I got them at 99 cents or less, I still feel like I wasted money on things that I rushed through just to try and make a minor dent in the collection.
My digital collection before the sale was relatively small compared to what I imagine some of you guys have, so I don't have that big a back log. I didn't really buy much that I considered frivolous either. It was all stuff that if digital didn't exist, I would probably buy physical copies. So instead of shelling out a couple hundred bucks for the Lee/Kirby FF run in omnibus format, I spent a fraction of that on something that won't take up any space. I can't say when I will get through it all, buy I fully intend to some day.
Old 06-07-17, 10:48 AM

Can I ask if anyone is ever going to read everything they purchased? I understand the desire to snap things up when they are insanely priced, but does it matter if you are never going to read them? I really slowed down myself lately when I realized it would take me forever to read what I already have...
I'd admit I have a larger digital collection than I can readily explain my ability to read, and that I have a 'problem' with buying too much stuff on sale.

I do plan on going through my collection eventually and went into the Amazon sale mostly considered I would not have to buy Marvel digital again for a long time. In part I'm big into continuity and enjoy binge reading - for example, I haven't read Secret War because I wanted to read Hickman's Fantastic Four, Secret Warriors, and Ultimates runs first because I understand those feed into the event (it may turn out otherwise) so this sale allowed me to snatch up large volumes of collections towards that. Having started Secret Warriors, which is heavy on S.H.I.E.L.D. history, it makes me want to read some of the earlier Nick Fury series (which I now also have). I can’t account for when I will get to Mighty Thor, Exiles, Amazing Spider-man, Spider-girl, or some of the other series (maybe never) but for now it’s nice to binge read through the S.H.I.E.L.D./Hickman stuff and have all of it available.

I don't plan on 'having' to buy many more digital copies from here unless DC pulls a similar sale.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 06-07-17 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-07-17, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

There's an Eisner nominee Humble Bundle:

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/e...es-2017-comics
Old 06-07-17, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Don't try to understand collectors.

But yes, unless you have a collector's "need" to own books, then a casual Marvel fan should probably just do MU.

There are some minor advantages to buying versus MU. One, you can buy recent stuff, while MU is limited to stuff six months old and older. Two, and I haven't completely verified this, but apparently the MU digital versions of some books aren't as nice as Comixology versions. Not sure if that means the scans are different, or if there isn't guided view on as many MU titles, or what exactly.

And as you mentioned, MU and its pricing isn't guaranteed to last forever. Neither is digital ownership exactly, but that's another can of worms.
I will essentially have a free month of MU with auto renew. It says I can cancel at anytime before the auto renew if I want. When I cancel do I have to wait until the last day? If I cancel two days after signing up, do i still ge the rest of the month that was "paid" for, or does it stop right at cancellation? I want to maximize the use of it but don't want to forget to cancel on day 30 and get charged for another month.
Old 06-08-17, 07:25 AM

^ I'll never use MU, but set yourself a calendar reminder or alarm to cancel near the end.
Old 06-08-17, 07:52 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I don't think there is much of a problem with digital collections of comics, movies or music. Since they occupy very title space it really doesn't matter.
Is the physical collections that can become an issue pretty fast, I collect movies, music, action figures and I already have one room dedicated to all that stuff, and although it looks nice sometimes I wonder what is the point....
Old 06-08-17, 08:57 AM

Wish I had gone into this digital comic thing sharing an account with one of you. Between my binges and a couple bucks a month from one of you, we'd own everything. And maybe they'd get read more.

But yeah, similar to what Undeadcow wrote, I plan to read it all someday. I honestly enjoy most mainstream Marvel and DC books, despite most of my top 100 titles of all-time being from Indy companies.

Currently slowly reading Avengers and JLA from the beginning and really enjoying it. Look forward to complete read thrus of all of the Fantastic Four and the Claremont X-men someday. Hoping for an eventual retirement where I have time to average 10-20 comics a day instead of just one or two.

But yeah, I'll readily admit that a lot of my purchasing is just my lifetime tendencies of collecting comics and not being able to resist sales.
Old 06-08-17, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

In case anyone is interested, people have been posting comixology codes for a Wonder Woman bundle in the Wonder Woman movie thread (not the reviews thread, so spoiler-free). I claimed one, and I think it's three #1s (Rebirth, Legend, and 2006 series).
Old 06-08-17, 02:11 PM

I wonder if those are just the books that went free this week anyway?
Old 06-08-17, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You can (sadly) read most modern comics in a couple of minutes, so it doesn't take all that long. It probably takes longer to figure out the right order to read them in, which is where I usually give up and go do something else.
Old 06-08-17, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

They aren't the FCBD Rebirth and Superhero Girls issues that went free, if that's what you mean.

Originally Posted by movieguru
I will essentially have a free month of MU with auto renew. It says I can cancel at anytime before the auto renew if I want. When I cancel do I have to wait until the last day? If I cancel two days after signing up, do i still ge the rest of the month that was "paid" for, or does it stop right at cancellation? I want to maximize the use of it but don't want to forget to cancel on day 30 and get charged for another month.
When I have monthly subscriptions like HBO Now, I cancel whenever, and my access lasts through the 30 days. Haven't done MU, though.

Yes, I'm planning to read everything.

Realistically, who knows for sure, but many of these issues are stuff that I've been thinking about getting for a long time. Some I've read before and want to read again, and some are new to me that have been recommended. Maybe I'll read the Bendis Daredevil before I read Morrison's New X-Men, but I have both for the choosing, and at a supercheap price. I also think I might be able to shed some physical copies now that I have digital.
Old 06-08-17, 03:15 PM

It's strange to me that Comixology still has a good number of titles that don't have high definition scans available; looking through a few Top Cow items of interest most of them are not HD and it shows. Is it that cost prohibitive to upgrade to HD scans? It's especially baffling when the single issues are HD but not the corresponding trade(s) or visa versa [Rising Stars Compendium is SD but cheaper overlapping individual trades are HD].

Last edited by Undeadcow; 06-08-17 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-08-17, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There was one savage dragon book I got from comixology that blatantly had a scanning site's signature in it, because they ripped it off from the scanner. So in some cases maybe they don't even have the original artwork anymore.
Old 06-09-17, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

The 3 Wonder Woman books are the ones that Fandango gave out for purchasing a WW movie ticket through them. I purchased several tickets seperately for points so I should have a few extra codes. If anyone needs one let me know.
Old 06-09-17, 11:37 AM

Made the mistake of counting up my Marvel purchases from the sale. Eek! Looks like I bought almost 400 books. I really hope most of them were of the $1.40 to $1.80 variety.... Good thing I've been working a bit of overtime lately.
Originally Posted by movieguru
The 3 Wonder Woman books are the ones that Fandango gave out for purchasing a WW movie ticket through them. I purchased several tickets seperately for points so I should have a few extra codes. If anyone needs one let me know.
I'd give one a go, thanks movieguru! But it appears that I probably have two of the three freebies (just don't own any non-free Rebirth branded issues), so maybe give them to others who can better maximize the code.
Old 06-09-17, 08:41 PM

Comixology seems to be down; prompts log-in then gives error message.
Old 06-09-17, 08:49 PM

They tweeted about it. Guess I'll have at least one day of not buying anything!
Old 06-09-17, 09:26 PM

Seems to be fixed now...
Old 06-14-17, 02:10 PM

Humble Bundle has a 2 week long 'Best of Boom' bundle

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/b...om-book-bundle
Old 06-14-17, 02:47 PM

Hopefully it doesn't duplicate any of their previous bundles.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.