Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

Old 07-15-16, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Re: Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
There were some raves here about a recent series. Was that Princess Leia?
I've enjoyed all of the new Marvel Star Wars that I've read. They can get a little fanboy-ish at times (especially the Darth Vader series), but it's all in good fun and none of the series take themselves too seriously. That said, Princess Leia is one of the more serious offerings and it's just a mini-series, so it has the benefit of telling a complete story. As I recall, it was pretty good.
Old 07-15-16, 02:57 PM

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow View Post
There are still big gaps of missing issues for many legacy series. Marvel has occasionally added material for stuff like West Coast Avengers, X-force, or Spider-man [Clone Saga era] but there's still a lot of missing issues. Still seemingly a good value especially at $55.
Thanks for the heads up. I was hoping they'd filled the gaps by now.
Old 07-15-16, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312 View Post
I've enjoyed all of the new Marvel Star Wars that I've read. They can get a little fanboy-ish at times (especially the Darth Vader series), but it's all in good fun and none of the series take themselves too seriously. That said, Princess Leia is one of the more serious offerings and it's just a mini-series, so it has the benefit of telling a complete story. As I recall, it was pretty good.
Thanks! I think the last series I read was Agent of the Empire, which was still Dark Horse. Every now and then I remember I bought a number of cheap Kindle books (Old Republic, etc.) that haven't been shared with Comixology so I'll have to give up and read them on Kindle someday (haven't tried Kindle on my ipad yet).
Old 07-16-16, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 72 Likes on 67 Posts

Just saw this. I'm sure it's already been posted.
Old 07-18-16, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I found the discussion of Princess Leia I was looking for, except maybe I overstated the "raves."

Originally Posted by Preterite View Post
Princess Leia by Waid and Dodson. Nice little story that adds depth to Leia's character as she deals with the loss of Alderaan and her family.
Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Star Wars: Princess Leia- wasn't too sure about it and haven't read any of the Marvel Star Wars books before this but I found this miniseries pretty enjoyable. Fun story that fills in what Leia was up to after A New Hope and her dealing with the destruction of Alderaan. I'd say it's worth reading and will probably get to the other Star Wars books at some point.
Old 07-18-16, 11:43 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 129 Likes on 96 Posts

I think I've heard lots of positives about most of the Marvel Star Wars books, particularly Vader Down.

Much of my Star Wars comics are part of my "collection-mode" hoarding and not verified quality-wise books. Like many of us, I grew up loving the original films, and thus have always had a predilection for getting into the extended universe books, toys, and comics. I've always enjoyed the few original Marvel and Dark Horse comics I'd read, but bought them all without reading the vast majority.

That model is continuing with these new books. I read and enjoyed the first issues of everything and was waiting for this sale so I could get the rest.

I was planning on skipping the Kanan series. But since the first issue was free, I read it. It was decent so I bought just the second issue to further test it. I unfortunately liked it, and then the third issue, so now I own all 15 of those issues too.
Old 07-18-16, 02:10 PM

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I think I've heard lots of positives about most of the Marvel Star Wars books, particularly Vader Down.
I actually just finished Vader Down and it was a fun read (like all of the other new Marvel Star Wars I've read), but I had a few problems with it:

1. Like any prequel series, it's difficult to generate much drama since you already know the fates of the various characters. This is a problem to varying degrees for all of these new Star Wars series, but it was magnified here since this story involves all of the main characters in relative close proximity and the stakes are seemingly pretty high.

2. I mentioned earlier that the Darth Vader series got a little too fanboy-ish at times, and what I mean by that is Vader is portrayed as the most ridiculously awesome bad-ass ever to come along and just based on these comics, one can't help but wonder how he ever lost a fight. He's pretty much all-powerful and Vader Down is probably the worst example I've seen yet.

3. Finally, more of an issue with modern comics in general, but holy crap this story did not need to be 6 parts! Even allowing for modern decompressing, 4 parts would have been fine. Back in the day this would have been 2 parts tops.
Old 07-18-16, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

A Jason Aaron Thor sale:

https://www.comixology.com/comics-sa...d=12216&lang=1

A big IDW Star Trek sale. I'm tempted by the John Byrne fumetti comics, but the first two volumes are free with Unlimited.mi plan to sample that and read those at some point.

https://www.comixology.com/comics-sa...d=12176&lang=1
Old 07-19-16, 01:08 PM

Huge Dark Horse sale at Dark Horse and Comixology. Looks like all singles except current ones are 99 cents (less through the App Store if you buy discounted iTunes cards).

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm slightly considering buying stuff on Comixology instead of Dark Horse, where I already own most of their catalog. I'm just getting tired of having two reading apps and figure as time progresses I'll eventually end up with more of it on Comixology. Plus maybe they'll have an option to merge accounts someday. And worst case scenario if one of them was going to go under and have broken continuity to titles it'll probably be DH first.

Ugh, I don't know.
Old 07-19-16, 06:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sale also includes Dynamite. Same thing, all singles are 99 cents. Trevor I just bought all of my favorite Dark Horse titles again on Comixology for the same reasons.
Old 07-19-16, 10:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

'All New Marvel' Single Issues Sale $0.99 a pop through 7/24/16 - this mostly overlaps with the current (slightly cheaper) $4.99 collections sale but Mrs Marvel, Vision, Moon Girl, Spider-man and Deadpool, Agents of Shield, and Guardians of the Galaxy are only in the singles sale.

https://www.comixology.com/All-New-A...ale/page/11573
Old 07-19-16, 10:52 PM

It's irrelevant now but last night around 9:30pm CST there was a sale glitch with One-Punch Man manga collections being priced at $0.99 per trade (instead of the current $4.99 sale price); another reminder to watch near sale change time for 'deals.'

Vampirella Magazine is $0.99 per issue as part of the Dynamite line wide sale; if you're into the material this is a better than average deal with most issues being near 60 pages.

I was going to dive into Usagi Yojimbo with this sale but then noticed there is a new 'Saga' line of 600 page, ~20 issue, trades going for only $13.99 so a much better deal than the current $0.99 sale - not sure about completion/chronology. https://www.comixology.com/Usagi-Yoj...s-series/22945

Still waiting on a DC sale...

Last edited by Undeadcow; 07-19-16 at 10:59 PM.
Old 07-20-16, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This is a cool collection of European titles, but it's weird because as of now, only the first volumes are discounted to $2.98 while the others are $7.99. I guess that's why it's branded as a "discovery" rather than a sale. I read a number of Leo titles last year, and I will occasionally read Blake and Mortimer as a kind of slow and boring version of Tintin.

https://www.comixology.com/XIII-More...list12281_pg=1

And yeah, I just noticed that the sale page collects only those $2.98 titles and bills them as a Comicon sale. Maybe I'll get Lucky Luke since I've been meaning to try that anyway.
Old 07-20-16, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've been able to download some of my purchases from Humble Bundle to my ipad, but not from Groupees. I just get a Safari error. I guess I could e-mail them to myself from my computer.
Old 07-20-16, 09:52 PM

DC Buy One Get One Free Sale is live until 7/24/16 with coupon code DCBOGO.
Old 07-20-16, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 175 Likes on 137 Posts

DC Buy One Get One Free Sale is live until 7/24/16 with coupon code DCBOGO.
Not eligible for DC rebirth titles? That's about the only thing I would consider checking out in this sale. Or am I missing some great deals here?
Old 07-21-16, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Not eligible for DC rebirth titles? That's about the only thing I would consider checking out in this sale. Or am I missing some great deals here?
You mean besides Sandman, Swamp Thing, JSA, Kingdom Come, Dark Knight Returns, Watchmen, New Frontier, All-Star Superman, Flashpoint, Fables, Preacher, and thousands of other runs from the last 75 years?
Old 07-21-16, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You mean besides Sandman, Swamp Thing, JSA, Kingdom Come, Dark Knight Returns, Watchmen, New Frontier, All-Star Superman, Flashpoint, Fables, Preacher, and thousands of other runs from the last 75 years?
Aren't the dollar sales still cheaper? I guess I've been buying things for so long that I've bought all those except Preacher for a buck a piece.
Also, Flashpoint?
Old 07-21-16, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Aren't the dollar sales still cheaper? I guess I've been buying things for so long that I've bought all those except Preacher for a buck a piece.
Also, Flashpoint?
B1G1 and dollar sales are equal on single issues, but B1G1 is almost always cheaper on collections.

And yeah, Flashpoint isn't universally loved, but I just read it and loved it so it inserted itself into my list
Old 07-21-16, 06:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Image sale going on for all recent titles. Between Vertigo and Image I am breaking the bank this month.
Old 07-21-16, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Are there any other limits on the DC BOGO? I'd be interested in both collections and singles.
Old 07-21-16, 08:44 PM

Are there any other limits on the DC BOGO? I'd be interested in both collections and singles.
Only limit to DCBOGO is releases after 7/20 and Rebirth titles are ineligible.
Old 07-21-16, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Only limit to DCBOGO is releases after 7/20 and Rebirth titles are ineligible.
Damn, that's bad news. I've been hankering to get some Legion, and I've never gone on a digital binge before.
Old 07-22-16, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

B1G1 and dollar sales are equal on single issues, but B1G1 is almost always cheaper on collections.

And yeah, Flashpoint isn't universally loved, but I just read it and loved it so it inserted itself into my list
Damn, that's bad news. I've been hankering to get some Legion, and I've never gone on a digital binge before.
Funny, looking through the DC stuff available I was thinking the same thing about Legion, especially the Baxter era stuff and the 5YL runs. And maybe some Promethea.

I just feel like it was a missed opportunity not to include Rebirth. They already have the release date caveat, why not let the first issue or so be on sale to hook new readers, since they're publishing a lot of stuff twice a month anyway, and honestly they've probably seen most of the sales they're going to get at full price. Even though they'd be more than a buck I'd probably try a few. Ah well, money saved, I can stick to stuff I know I'd enjoy...
Old 07-22-16, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I pulled the trigger on $4.99 blind buys of Princess Leia and Guest Black Panther 1. Even if I hate them, it's only five bucks.

Looks like the DC sale lasts through Sunday at midnight Eastern. I'm going to be driving all weekend so I'll have to do my shopping today. I've wanted the Legion Great Darkness Saga and The Curse in a more portable form than my HCs and I was assuming that would be paperback, but this would be even better.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.