Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

How many of your family members share your interest in comics?

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

How many of your family members share your interest in comics?

Old 03-27-12, 06:24 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Re: How many of your family members share your interest in comics?

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Except don't you make $30 an hour now rather than a buck a week?
True. But I more miss the carefree days of no job or responsibility of any kind!

But back to $/comic stuff, I still can't get over the inflation on these things. I know I've brought this up a few times in earlier threads, but...

The average hour of salary in the mid 70s of ~$4.50 would buy ~18 comic books. Today's average of ~$20 would buy ~7 comic books.

Adjusted for inflation we're close to even to where we were back then salary wise, and I'm not sure what that does to my rough numbers up there.
Old 03-27-12, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I probably had earlier exposure to comics (they were literally everywhere back when I was a kid), but my earliest memories of them also involve 7-11 stores.

I think I first really got hooked on them back at the tale end of the 20 cents an issue days.

I would get my weekly(?) allowance of a dollar, and ride my bike to the local 7-11 for 5 comic books. Man, I miss those days.
Same here. I know it was the summer of '73. I had more DC than Marvel because DC stayed at 20c a lot longer than Marvel. More bang for the buck. My 2 brothers also collected and when they stopped I ended up with their collections. I still collect GA, SA and BA books but only read TPBs now.
Old 05-09-12, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I shared my tale of woe about failing to get my nephew to read in a thread I started a while back ("What to Do About Kids Not Wanting to Read?"), where we shared our collective nostalgia for being able to buy comics outside the direct market in our youth and our frustration that's no longer the case.

My uncle was big into comics from what I'm told, though he drowned as a teen before I was born. I've often wondered what kind of influence he would have been on me, including as a comic book reader. All my life, I've heard how similar to him I am in personality and taste. He collaborated on a comic book with a friend of his. It gives me chills just to think about it; it's called "On Borrow'd Time" and it's about a guy who climbs out of the sea having drowned and then becomes a superhero. He did this shortly before he died. It's freaky to look at it.

I tried to get my wife to read comics from time to time. The only success I ever had was with Bone. She liked that quite a bit, but I could never get her to read anything else. She expressed an interest periodically, even going so far as to ask me for recommendations and to have me set aside some things for her to read, but she never actually did.
Old 05-09-12, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

My wife reads comics, though she doesn't like superhero stuff (Watchmen and Sleeper were the two exceptions). But she reads Fables, Sweet Tooth, Walking Dead, DMZ, Chew and I'm sure a bunch of others I'm forgetting.

My brother and sister-in-law read Walking Dead, Tank Girl and a bunch of more underground stuff.

Other than that there are just some smaller things here and there, like my mother-in-law reading Maus and Fun Home.
Old 05-09-12, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My wife loves superhero movies, but hates comics. Go figure. She says she can't read a story presented the way comics do it.
Old 05-09-12, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My mom loved comic books, and as a result of that both my brother and I still collect and love them.

My wife tolerates the hobby, but won't necessarily seek it out without prompting (last thing I think she read was a volume of Yotsuba&). She did love Avengers the movie, though. I think my daughter will get into it... even though she can't read, she already loves taking manga volumes off the shelf, flipping through it (without reading it) and then putting it back in numerical order. In fact, the children's books she reads (or that are read to her) are basically single panel per page comic books anyway...
Old 05-10-12, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
My wife loves superhero movies, but hates comics. Go figure. She says she can't read a story presented the way comics do it.
My wife complained about that, too. She said she found the layout confusing. I thought that was laughable at first, but then I recalled that women and men have very different spatial orientations. This is why women navigate by landmarks and men by directions (i.e., north, west, etc.). It never occurred to me that this would present itself as a problem for reading comic books, but there it was.

I admit, sometimes even I have a problem with the way some pages are laid out. The worst offender so far for me was Mike Avon Oeming's work on Powers. There were frequently two-page spreads where I wasn't sure whether to read all the way across the top and then work my way down, or to make my way down each column.
Old 05-10-12, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think it's just a difference between women and men. For those who grew up with comic books, following panel by panel is pretty easy because we were trained at a pretty early age; it's something we sometimes take for granted. And you're right, some artists can have some confusing layouts (try Bachalo, for instance). Maybe when we're younger it's easier for us to learn, maybe because we're interested we plow through it and learn on our own, I dunno, but it doesn't necessarily come naturally (though a good artist who has a good page flow can make the transitions much, much easier).

I think it's similar to video game fans, who take for granted that a keyboard and mouse or a console controller are easy to use; they're not, we're just used to them.
Old 05-24-12, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by MinLShaw View Post
My wife complained about that, too. She said she found the layout confusing. I thought that was laughable at first, but then I recalled that women and men have very different spatial orientations. This is why women navigate by landmarks and men by directions (i.e., north, west, etc.). It never occurred to me that this would present itself as a problem for reading comic books, but there it was.

I admit, sometimes even I have a problem with the way some pages are laid out. The worst offender so far for me was Mike Avon Oeming's work on Powers. There were frequently two-page spreads where I wasn't sure whether to read all the way across the top and then work my way down, or to make my way down each column.
Even with something like Bone?

I think subject matter is important too. In film terms, there's very, very few "four quadrant" comic books.
Old 05-24-12, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
Even with something like Bone?

I think subject matter is important too. In film terms, there's very, very few "four quadrant" comic books.
Bone, she could follow. Even that, though, had its moments where she would have to re-read a panel or even a page from time to time.
Old 05-24-12, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
Maybe you should introduce her to some manga. My wife doesn't really read comics but she loved Crying Freeman. She said it felt like a movie. Well, obviously it's drawn out like a storyboard but she didn't know that.