Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Batman Comic Question

Old 06-02-12, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Batman Comic Question

Well that kind of sucks. I wonder if they'll put out The Search as a companion piece to the other three books if enough people complain. Either that or put out a revised KnightQuest or possibly include it in the upcoming KnightsEnd.
Old 06-06-12, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've already picked up Vol. 1, but it looks like I will drop the other 2 from my Amazon wishlist since DC botched them again.
At least I have all the singles I can dig out anytime I want to read the complete story.
Old 06-06-12, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm curious, why would anyone buy the trade, if you already own the singles? I can think of times where I went back and bought the singles (for collectible purposes) after already owning the trade. But I don't think I've ever bought a trade if I already have the singles. The only exceptions would be for some super-deluxe version (Absolute edition, for example), or if the trade had significant extra material that the singles didn't (new pages, etc.).
Old 06-06-12, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Todd B. View Post
I'm curious, why would anyone buy the trade, if you already own the singles? I can think of times where I went back and bought the singles (for collectible purposes) after already owning the trade. But I don't think I've ever bought a trade if I already have the singles. The only exceptions would be for some super-deluxe version (Absolute edition, for example), or if the trade had significant extra material that the singles didn't (new pages, etc.).
In the past, I bought TPBs when I already had the single issues. I saw the collected edition as my "reader" copy, allowing me to keep the singles properly stored away, while the collected edition could sit on my bookcase.

In fact, I'm actually thinking about doing that right now with the collected editions of Batgirl and Detective Comics, since I've now got my issue #1s of both books signed (the former by Gail Simone and Adam Hughes, the latter by Tony S. Daniel). I'd rather not handle the signed issues. I may just track down a different printing of those first issues to keep as a "reader," though. It's not a priority for me at all right now, but it's something I've begun to contemplate.
Old 08-09-13, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Read the new Knightfall TPB 1 over my vacation (on one long flight).

I liked it quite a bit. Since I was out of comics for a while, the story was new to me, and I just figured it was "the complete story of how Bane breaks Batman's back." I didn't know how the Azrael character would fit into the story, and I thought Batman was way too restrictive on Robin until I figured out that it was Tim Drake and this was not long after Jason Todd.

While I often find "gantlet of villains" devices tiresome, I thought this one was logical and had some progression to it. The timing of the independent Two Face series toward the end of the TPB threw me off a bit, though, as it seemed to imply it was toward the beginning of the breakout while in the main Batman-Detective run they kept saying he was still out there.

Being a childhood subscriber to The Brave and the Bold, I was a little disappointed in the Aparo art--not sure if that was due to the inkers, or to the skills of Aparo himself, or to just my own eye.

I'll definitely pick up the second trade.
Old 08-09-13, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I enjoyed the heck out of Knightfall Volume 1, but didn't care for 2 and 3 at all and ended up selling them after reading them Azreal Batman was just boring and uninteresting.
Old 08-15-13, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I too am rereading the Knightfall story in the TPB and have a similar question. Just where does the Two Face story fit? It's implied he's the last of the escapees but it's obviously before the deal with Scarecrow and Joker
Old 08-15-13, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been reading through the Knightfall story too. I finished Knightfall Volume 1 which I found to be pretty good. Made my way through Knightfall Volume 2: Knightquest and thought it was a chore. Didn't like Jean Paul Valley as Batman at all which I'm sure was the point of his character. The redesigned suit was sort of interesting but he's so unlikable. Right now I'm reading The Search issues which I picked up individually and so far that's a bit better because at least Bruce is in it. I'll make my way through Knightfall Volume 3: KnightsEnd next I suppose.

Overall the arc is interesting sort of and is one of the bigger Batman stories I for some reason never read along with No Man's Land (which I plan to pick up sometime). I just think the Knightquest stuff could have been shortened a bit as it just seemed to drag forever.
Old 11-21-13, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I mentioned this in the "last comic you read" thread, but i'll ask again in my general Batman thread...

I finally read Batman Vol 1 Court of Owls and enjoyed it quite a bit.

Is Night of Owls worth reading? Looks like it overlaps the Batman issues, but includes some issues from the other characters.
Old 11-21-13, 01:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I mentioned this in the "last comic you read" thread, but i'll ask again in my general Batman thread...

Is Night of Owls worth reading? Looks like it overlaps the Batman issues, but includes some issues from the other characters.
Nightwing and Batman & Robin were both good.

Batgirl, Teen Titans, and Red Hood & The Outlaws were average at best.

I didn't read any of the others.
Old 11-22-13, 02:11 AM

Not really. The All Star Western / Jonah Hex issue is a joke. I can't believe that was actually published and included. The rest of the issues are so-so. They're more interesting in terms of the Talons than the actual featured Bat-family characters.

But whatever you do, don't read Night of the Owls (or at least don't read all of it) before you read the second volume of Batman: City of Owls. They put the backups from Batman in Night of Owls (as well as City of Owls) and one of them spoils a huge twist from City of Owls. I can't believe DC collected it like that. If you're going to read Night of Owls before City of Owls, make sure you know what ones are the backup stories from Batman then skip them!
Old 11-23-13, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by kodave View Post

Not really. The All Star Western / Jonah Hex issue is a joke. I can't believe that was actually published and included. The rest of the issues are so-so. They're more interesting in terms of the Talons than the actual featured Bat-family characters.

But whatever you do, don't read Night of the Owls (or at least don't read all of it) before you read the second volume of Batman: City of Owls. They put the backups from Batman in Night of Owls (as well as City of Owls) and one of them spoils a huge twist from City of Owls. I can't believe DC collected it like that. If you're going to read Night of Owls before City of Owls, make sure you know what ones are the backup stories from Batman then skip them!
Thanks for that. Sounds like I can save the $10
Old 07-08-14, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just finished Knightquest and enjoyed it. Granted I read it in a couple sittings and still thought it could have been, say, 200 pages shorter, but it held my interest. I agree that the new Batman is by design unlikable so it does make it tough when there's no development and he's just going around being a bad guy, if not necessarily a "bad guy." #wreckitralph

I'll take a break before tackling the third volume.
Old 07-08-14, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

This bump reminds me I need to go and finish reading No Man's Land. I was on the third volume on my Kindle but never got around to finishing it; it just started feeling like a chore to read.

I've also been waiting on a sale to continue reading the current Batman, specifically Death of the Family.

Also, remembering how large those Knightfall books were makes me glad i'm mostly going digital.
Old 07-08-14, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This bump reminds me I need to go and finish reading No Man's Land. I was on the third volume on my Kindle but never got around to finishing it; it just started feeling like a chore to read.
This Batman Zero Year has a No Man's Land feel to it for obvious reasons. I really enjoyed the beginning of No Man's Land, but like you, thought it was a chore to read through toward the end.

This may have been the first time I thought "why would ANYONE live in Gotham?"
Old 08-08-14, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Finished Knightsend, the third massive doorstop volume!

Like the previous volume, I thought it was overlong, but all in all, I enjoyed it. I did like how the Prodigal arc was included in this volume, as we often don't see the aftermath of major events in collections like this. I see from this thread that there's other material that could have been included, but I was totally unfamiliar with this Bat-era so it seemed fine to me.

Will I reread it? Maybe someday. I'm slightly regretting not borrowing this from the library, but at least it looks good on the shelf.
Old 08-20-14, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by madcougar View Post
This Batman Zero Year has a No Man's Land feel to it for obvious reasons. I really enjoyed the beginning of No Man's Land, but like you, thought it was a chore to read through toward the end.
To me, Zero Year was absolutely brutal! Never have I felt a Batman story dragged on and on like this one did. I'm so glad it's over and am ready to move on.