Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Help me fix my dumb (TMNT related)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-12, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Help me fix my dumb (TMNT related)

So we've been downsizing. Books we don't need, kitchen stuff that we don't use, assorted household junk, whatever. I've been okay with paring down some of my DVDs and a few books, and this last weekend I decided to unload my comics collection. I collected mostly in the 80's to early 90's, and nothing really too offbeat. Marvel Tales featuring Spider-Man, West Coast Avengers, Star Wars, Star Trek and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

So I took the whole lot, which was really only four smallish boxes to a local Half-Price Books to sell. I wasn't expecting much, I had checked eBay and nothing really was going for much, but the offer was lower than I expected. The guy realized that and said I could take back whatever and he would adjust the price, and my first instinct was to take back all the Turtles stuff, but I just said "no, it's fine" and took my pittance.

But I wish I had taken those Turtles comics back. Instead of buying back the singles though, I'm wanting to buy any collected TPBs. But I bought both the original B&W original series and the Adventures series done by Archie comics.
Can someone point me in the right direction for buying the collections of those two different series?

thanks
Old 02-22-12, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Help me fix my dumb (TMNT related)

You'd think the people at Half Priced Books would at least buy you dinner before they cornhole you. I had a very similar experience before Christmas. I debated throwing the records and books I had in the trash rather than take basically nothing from them. In the end, I figured that maybe someone else would enjoy them if I sold them. To stay on topic, have you checked Amazon?
Old 02-22-12, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

I don't think the Archie series (TMNT Adventures) is collected. The original Eastman and Laird series is coming out in new Hardcovers. The first one is out, and the second one keeps getting delayed.

http://www.amazon.com/Teenage-Mutant...9932016&sr=8-1

Last edited by fujishig; 02-22-12 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-22-12, 11:45 AM
Banned

You had the original Mirage TMNT comics and sold them to Half-Price Books? Wow. Those comics are actually pretty valuable. They had print runs of only a couple thousand copies and are therefore some of the more rare and valuable modern day comics.
Old 02-22-12, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
You had the original Mirage TMNT comics and sold them to Half-Price Books? Wow. Those comics are actually pretty valuable. They had print runs of only a couple thousand copies and are therefore some of the more rare and valuable modern day comics.
Yeah, but they went through a few printings if I remember correctly. So... maybe worth nothing unless you know for sure it is 1st printing.
Old 02-22-12, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
I don't think the Archie series (TMNT Adventures) is collected. The original Eastman and Laird series is coming out in new Hardcovers. The first one is out, and the second one keeps getting delayed.

http://www.amazon.com/Teenage-Mutant...9932016&sr=8-1
I have done some wiki reading and it seems these collections are edited to fit later stories? Any idea about that?

Originally Posted by Navinabob
Yeah, but they went through a few printings if I remember correctly. So... maybe worth nothing unless you know for sure it is 1st printing.
Yeah, I don't think they were first printings. I did a lot of scattershot collecting, picking up issues here and there, and I didn't have any of the really early issues.
Old 02-22-12, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Hopefully they weren't early early printings. I sold a 3rd printing a few years ago for about $100. The guy who bought submitted it to CGC where it graded 9.4. I heard he sold it for $400 afterward. Crazy.
Old 02-22-12, 07:09 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I have done some wiki reading and it seems these collections are edited to fit later stories? Any idea about that?
To the best of my knowledge, that's not the case.
Old 02-23-12, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JasonF
To the best of my knowledge, that's not the case.
Thanks, I'll put them on my Amazon wishlist and try to pick some up here and there.

Sucks about the Adventure's comics. I actually got into that series first; after they stopped adapting the cartoon, they really branched out into their own unique stories.