Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Joe Simon Passes Away (Co-Creator of Captain America)

Old 12-15-11, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Joe Simon Passes Away (Co-Creator of Captain America)

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/joe-...ay-111215.html

JOE SIMON, Captain America Co-Creator, R.I.P. 2011
By Albert Ching, Newsarama Staff Writer

Joe Simon, one of the most influential figures of the Golden Age of Comic Books, has passed away, according to multiple reports later confirmed by Marvel Comics. He was 98.

Simon is best known for co-creating Captain America with long-time collaborator Jack Kirby in 1940, a character that's endured for decades and was featured in this past summer's live-action feature film Captain America: The First Avenger. Famously, the first issue of Captain America Comics depicted Captain America punching Adolf Hitler, a full year before the American entry into World War II. At the time, Simon worked as the first editor at Timely Comics, the company that would evolve into Marvel Comics.

Simon and Kirby also worked on Captain Marvel Comics for Fawcett Comics, and created the Newsboy Legion and Manhunter for DC's predecessor, National Comics.

In 1954, Simon and Kirby created Fighting American, one of the first creator-owned properties in industry history. In 1959, the pair debuted The Fly, as part of Archie's superhero imprint, Red Circle Comics.

Simon and Kirby's partnership also yielded the creation of their own short-lived comic book company in 1953, Mainline Publications, that produced material outside of the superhero genre including western, romance and war comics.

In later years, Simon created Brother Power the Geek and Prez for DC Comics, and founded Mad competitor Sick in 1960, which lasted for 20 years.

Like many creators of the time, Simon served during World War II; enlisting in the U.S. Coast Guard. In 1999, the writer was inducted into the Will Eisner Comic Book Hall of Fame.

Sidenote - Simon sued Marvel TWICE over Captain America:

In the '60s, Simon also made his first moves against Marvel, suing the publisher for the rights to Captain America, which he contended he and Kirby had created independent of Goodman. The parties settled out of court in 1969, but it was not the end of a tenuous relationship between artist and company. In 1999, the artist attempted again to earn back the rights to the hero, filing papers to claim a right of reversion under the auspices of the Copyright Act of 1976. The battle went on for many years, bouncing from court to court with the final verdict coming down on the side of Marvel in part due to the '69 negotiations and their outcome.
RIP Joe.

Last edited by The Valeyard; 12-15-11 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-15-11, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Joe Simon Passes Away (Co-Creator of Captain America)

I was just thinking when I read about Jerry Robinson that Joe Simon might well be the last significant Golden Age creator. I can't think of any others. I suppose you could count Stan Lee, but I don't really think his contributions in the Golden Age were particularly significant. Is there anyone else who's still with us?

In any event, Joe Simon's contributions can not be underestimated. He truly was a giant as a creator, and from all accounts a genuinely good person. Rest in peace, Joe.
Old 12-16-11, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

JasonF, Joe Kubert worked in the Golden Age as did Carmine Infantino. Also, I'm pretty sure Nick Cardy is still alive, as is Shelly Moldolff. I guess I'd count Stan Lee among the significant GA creators. While the characters he wrote/created in the Golden Age didn't have the impact of a Captain America, he did write most super-hero, western, funny animal, & romance comic released by Timely.

RIP, Joe. And thanks.
Old 12-17-11, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't realize Kubert, Infantino, and Cardy worked in the Golden Age, but you're right. And I hadn't realized Shelly Moldoff was still with us, but I sure am glad to hear that he's around still. John Severin may also qualify as a Golden Age creator, depending on how broadly you define the Golden Age.

Speaking of Joe Kubert, he's coming to C2E2 this spring!
Old 12-17-11, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Jason, I completely forgot about Severin. He definitely worked in the Golden Age. I'm pretty sure I remember him on Headline Comics.

Joe Kubert, at 85 years old still does great commissions, I wish I could go to the show. Here's a piece of his GA work: http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/200...IDESHOW_4.html

I thought I'd check to be sure that Infantino is still with us. He is, at 85 y/o. Nick Cardy too at 91! Shelly is 91 too. Stan's going to be 89 on the 28th! Wow.

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I didn't realize Kubert, Infantino, and Cardy worked in the Golden Age, but you're right. And I hadn't realized Shelly Moldoff was still with us, but I sure am glad to hear that he's around still. John Severin may also qualify as a Golden Age creator, depending on how broadly you define the Golden Age.

Speaking of Joe Kubert, he's coming to C2E2 this spring!
Old 12-17-11, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was lucky enough to see Joe Simon at Comic Con on October 14, just two months ago.

Here he is with his granddaughter and his editor, Steve Saffel.
Old 12-17-11, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Other elder states(wo)men who are happily still with us are Marie Severin (age 82, in the industry since 1949), Ramona Fradon (age 85, in the industry since 1951), Steve Ditko (age 84, in the industry since 1953), and John Romita (age 81, in the industry since 1949).
Old 12-18-11, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Irwin Hasen (93, entered the industry in 1940) is still around. I just friended him on Facebook.

Speaking of Ditko, he's still drawing. He has an independent comic that comes out quarterly.
Old 12-18-11, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I always think of Hasen as a strip guy rather than a comic book guy so he didn't come to mind, but a) he did some DC comics work in the 1940s (he created Wildcat!), and b) who cares whether he worked on strips or books -- the point is, this guy was doing comics 70 years ago!

Al Plastino, co-creator of the Legion of Super-Heroes, is still rocking it at age 90.
Old 12-19-11, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Farewell to a legend. I admit I keep seeing the Kirby-Simon collections and didn't know he was still with us.