DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Comic Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk-57/)
-   -   New Spider-Man? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk/593304-new-spider-man.html)

Maxflier 08-03-11 03:44 PM

New Spider-Man?

I don't follow comics anymore, but came across this today. WTF?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij4s5...&feature=feedu

Graftenberg 08-03-11 03:57 PM

Re: New Spider-Man?

Also:
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/new-...is-110803.html

Kerborus 08-03-11 04:04 PM

How long before Peter Parker is back from the dead? I give it 20 issues.

kgrogers1979 08-03-11 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Maxflier (Post 10877623)
I don't follow comics anymore, but came across this today. WTF?

It's not the mainstream Spider-man that has been around since 1963. It is the Spider-man from the Ultimate series, which is an alternate universe that was created to modernize the origin and stories.

Originally Posted by Kerborus
How long before Peter Parker is back from the dead? I give it 20 issues.

Well Ultimate Spider-man has been relaunched and renumbered three times now in about four years time...

I wouldn't put it past Marvel to pull a Blackest Night kind of stunt where all the people that died in Ultimatum plus Spider-man come back as zombies and then are restored to life after the event.

Groucho 08-03-11 04:39 PM

White Victim Syndrome is in full force on the Internet this week, between this and the Lawrence Fishburne announcement.

fujishig 08-03-11 05:44 PM

Half Black and half Latino, inspired by Donald Glover on Community... and oh yeah, the media has picked up on an artist's remark and are reporting that he's potentially gay. That's certainly a decent way to get publicity, I guess.

Navinabob 08-03-11 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 10877688)
White Victim Syndrome is in full force on the Internet this week, between this and the Lawrence Fishburne announcement.

Umm... Peter Parker is dead. It's not like they recast or re-imaged the character so that Peter was always half black & Hispanic. So who the hell cares if the next guy to wear that suit in an alternate marvel universe is black, alien or a robot (which he still might be for all we know)?

As for Fishburne, he's a big name and a good actor who is agreeing to place a bit-part that is typically white, but since this film is NOT a direct sequel to any other film, the color of that character's skin is meaningless. If this sort of thing pisses you off then never pick up a Superman comic book because they just rebooted the character to levels where a black Perry White wouldn't even register on a list of top 20 complaints.

Director's take liberties on source material all the time.

madcougar 08-04-11 10:52 AM

Pass. I like my superheroes like milk... white milk that is. This is the reason I refuse to watch the Avengers.

sinned 08-04-11 01:25 PM

Just another gimmick by Marvel to get a short term sales bump. Within 1-2 years (depending on sales), Peter Parker will be back and the current Spider-Man will be given a new identity. Kinda like what they did with Thor (Thunderstrike), Captain America (US Agent), Iron Man (War Machine), etc.

The Valeyard 08-04-11 01:36 PM

Ultimate Comics is a long term What If universe where most of the Ultimate characters were wiped out during Ultimatum (Prof. X, Cyclops, Doom, etc), Peter Parker can die and Reed Richards is a villain. What started out as an updated look at the Marvel universe became a "It's not the real Marvel U. Let's kill 'em!" Ultimate Peter Parker isn't coming back.

Nothing's been the same since Ultimatum.

fujishig 08-04-11 07:06 PM

Right. But how long will people buy a Spidey book that doesn't star Peter Parker? I guess Spider-man 2099 had a pretty decent run (wasn't he also Hispanic?), so we'll see.

Josh-da-man 08-04-11 07:51 PM

When, oh, when, will the white man ever catch a break?

The Bus 08-05-11 12:33 AM

Black Spider-man? What's next? A black Green Lantern or a black X-Men member?

madcougar 08-05-11 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 10879094)
Right. But how long will people buy a Spidey book that doesn't star Peter Parker? I guess Spider-man 2099 had a pretty decent run (wasn't he also Hispanic?), so we'll see.

He was half-Hispanic and half-Irish... Miguel O'Hara if I'm not mistaken.

whotony 08-07-11 08:10 PM

I don't care about this even a little bit. It is not the main Marvel continuity as already mentioned it's more of a what if? An alternate take on the Marvel characters.

Title of this topic should include that this is not the main Spider-man but the Ultimate version.

DarthVong 08-07-11 08:21 PM

http://blog.andyblume.com/img/gmm-bs2.jpg

Gabby Johnson: Hey! The Spiderman's a nig...
[Clock bell chimes]
Harriet Johnson: What did he say?
Dr. Sam Johnson: He said the Spiderman is near.
Gabby Johnson: No, gone blame it dang blammit! The Spiderman is a nig...
[Clock bell chimes again]

madcougar 08-09-11 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by whotony (Post 10881853)
I don't care about this even a little bit. It is not the main Marvel continuity as already mentioned it's more of a what if? An alternate take on the Marvel characters.

Title of this topic should include that this is not the main Spider-man but the Ultimate version.

I remember when Ultimate Spidey came out Joe Quesada pissed off a lot of people by saying something along the lines of: How do we know that the Ultimate Universe isn't the REAL Marvel Universe...