Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Invincible Compendium: 2000+ pg of Invincible goodness

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-16, 06:21 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Re: Invincible Compendium: 2000+ pg of Invincible goodness

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Damn. My nerdy claim to fame is that I named the letter page for Invincible.
That rocks, but the monthly reminder of your one moment of inspiration will soon be gone forever.
Old 08-22-16, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
With Kirkman's standing in Image, plus the success of WD, I don't think they would cancel it for low sales. I wonder how the tpbs and hardcovers do sales wise, I know I've never bought a floppy of it (though I did buy early tpbs, then rebought them as hardcovers.
Yeah, I bought one floppy when I wanted some resolution on an Atom Eve storyline, but I've bought all the TPBs and was in a phase when I was rebuying the HCs as well because I was rereading them frequently. I stopped buying the HCs a few volumes ago, but still reread the previous TPB when a new one comes out.

Damn. My nerdy claim to fame is that I named the letter page for Invincible.
Old 02-02-17, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Anyone here caught up on Invincible? The last issue was great, looking forward to the countdown of the last 12. If only they could get their damn release schedules consistent
Old 02-02-17, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Still reading the trades. I'll be caught up in a few months, or a year.
Old 02-02-17, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

I'm still barely through the Compendium. Too many omnibuses, too few hours in the day.
Old 02-02-17, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Now that I'm digital, I could switch to single issues, but the pricing is horrendous. I want to support the series, but...
Old 02-02-17, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davidh777
Still reading the trades. I'll be caught up in a few months, or a year.
Same, but now that the end is near I might pick up the last few "live".
Old 02-13-18, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

The last issue of Invincible is coming out this week. I wrote a little something about naming the letter column, which I mentioned up above. I hope it's OK if I share.

https://livelocalman.com/2018/02/13/...g-im-proud-of/

I need to get the issue picked up at some point tomorrow. The ending is going to be bittersweet.
Old 02-14-18, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I've been looking forward to this last issue, really sad to see the series go.
Old 02-14-18, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I just found out I have a letter in the final issue, I'm looking forward to checking that out.
Old 02-14-18, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I just read the last issue, nice way to wrap up the series with a look at what the future holds for Mark and company. After all the crazy stuff that happens throughout the series, glad that this one was a little more subdued and sweet, with some nice moments with the whole family and all the characters we've seen throughout the series.
Old 02-14-18, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts

The last issue of Invincible is coming out this week. I wrote a little something about naming the letter column, which I mentioned up above.
That's awesome!
Old 02-14-18, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Damn, this just ended? I had the first four hardcovers, but for some reason didn’t keep up. It was definitely pretty fun.
Old 02-16-18, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I enjoyed the last issue as well. Some of the time jumps were a little confusing, but otherwise, well done.
Old 02-20-18, 09:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The last issue of Invincible is coming out this week. I wrote a little something about naming the letter column, which I mentioned up above.
I've read every issue and never knew that was you. I even saw the letter in the finale about the name prior to seeing this post. Small world.
I only wrote them a letter once but they did put it in the letters page. Sad to see this title go. Image used to be so great at superheroes and now they're running out.
The following users liked this post:
majorjoe23 (04-12-21)
Old 04-12-21, 09:16 AM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

I just binged the last 60 issues of Invincible yesterday. Truly sad to see the series go, but I that it wrapped up nicely, minus the executions of a lot of heroes by Rex and general treatment of characters of color [highlight for spoilers]. I recall Kirkman saying he wanted the series to be handed down to other writers, in contrast to The Walking Dead, which was always planned as his very personal project. The title character's stages of life and mine have been pretty parallel for the majority of my time reading, so it's been a series to which I really connected. I thought it was really great how they dove into how actually, superheroes would massively shift power balances and general world progress and if they don't, are they really heroes? Looking back, I'm pretty surprised at how philosophical the book is about life, power, and protecting others.

One thing I'm not upset to be leaving behind is the pages-long recap scenes, where characters sit on a roof or something and then talk about the events of the series. I think that'd be a great idea if single issues were still the dominant form of consuming comics, but hoo boy, does that wear thin in collected editions.
Old 04-13-21, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 479 Likes on 351 Posts

HOLY THREAD RESURRECTION, BATMAN!!!!

Seriously, I was completely unaware of this title before this thread bump. Skimming through it I decided to check out the sample pages on Amazon, and I'll be damned if it doesn't look like something I'd really enjoy.

So as it is currently only $40 for Vol One I thought, "Why not?" And I ordered it. Yeah, it's out of stock and it could be a couple weeks to a couple months before they get it back in stock, but I'm in no hurry.

This should be a good read.
IBJoel (04-14-21)
Old 04-13-21, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik

Seriously, I was completely unaware of this title before this thread bump. Skimming through it I decided to check out the sample pages on Amazon, and I'll be damned if it doesn't look like something I'd really enjoy.

So as it is currently only $40 for Vol One I thought, "Why not?" And I ordered it. Yeah, it's out of stock and it could be a couple weeks to a couple months before they get it back in stock, but I'm in no hurry.

Wait, you didn't find this thread because of the Amazon Prime cartoon that just came out?
IBJoel (04-14-21)
Old 04-13-21, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 479 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Wait, you didn't find this thread because of the Amazon Prime cartoon that just came out?
What Amazon Prime cartoon?

There's a cartoon??
IBJoel (04-14-21)
Old 04-13-21, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

What Amazon Prime cartoon?

There's a cartoon??
Yes, it just started like a couple of weeks ago. If you have Amazon Prime it's on that service. Though if you already ordered the first volume it's probably better that you read the first six or so issues before watching episode 1.
IBJoel (04-14-21)
Old 04-13-21, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Be aware there are differences between the Amazon cartoon and comic book series. Not sure which I'd go with first, probably the comics.
IBJoel (04-14-21)
Old 04-14-21, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

It's a trip, man. It starts as a pretty fun universe of colorful characters with more realistic violence, then becomes a sort of meditation on the superhero genre. Should they take over the planet? When should you compromise with villains? Are pre-emptive strikes justified? Should you sacrifice a small population on the chance to stop a major threat? How do you balance important work and your personal life? It's all done much more gracefully and fun than how I just conveyed, but yeah, I was an enormous fan of the series and now I just need to finish the spin-offs.
Old 04-14-21, 10:23 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I want to read it again now.
IBJoel (04-15-21)
Old 04-26-21, 06:24 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

I finally decided to read this series after many of being in my pile of "to read". For some reason, never had the interest of reading the book and it was never a popular seller in my former store or in the ones I visit regularly. I knew about the twist of the story and some other things here and there, but so far I'm really liking it with a couple of minor things here and there. Really like Kirkman using his superhero universe in the book (Tech Jacket, Brit, Wolf-Man, Capes etc.) and some of Image long-time superheroes (Savage Dragon, Spawn, Youngblood, Pitt, Cyberforce, Witchblade, ShadowHawk, etc). I imagine that this was the way Image United was supposed to before the whole debacle came to an end.

Several things about this book and why it wasn't as popular as Walking Dead caught my attention.

- During the Invincible War, Youngblood appears. Is their appearance still there in the compendiums and collections? I'm wondering about this since Image no longer has the right to use Youngblood after Rob Liefeld lost the rights to the characters completely several years ago. I know the guy from Terrific Productions, the new Youngblood owner, is a complete dick and wouldn't be surprised if he makes a fuzz about Youngblood being in the book.

- While Walking Dead was consistently selling over 35K copies after issue 15 or so, Invincible never sold that well at stores. The series was one of those people online said it was good but I never saw people at shows or at stores looking for it until the past year. If I remember correctly, I only had one person at the store subscribing to it and he sold us the early issues (1-50) for $1 each.

- I always loved that Erik Larsen and Mike Alldred have always been there for anyone who wants to use their characters in a crossover story. They both had Dragon and Madman appear in several issues and still today they continue to help other creators by lending their characters.

- The TV show has streamlined some of the storylines better than what the book presented. Feel the writing on the show is tighter than the book so far.
The following 2 users liked this post by Red Hood:
IBJoel (04-27-21), John Pannozzi (04-27-21)
Old 04-26-21, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I'm not a fan of these ginormous hardcover compendiums. Too bulky, hard to read on the crapper or in bed. I've been collecting INVINCIBLE in TPBs for years though, and that's the day I plan on continuing.

Why this hasn't been turned into an animated show is beyond me... great serialized storytelling with clearly defined story and character arcs.
Called it in 2011!

Boy my life is empty...
The following 2 users liked this post by Hokeyboy:
majorjoe23 (04-26-21), PhantomStranger (04-28-21)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.