Reload this Page >

DC UNIVERSE Reboots in September, Same Day Digital Linewide

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

DC UNIVERSE Reboots in September, Same Day Digital Linewide

Old 02-21-13, 02:43 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: DC UNIVERSE Reboots in September, Same Day Digital Linewide

Wonder Woman & Batgirl are the best of the new 52 line.
Old 02-21-13, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,885 Likes on 1,455 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Point of discussion: It can't be called a comic book if it isn't read on paper. Discuss...

Vibe seems to be DC's latest push for Hispanic diversity. They will really have to write the heck out of it to achieve any sort of relevance.

The Phantom Stranger is commanding you to read The Phantom Stranger. The first trade paperback is coming out in a couple of months. I could sic the Spectre on you and compel you with my unearthly powers.
I just got my Phantom Stranger action figure the other day, does that appease you, oh Stranger? He's got lots of bling, too.

Seriously, though, the series is good? I was utterly unimpressed with his new origin.
Old 02-21-13, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979

I see you are in Florida. Did you live there as a kid too? Florida is highly populated so there were likely comic stores everywhere. Not all parts of the U.S. are so populated. Here in Indiana, you could drive for 50+ miles and never come across a comic store. As a teenager, there is absolutely no way my parents would have let me drive such distances alone.
I actually grew up in a small city in Kentucky. I will admit that most comics were only available through groceries and bookstores. However, because it was a college town, we always had at least one comic store in around during my years of interest. One of the Friday afternoon rituals I had after I got my driver's license was driving to the comic store to get something new and a back issue or two.

I am curious as to how kids or teens would get into comic books nowadays, considering specialty stores are the only real outlets and small towns still might not be likely to have them.

Getting back to DC, I still follow Batman and Superman to an extent, but the rest doesn't hold much interest for me. As I may or may not have stated before, if I want to follow a story, I now wait for the collected paperback. And FWIW, I never perceive myself as "hardcore", I just seem such to people who don't collect and aren't into comics.
Old 02-21-13, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I sold a couple of DVDs on eBay in late December and used some of the money to treat myself to the New 52 Batgirl action figure. Overpriced and the cape's collar is ridiculously too big, but I was excited enough I bought it anyway. I can't even remember the last time I bought an action figure. It's been several years. I doubt I'll buy any others any time soon, but it's nice to have this one for reference for sketching.

I'm still with Batgirl and Detective Comics, and I've been reading Legends of the Dark Knight. I really liked some stuff in the first couple issues, but subsequent stories haven't really gripped me. I'm hopeful for some better variety as it progresses.

Also, apparently Batwoman #17 ended with Batwoman proposing marriage to Maggie Sawyer. Maggie doesn't exactly look thrilled about it in the panel I saw in the article about it earlier. Whether an actual wedding will come of it or not, of course, is anyone's guess. I will say that it was pretty obnoxious just looking at the comments from ignorant non-readers. I almost hate any time anything related to comic books catches mainstream attention. There are way too many people out there who have adamant ideas of who or what comic books are about, stand for and/or are "appropriate" for that haven't looked inside one themselves since their youth (if at all).

I for one don't think it's just an attention-seeking stunt. Batwoman has been a prominent LGBTQ character all along, well liked and read. Her relationship with Maggie Sawyer has been one of the best things about the New 52, really. True, I bailed on the book after issue #11 but that was because of other inconsistencies with the quality of the book that irked me.
Old 02-21-13, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
I sold a couple of DVDs on eBay in late December and used some of the money to treat myself to the New 52 Batgirl action figure. Overpriced and the cape's collar is ridiculously too big, but I was excited enough I bought it anyway. I can't even remember the last time I bought an action figure. It's been several years. I doubt I'll buy any others any time soon, but it's nice to have this one for reference for sketching.

I'm still with Batgirl and Detective Comics, and I've been reading Legends of the Dark Knight. I really liked some stuff in the first couple issues, but subsequent stories haven't really gripped me. I'm hopeful for some better variety as it progresses.

Also, apparently Batwoman #17 ended with Batwoman proposing marriage to Maggie Sawyer. Maggie doesn't exactly look thrilled about it in the panel I saw in the article about it earlier. Whether an actual wedding will come of it or not, of course, is anyone's guess. I will say that it was pretty obnoxious just looking at the comments from ignorant non-readers. I almost hate any time anything related to comic books catches mainstream attention. There are way too many people out there who have adamant ideas of who or what comic books are about, stand for and/or are "appropriate" for that haven't looked inside one themselves since their youth (if at all).

I for one don't think it's just an attention-seeking stunt. Batwoman has been a prominent LGBTQ character all along, well liked and read. Her relationship with Maggie Sawyer has been one of the best things about the New 52, really. True, I bailed on the book after issue #11 but that was because of other inconsistencies with the quality of the book that irked me.
Batgirl is one of the first comics I read every month when my box from DCSB comes. Out of curiosity though, why have you stuck it out with Detective?
Old 02-21-13, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by madcougar
Batgirl is one of the first comics I read every month when my box from DCSB comes. Out of curiosity though, why have you stuck it out with Detective?
I read Batgirl last of my monthlies. As for 'Tec, I'd be lying if I said I was in love with it, but I like it enough each month to keep going. My biggest complaint with the book all along, whether written by Tony Daniel or now John Layman, is the thinness of most of the villains. I loved Dollmaker in the first arc, but it's been pretty thin since.

At first, I was kind of annoyed that Layman was going with Penguin when he took over, since we'd already seen him during Daniel's run, but I've come to like the stuff with him. I think "Emperor Penguin" is an absurd name but I actually am looking forward to the coming war between Penguin and Ogilvy. That power play stuff appeals to the same part of me that's hooked on Dallas right now.
Old 02-21-13, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 301 Posts

I read Blackest Night last year. The whole thing amounted to having the DC Universe do the Care Bear Stare by combining the different Lantern colors to defeat the Entity. It was pretty much the perfect microcosm of everything that chased me out of comics a decade ago: needless crossovers involving as many characters as possible, while giving 90% of them nothing to actually do except add to the visual scale of a convoluted story masquerading as complex.
I just finished Blackest Night last night. I think having read the Prelude to Blackest Night issues (mostly in Green Lantern and GLC) beforehand, where a lot of the different colors are introduced or explained, added to my enjoyment of the series, where there wasn't really a lot of time or room to do a lot of exposition of the different colors.

I think Giffen sounds like like a great match for a Larfleeze book.
Old 02-21-13, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Off-topic, but I was just approved for a press pass for C2E2 to write for Flickchart! Woot!
Old 02-21-13, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

After trying to follow monthly comics through places like the grocery store and convenience stores, I practically wept as a child when I stepped into my first dedicated comics shop.
This was kind of how I felt. When I stepped into my first direct sales comic shop in 1986, I was blown away. Things like Marvel Age and Previews were the most amazing things in the world. And the breadth of titles available and all the back issues were almost overwhelming.

Point of discussion: It can't be called a comic book if it isn't read on paper. Discuss...
Should we call them Comic eBooks?
Old 03-01-13, 03:21 PM
Banned

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/giff...interview.html

The return of Giffen and DeMatteis!!

They will be co-writing the new Larfleeze book. It might actually end up being a good book after all.
Old 03-01-13, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Totally forgot to even share it here, but earlier in the week Rolling Stone ran a piece with Grant Morrison. They are, indeed, killing Damian next month in Batman Incorporated #8.
Old 03-01-13, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Totally forgot to even share it here, but earlier in the week Rolling Stone ran a piece with Grant Morrison. They are, indeed, killing Damian next month in Batman Incorporated #8.
Happened on Wednesday. Brutal issue. Between this and SAGA, lots of death with some good characters this month.
Old 03-01-13, 04:08 PM
Banned

Little late on the news.

I posted it in the thread "New York Post spoils Batman Inc #8." The comic already came out this week, not next month.
Old 03-01-13, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by reubs82
Happened on Wednesday. Brutal issue. Between this and SAGA, lots of death with some good characters this month.
Little late on the news.

I posted it in the thread "New York Post spoils Batman Inc #8." The comic already came out this week, not next month.

Let's not tell anyone at C2E2 I'm this terrible at reporting or they'll revoke my press pass!
Old 03-01-13, 05:30 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by reubs82
Don't forget about
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Sun Boy
from the Legion of Superheroes
Old 03-01-13, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Totally forgot to even share it here, but earlier in the week Rolling Stone ran a piece with Grant Morrison...
Wow! Spoilers please! I'm a bit behind on New 52, so I was specifically avoiding that "New York Post spoils Batman Inc #8" thread.
Old 03-01-13, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Todd B.
Wow! Spoilers please! I'm a bit behind on New 52, so I was specifically avoiding that "New York Post spoils Batman Inc #8" thread.
Sorry! I normally use spoilers and even make a point to announce spoilers in case someone is reading an email update. I kind of assumed this being so public by now that cat was already out of the bag.
Old 03-02-13, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JasonF
Don't forget about
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Sun Boy
from the Legion of Superheroes
I don't read that book, so I didn't know.

Originally Posted by Todd B.
It happened to almost all of us. I went to DC's site to see what was coming out, and there was a big spoiler on their front page. It doesn't diminish the story, though, IMO.
Old 03-02-13, 05:59 PM
Banned

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/pand...ng-series.html

Pandora gets her own ongoing series starting in June.
Old 03-02-13, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

On a semi-related note...
Spoiler:
One of the Governor's goons is said to kill Lori during a prison standoff in The Walking Dead.
Old 03-02-13, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/pand...ng-series.html

Pandora gets her own ongoing series starting in June.
Hmm. Written by Ray Fawkes and art by Daniel Sampere. Could work, depending on what direction they take. I'm not terribly drawn to it myself, but I can see why it's a noodle worth throwing at the wall.
Old 03-03-13, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A big, scary villain returns in Detective Comics #18. He had a chilling arc in "Streets of Gotham", so I'm excited to see what Layman's going to do with him.
Old 03-06-13, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by madcougar
On a semi-related note...
Spoiler:
One of the Governor's goons is said to kill Lori during a prison standoff in The Walking Dead.
Spoiler:
That was not the most shocking death of that issue. I had the same reaction to that panel that Andrew Lincoln had in the TV series when Lori died.
Old 03-20-13, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Well heres a new low for the 52

It appears Superman has lost his latest writer faster than a speeding bullet.

Andy Diggle, who was announced as the new writer of DC Comics "Action Comics" back in October, announced today via Twitter that he has left the book, even before his first issue hit the stands. "Sadly, I’ve decided to walk away from Action Comics for professional reasons," his first Tweet read. "It was the toughest decision I’ve ever had to make, especially with Superman’s 75th anniversary and Man of Steel on the horizon. But it was the right decision. No regrets. Onwards!

"Sincere thanks to Matt Idelson for inviting me to follow Grant Morrison on Action Comics. I hope we still get to work together someday. Thank you to all the fans who’ve expressed their enthusiasm in anticipation of my run. I wish nothing but the best of luck to whichever new creative team picks up the red boots and cape."

Diggle and artist Tony Daniel's first issue will be next month's "Action Comics" #19. At present, it is unclear how many issues of the book will be written by Diggle, but he did discuss his plans for a second arc following his first six issues of "Action" in a round table discussion with CBR last week. Meanwhile, DC has confirmed for CBR that Daniel will remain on board as both writer and artist once Diggle's contributions are done.
Old 03-20-13, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

I'm not sure DC has any idea on how to properly handle the character of Superman in today's world. He basically needs to have the secular persona of a Tim Tebow in today's world, but doing it as the world's greatest superhero. Instead I get the feeling that DC takes the character for granted and uses Superman as a prop for the rest of their characters.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.