Reload this Page >

DC UNIVERSE Reboots in September, Same Day Digital Linewide

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

DC UNIVERSE Reboots in September, Same Day Digital Linewide

Old 07-14-11, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: DC UNIVERSE Reboots in September, Same Day Digital Linewide

So they're releasing 52 #1's in one month and making a big deal about it and are now sprinkling in additional #1's the second month? Not really giving these second month books much of a fighting chance are they?
Old 07-14-11, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Justice League #2

Old 07-14-11, 04:34 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Also, Batman's continuity and characters are being affected the least because his books have been selling. Point blank, DC said why mess with a top-selling book. So that is why the Robins are all sticking around.

Superman is being rebooted because DC is not happy with his sales.
That's what's so ridiculous about this whole thing to me. There are all sorts of reasons why the average Joe on the street isn't buying Superman. I would be willing to bet a large sum of money that "I don't like his continuity and wish DC would replace it with a different continuity" is not in the top twenty.
Old 07-14-11, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Because apparently what will rescue DC Comics is a comic about a Victorian literary character recast as a superspy. You know, I could almost buy this idea if they had at least brought in noted Frankenstein enthusiast Kevin Nowlan to do it.

Frankenstein was actually pretty interesting and fun under Morrison during Seven Soldiers and Final Crisis.
Old 07-15-11, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Justice League #2

#1 - roster of heroes. #2 - heroes choking each other. My guess: #3 - anguished characters surround dying hero/sidekick

Originally Posted by atxbomber

Frankenstein was actually pretty interesting and fun under Morrison during Seven Soldiers and Final Crisis.
Okay, I admit that one was probably uncalled for snark from me. Just the idea of Frankenstein's monster joining Impossible Mission Force seems a little too "fan fiction" for my taste, but whatever.
Old 07-15-11, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Justice League #2

Why do they all have the same "I'm just here, with a mild grimace" look on their faces?
Old 07-15-11, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I gave in and added Action and Justice League to my small DCBS order.
Old 07-15-11, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MBoyd
I gave in and added Action and Justice League to my small DCBS order.
I stopped buying comic books about three years ago, but figured what the hell and placed my first DCBS order ever yesterday. I got about 12 different DC #1 and the start of Buffy Season 9. So at the every least, DC is going to get their money out of me thanks to this event.
Old 07-15-11, 10:03 AM

I pretty much ceased floppy buying except for Walking Dead. And I have been buying the new Planet Of The Apes though. The only thing I order from DCBS is any Marvel Omnibus. But I found that on months they don't solicit one and I don't put an order in for that month they won't ship me anything even if I have an Omnibus that comes late. I had late Omnis sitting there for 3 months last summer not getting shipped! Ordering a floppy or two with every order eliminates that since those are generally on time.
Old 07-15-11, 11:02 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I think I'll be succumbing as well and buying monthlies for pretty much the first time in years.

For a non-recent buyer who wants to buy most of all of the 52, where do you all think would be the best deal?
Old 07-15-11, 12:02 PM

Discount Comic Book Service has all the first issues for $80.
Old 07-15-11, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Originally Posted by atxbomber

Grant Morrison is the only person in the entire world who can write a story about Frankenstein on Mars and not only have it work, but be pretty awesome in the process.

I'm still baffled how he made We3 be this really fantastic story when it's one the dumbest concepts imaginable.
Old 07-15-11, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Grant Morrison is the only person in the entire world who can write a story about Frankenstein on Mars and not only have it work, but be pretty awesome in the process.

I'm still baffled how he made We3 be this really fantastic story when it's one the dumbest concepts imaginable.
I remember picking up the first issue on nothing more than utter curiosity as to how stupid the book would be. And of course, it was pretty damn good.
Old 07-15-11, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't been buying floppies regularly for quite some time. I just pick up trades or read them at the library. But, I'm going to pick up about 10 titles from DCBS of this relaunch. I'm curious to see where they are going with this and I figure it is worth $20 to find out.
Old 07-17-11, 01:22 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

For those who want a sneak preview of Frankenstein, there's a Frankenstein Flashpoint tie-in written by Jeff Lemire, who will be handling the writing on the post-Flashpoint Frankenstein book. I've only read the first issue so far, but it was pretty awesome. Not surprising, because Jeff Lemire is pretty awesome in general (for something completely different from anything else out there, check out his book "Sweet Tooth").
Old 07-17-11, 06:35 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by MBoyd
Discount Comic Book Service has all the first issues for $80.
Thanks! I'm in at that price. As long as that's not each issue.......
Old 07-17-11, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

As much as I dislike as a whole what DC is doing with this "reboot/relaunch" I am in for all 52 first issues from dcbs. This will be the first floppy I've collected since collecting everyone issue of Batman No Man's Land. Hopefully I won't be disappointed.
Old 07-17-11, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you have read the latest Green Lantern issue, then GL #1 makes more sense. Also it still makes me think this is a year long experiment.
Old 07-18-11, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

First look at the (new) cover of DC’s Action Comics #1

Just ahead of Comic-Con International in San Diego, the New York Post has unveiled a first look at what’s apparently the actual cover for September’s Action Comics #1, part of DC Comics’ line-wide relaunch.

Drawn by series artist Rags Morales, the cover is obviously different from the one that premiered last month, playing up action — lowercase “a” — rather than the iconic imagery of the original Action Comics #1. The art in the Post is small, but it appears as if the numbers of the police cruisers are “19″ and “38,” the year the series, and Superman, debuted. It’s possible that the earlier cover could be used as the variant; however, the solicitation credits that to Jim Lee and Scott Williams.

The newspaper notes what was already fairly clear: that while most of the relaunch titles, including Batman and Green Lantern, “will showcase DC’s iconic heroes when they’re well into their careers,” Action will dwell on the early adventures of the Man of Steel — during which he wore blue jeans, a T-shirt and a little red cape.

“We felt it was time for the big adventures of a 21st-century Paul Bunyan who fights for the weak and downtrodden against bullies of all kinds, from robot invaders and crime lords to corrupt city officials,” writer Grant Morrison says, building on his earlier description of the superhero as “a Bruce Springsteen version of Superman.” “The new look reflects his status as a street-level defender of the ordinary man and woman.”

little cape.
Old 07-18-11, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

little cape.
Yep, he looks a little... slow with that cape. I get the sense DC is taking a page out of the Smallville playbook showcasing with Action.
Old 07-18-11, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Hadrian7
As much as I dislike as a whole what DC is doing with this "reboot/relaunch" I am in for all 52 first issues from dcbs. This will be the first floppy I've collected since collecting everyone issue of Batman No Man's Land. Hopefully I won't be disappointed.
I've been clean for more than three years myself, but I've ordered about half the books from DSCB last week. In this regard, it looks like DC is at the very least luring old fans back into the fold. I was describing this whole relaunch thing as "chocolate crack" to a buddy yesterday. How could an addict who's been clean resist crack if they somehow added chocolate to it?
Old 07-18-11, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Major Spoilers for Superman relaunch:

Spoiler:
Single, Orphaned, Alien: Big Changes for DCnU SUPERMAN

Superman and Lois Lane are breaking up, and that's not the only major change coming to the world's most iconic superhero.

September's Action Comics #1 and Superman #1 will introduce several major alterations to the character, sources at DC confirm.

Husband and wife since 1996 in the comics, the new status quo will find Clark Kent and Lois Lane not only unmarried, but establish that they were never married in the first place. Clark will be a bachelor, and Lois will have a new boyfriend, one whose identity is yet to be revealed but is said to be a Daily Planet colleague.

Additionally, Superman's alien origins will be emphasized in a big way, with the character described as "more Kal-El from the planet Krypton than Clark Kent from Kansas." Superman's deep connection to his Kryptonian heritage also explains his new costume, as seen on the cover of Superman #1. It's "ceremonial armor" from his home planet, with the traditional red trunks abandoned.

Perhaps part of the reason Superman's embracing his alien nature is the loss of his adopted parents. Jonathan and Martha Kent are both dead in DC's post-Flashpoint continuity, a pronounced change from the recent past, and a return to the pre-Crisis on Infinite Earths status quo in that respect.

Action Comics, which focuses on Superman's early superhero career, depicts a "younger, more brooding" Man of Steel adjusting to his adopted homeworld. His powers are still in development at this point, as he "can leap tall buildings but can't fly in space." The series, written by Grant Morrison and illustrated by Rags Morales, will also show the evolution of his costume from jeans and work boots to Kryptonian armor.

Kal-El's present will be told in Superman, with a "new status quo at the Daily Planet" and a new gig at the paper for Lois Lane. Additionally, the series, by George Perez and Jesus Merino, will show that "there's a price to pay for being Superman" and debut a brand-new villain, one said to be more powerful than the Man of Steel.

And lets see some #2 covers:

Oh wow. Kara punching Clark...never seen that before...
Old 07-18-11, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

"Younger and more brooding." 'Cause that's what I've always wanted out of Superman. I wonder if he'll shop at Hot Topic.

Given the translucent nature of the monster attacking him in the second image, I wonder if that won't prove to be a wrap-around cover pitting him against a Green Lantern.

However, I do like the new "emphasis" on his nature. I always felt that was a poorly explored aspect of the character. I think it would have stronger meaning without the existence of Supergirl and Superboy, though.
Old 07-18-11, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh wow. Kara punching Clark...never seen that before...
But have you ever seen her punching an armor-wearing Clark?
Old 07-18-11, 03:10 PM
Banned

So Superman: One More Day is official now. Clark and Lois didn't just break up. They were NEVER married. Good god, didn't DC learn anything at all from Marvel's fiasco? This won't do anything but hurt Superman sales since many readers like myself are now going to abandon the Superman comics until the marriage is put back in place.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.