Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

DC UNIVERSE Reboots in September, Same Day Digital Linewide

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-13, 06:23 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: DC UNIVERSE Reboots in September, Same Day Digital Linewide

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
So the solicits say Detective #27 is 96 pages. Not 104. It ends up being $7.99.
I wonder why eight pages were trimmed? $7.99 is actually pretty cheap for it considering its a triple-sized book. (A normal comic is about 32 pages counting the ads.) I expected the price tag to be tripled too.

Don’t miss a modern-day retelling of The Dark Knight’s origin by the incredible team of writer Brad Meltzer and artist Bryan Hitch!
Another origin? What's the point? Especially considering Scott Snyder is already writing the New 52 Batman origin in his own book.

I was hoping they would do something like they did in 1989 for the 50th anniversary. That issue reprinted the original story from Detective #27 plus three updated variations of that same story. I remember one variation was in the goofy 60s tone, the second variation was in the more mature 70s tone, and the third variation was done in the then modern tone by Alan Grant and Norm Breyfogle.

I thought that issue was awesome the way it did different variations of the same story in different tones from different periods of Batman's history.

Edit: I just looked it up. That comic was from 1991, not 1989. It was Detective Comics #627.

Last edited by taffer; 10-15-13 at 06:47 AM.
Old 01-05-14, 11:05 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

In case any DC fans missed this in the easy-to-miss stickied bargain thread:

Originally Posted by Jacoby Ellsbury
Discount Mags is having a DC Comic Book Sale for $13.99 each per year. Thanks brisar
Batman: The Dark Knight
Batman & Robin
Superman
Green Latern
Catwoman
Wonder Woman
Aquaman
Teen Titans
Green Arrow
Supergirl

http://www.discountmags.com/promos/c...8&a=slickdeals
Wow, thanks Jacoby. And an extra 10% back if you fatwallet it.
Old 01-05-14, 01:51 PM
Banned

I never heard of Discount Mags before. Are they legit? The covers they use for those subscriptions are old, like from before the New 52 old. The Batman & Robin cover is a Dr. Hurt cover from like 2009-2010, and the Green Lantern cover is from Blackest Night. Also, another thing is do not subscribe to The Dark Knight. I'm surprised that's even still an option. It has been canceled and only has three more issues coming out. Issue #29 is the final issue, and then its being replaced by the new Batman: Eternal series.
Old 01-05-14, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by taffer
I never heard of Discount Mags before. Are they legit? The covers they use for those subscriptions are old, like from before the New 52 old. The Batman & Robin cover is a Dr. Hurt cover from like 2009-2010, and the Green Lantern cover is from Blackest Night. Also, another thing is do not subscribe to The Dark Knight. I'm surprised that's even still an option. It has been canceled and only has three more issues coming out. Issue #29 is the final issue, and then its being replaced by the new Batman: Eternal series.
I've been using DiscountMags for years. They're quite legit. I subscribe to three DC titles through them from a similar deal last year.

Renewed my DK just now, didn't know about the cancellation. Oh well, either I get a refund or hopefully like the new Eternal.
Old 01-05-14, 02:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Trevor
I've been using DiscountMags for years. They're quite legit. I subscribe to three DC titles through them from a similar deal last year.
Thanks. I guess they just don't update the covers often then since some of those covers are almost five years old.

Renewed my DK just now, didn't know about the cancellation. Oh well, either I get a refund or hopefully like the new Eternal.
That's why you should read the solicitations.

DC's March solicitations

The Dark Knight #29 was marked as the final issue. Batman: Eternal begins in April. Eternal is a weekly comic to celebrate Batman's 75th anniversary. From what I have seen and read about it, it looks like an anthology comic with a different writer/artist team on each issue. Also, DC has said Stephanie Brown will be re-introduced into the New 52 in an early issue.
Old 01-05-14, 02:37 PM

It's too much to ask I'm sure, but hopefully they transfer my subscription to Eternal and I get the full year.
Old 01-05-14, 02:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Trevor
It's too much to ask I'm sure, but hopefully they transfer my subscription to Eternal and I get the full year.
They may transfer the subscription, but I seriously doubt they will give you the full year since Eternal is a weekly comic.
Old 01-13-14, 06:21 PM
Banned

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=50254

Wally West is back. He will be brought into the New 52 in Flash Annual #3 in April. Apparently he will have a blue suit now. That gives me deja vu of electric blue Superman...

Old 01-14-14, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes!!!!
Old 01-14-14, 02:35 PM
Banned

The fans demanded it. DC listened. Aquaman gets a second ongoing series.
Old 01-14-14, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Some people are speculating that Wally is the kid tagging the wall and the Blue Flash is someone else. I kinda dig that costume tho.
Old 01-14-14, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

If Barry gets the classic colors, I don't mind Wally ending up with this blue scheme. Though a nod to his Kid Flash costume would have been nice.
Old 01-14-14, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Some people are speculating that Wally is the kid tagging the wall and the Blue Flash is someone else. I kinda dig that costume tho.
That's kinda a rotating timeline, right? Barry gets his powers, fights some kind of Flash gorilla, confronts a kid tagging, that kid gets blue powers somehow, and boom.

He can't have his Kid Flash costume because there's already a Kid Flash (Impulse, on the terrible Teen Titans book).

The costume reminds me of the Blue Lantern Flash...
Old 01-14-14, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

The fans demanded it. DC listened. Aquaman gets a second ongoing series.
Wow! Bring it on!
Old 01-14-14, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by stingermck
Wow! Bring it on!
And a Lost tie in too... Aquaman and the Others
Old 01-16-14, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just read that Lobdell's Teen Titans was finally being put out of it's misery. While it was no good anyway (from the initial run I read) and I'm sure it'll be replaced with a New Teen Titans soon, it makes me sad that there's no Legion of Super Heroes or Teen Titan book out there right now...
Old 01-17-14, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
Just read that Lobdell's Teen Titans was finally being put out of it's misery. While it was no good anyway (from the initial run I read) and I'm sure it'll be replaced with a New Teen Titans soon, it makes me sad that there's no Legion of Super Heroes or Teen Titan book out there right now...
It REALLY wasn't good. At all. They've ruined Tim Drake in the New 52. And this whole thing with N.O.W.H.E.R.E. is S.T.U.P.I.D.
Old 01-17-14, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just saw that another beloved character is returning to DC. But it's hard to say what that beloved character is going to be doing.

Spoiler:
Ted Kord the original Blue Beetle
Old 01-17-14, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I thought he'd be back after what happened to his father in Forever Evil #1.
Old 02-12-14, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Just finished reading the collected edition of Death of the Family. I agree that it's a story where the road to the payoff is better than the actual payoff itself. I didn't really see that
Spoiler:
Joker knew Bruce Wayne was Batman, as there is the possibility Joker was so insane he didn't even recognize Bruce Wayne and might not make the connection. Of course him knowing and not giving a shit is pretty cool.
Old 02-13-14, 04:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Just finished reading the collected edition of Death of the Family. I agree that it's a story where the road to the payoff is better than the actual payoff itself. I didn't really see that
Spoiler:
Joker knew Bruce Wayne was Batman, as there is the possibility Joker was so insane he didn't even recognize Bruce Wayne and might not make the connection. Of course him knowing and not giving a shit is pretty cool.
Spoiler:
Joker has actually known Batman is Bruce Wayne ever since 1988's Death in the Family. Joker just doesn't care.
Old 02-13-14, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Spoiler:
Joker has actually known Batman is Bruce Wayne ever since 1988's Death in the Family. Joker just doesn't care.
Damn, I feel old. I don't remember that. I haven't read those books since they came out. Which issue was that?
Old 02-13-14, 09:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mrhan
Damn, I feel old. I don't remember that. I haven't read those books since they came out. Which issue was that?
Spoiler:
Batman #429. After Joker kills Jason, Bruce and Joker have a staring contest, and then Joker walks away laughing which basically implies that Joker knows Bruce is Batman.

Old 02-13-14, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Spoiler:
Batman #429. After Joker kills Jason, Bruce and Joker have a staring contest, and then Joker walks away laughing which basically implies that Joker knows Bruce is Batman.

Pretty sure it wasn't definitively established Joker knew Wayne was Batman. And with the New 52 all of that is down the crapper anyway.
Old 02-13-14, 10:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by madcougar
Pretty sure it wasn't definitively established Joker knew Wayne was Batman. And with the New 52 all of that is down the crapper anyway.
Spoiler:
No, it wasn't definitively established, but it was heavily implied. Joker just doesn't care who Batman is. Batman is his enemy, not the man under the cowl.

Joker also saw Batman with his cowl down during Morrison's Batman R.I.P. storyarc as well. That was the first time it was definitively established that Joker knew.

Death in the Family wasn't thrown out with the New 52. It is still canon. Morrison's run is as well.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.