Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

DC UNIVERSE Reboots in September, Same Day Digital Linewide

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-13, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Re: DC UNIVERSE Reboots in September, Same Day Digital Linewide

Originally Posted by JasonF
What made the Question cool is that he was just a guy (or later, a woman) in a mask, busting heads at the street level, but I guess that's out the window too.

I liked the Secret Origin issue that presented four possible origins for the Phantom Stranger. As you might expect, Alan Moore's version was the best, but the other three weren't half bad either. Except Dan Mishkin's origin that ripped off Lee and Kirby's Galactus origin. That one was kind of bad.
Loved that issue I prefer PS as the Wandering Jew, rather than Judas, if we're gonna use that kind of origin...
Old 02-05-13, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

It annoys the shit out of me when they ruin covers with adverts like dc did this month with the Arrow ad strip across the top of Supergirl.
Old 02-05-13, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
It annoys the shit out of me when they ruin covers with adverts like dc did this month with the Arrow ad strip across the top of Supergirl.
Seconded. I fucking hate that shit, especially when it mars great covers.

Old 02-05-13, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I'm a bit behind on this thread, but since it's back on my mind I've been following the "Death of the Family" arc in Batgirl and Detective Comics, which I buy and read, as well as the main arc itself in Batman, which a friend buys and has let me read.

I started off kind of curious about it, and I liked the initial lure. Batgirl #14 was one of the most riveting page-turners I've come across in all my years reading comics. The entire thing as a story, though, has quickly become "meh" for me.

I read Batman #16, expecting to see something at least as gripping as Batgirl #14, but all I got for my trouble was Batman wandering through Arkham decked out as though The Joker was celebrating Halloween with his own haunted house. Every other page, Batman had to face some kind of challenge in a different room, which he just breezed through of course.

There's an altercation with Mr. Freeze at one point. Freeze jumps out at the top of the stairs, yelling "Die, Batman!" and firing his ice gun. In something like three panels, Batman has already dispatched him and is on his way. You get the sense that someone will clean up Freeze and reset him at the top of the stairs for the next tourist scheduled to come through in five minutes. There's just no tension, no sense of urgency and there's certainly no progression of the overall story.

Not only that, but it reduces major villains like Mr. Freeze and Scarecrow to something beneath even being an early level boss, to use video game terminology. Batman takes care of them with all the effort of Mario jumping on a Goomba. How threatening are these guys going to be after we've seen them be taken out so quickly and efficiently in this story?

The only nice thing was the back-up story of the next part of the story, told from the p.o.v. of The Joker interacting with The Riddler, The Penguin and Two-Face. There are some interesting character points made to/about Harvey Dent that I found intriguing. The Joker outright says that Harvey was already a bad guy at heart who simply used the acid attack as an excuse to cut loose. We've seen in some incarnations where the Two-Face persona pre-dated the accident, so that wasn't revelatory, but I can't recall seeing anyone call Harvey out on that like this.

What really makes it compelling, though, is that The Joker then immediately proves that good guy Harvey Dent is also still in there, capable of asserting himself and putting Two-Face in check. Their little byplay only lasts about a page, but it's far and away the most interesting stuff I've read in any of these three issues of Batman. Yeah, I get it, Scott Snyder: The Joker is in love with "Batssss" and Bruce has to give himself pep talks in the third person. Just get on with it, already.
Old 02-05-13, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

That is the one problem I had with the Superman/Batman:Public Enemies animated movie
Spoiler:
when they have to fight all those villains at once they mow through them like nothing. The worst was when Batman dipatches Bane in two seconds flat. BANE ffs.
Old 02-06-13, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts

It was the same in the animated JLoom, the loose adaptation of the Tower of Babel storyline. But I think it's a staple of comic books, the bad guys get the heroes down, then the heroes get their act together, unify, and through teamwork mow through the bad guys who had just dominated them before. Like a Hulk Hogan effect.

But yeah, one of the issues I have with WFH comic book work is that with all these cooks in the kitchen, invariably some villain who was given great characterization and a dominating presence by one writer is left as cannon-fodder of the week by another writer down the road. It gets really bad when you need to, say, legitimize a new villain and thus need to sacrifice some heroes (see James Robinson's Starman or Cry for Justice, or most recently Avengers Arena, or even how Civil War made the New Warriors into chumps)
Old 02-06-13, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

It's definitely a problem in serialized universes, the changing power levels of the villains depending on the needs of the story. Each writer has their own favorites or needs to puff up their new creation, so they trash an existing villain in one or two panels to establish credibility or speed along the story. The only villains to escape this problem are usually the mega-popular ones like the Joker or Lex Luthor. Groups of villains are the worse, because they almost always have to present them weaker than their solo adventures.

It's why a concept like the Legion Of Doom doesn't work in serious storytelling.
Old 02-06-13, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't necessarily fault writers for inconsistency with one another on this kind of thing nearly as much as I fault editors. Especially in the modern comic book landscape, consistency with what others have done seems to be the primary purpose of an editor. (Though I've seen some of the scripts from Bendis and I cringe every time I imagine his editors wondering how someone that prone to spelling errors ever got to be a writing superstar.)

Poor Mr. Freeze. Very few people remember it, but The Joker murdered him in a single panel of Robin II: The Joker's Wild!! #1 back in the early 90s. This was just before Batman: The Animated Series entirely redefined the character and elevated him from tertiary to primary status. Brought back to life without anyone ever saying a word about his murder, only to be back to taken-out-in-a-single-page status. So sad. No wonder he's so vindictive.
Old 02-06-13, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just read the new 52 origin of Mr. Freeze... that was much worse than Batman or whoever dispatching him easily.
Old 02-06-13, 10:43 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Poor Mr. Freeze. Very few people remember it, but The Joker murdered him in a single panel of Robin II: The Joker's Wild!! #1 back in the early 90s. This was just before Batman: The Animated Series entirely redefined the character and elevated him from tertiary to primary status. Brought back to life without anyone ever saying a word about his murder, only to be back to taken-out-in-a-single-page status. So sad. No wonder he's so vindictive.
I remember the Robin miniseries. I loved the first two miniseries, but not the third one too much.

But yeah, killing Mr. Freeze off like that was odd. It was his first post-COIE appearance I believe, and they killed him off in one page. They did bring him back in Knightquest however where he fought Jean Paul Valley as Batman, and Freeze made a comment about the last thing he remembered was Joker's grinning face and that his failsafe must have activated which saved his life.
Old 02-07-13, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Back then Mr. Freeze was always viewed as a bad relic of the '60s television show in the comics. He was a Sci-Fi villain in the gritty world of "the Batman." They didn't call it the grim 'n gritty era of comics for nothing. You can blame Alan Moore and Frank Miller.
Old 02-07-13, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Back then Mr. Freeze was always viewed as a bad relic of the '60s television show in the comics. He was a Sci-Fi villain in the gritty world of "the Batman." They didn't call it the grim 'n gritty era of comics for nothing. You can blame Alan Moore and Frank Miller.
Fair enough, but why did Chuck Dixon off Freeze instead of just leaving him alone the way every other post-Crisis writer had done to that point? I get that no one had any idea what to do with him in the storytelling landscape of the time, but this is part of what we've all been griping about through this entire thread (and, I suspect, ever since we each started reading comics). There was nothing gained by casually murdering Freeze. All it did was put other writers behind the 8 ball.

Maybe they couldn't have anticipated Paul Dini finally crafting the definitive take on the character, but there really ought to be more of an allowance for that kind of possibility. It didn't serve the story at hand, or help anyone tell any stories in the future.

Scott Snyder reducing Freeze and Scarecrow to throwaway thugs in Batman #16 at least leaves them alive for other writers, who have to hope that we can just forget or overlook how he made them look so feeble.
Old 02-07-13, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

I had no problem with Batman dispatching Freeze and Scarecrow so easily. He has fought them countless times, knows their weaknesses, and was prepared for anything when he walked in. Scarecorw has already been seen in Batman The Dark Knight, so this wasnt his 52 introduction, and Freeze was in the Red Hood title during Court of Owls.

Plus hes the God Damn Batman.
Old 02-07-13, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by stingermck
I had no problem with Batman dispatching Freeze and Scarecrow so easily. He has fought them countless times, knows their weaknesses, and was prepared for anything when he walked in. Scarecorw has already been seen in Batman The Dark Knight, so this wasnt his 52 introduction, and Freeze was in the Red Hood title during Court of Owls.

Plus hes the God Damn Batman.
I'm not sure what their having been seen already in The New 52 has to do with the subject at hand. He's fought The Joker countless times, too, but do you not see that Snyder threw Freeze and Scarecrow under the bus just to make The Joker look bigger?

More to the point, do you not see how this undermines Freeze and Scarecrow going forward for anyone trying to tell a story about them? If Batman is so familiar with them that he can deal with them in a single panel, then why should any of us ever again believe they represent a meaningful threat to Batman in future stories? The next time one of them is the villain-of-the-month, won't it bug you to remember how he made them into complete chumps here?
Old 02-12-13, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Geoff Johns is leaving Green Lantern:

So here’s the sad news: Doug Mahnke and I are closing the GREEN LANTERN SAGA that began with GREEN LANTERN: REBIRTH #1 with this May’s 64-page GREEN LANTERN #20. As every storyline is coming to a head, it feels like the right time. The book is still doing great. The characters are as vibrant as ever. Let’s go out how we started – on a high note.

Counting up between the GREEN LANTERN monthly series, REBIRTH, BLACKEST NIGHT and the various one-shots and specials…that makes over 100 issues of GREEN LANTERN I’ve had the absolute privilege, pleasure and fortune to write.

I’m obviously ending my run with a little sadness because I love these characters, every single one of them. But I’m walking away feeling very proud of what we’ve done and very grateful for the opportunity to collaborate with so many fellow creators. It’s that collaboration, and every reader out there, who have made this a truly special experience. It's hard to imagine a GREEN LANTERN universe without characters like Atrocitus, Larfleeze, Saint Walker, the Indigo Tribe or the rest of the gang anymore. And I can't count how many Lantern t-shirts of all colors I continue to see.

It was Dan DiDio and Peter Tomasi who I first spoke with about GREEN LANTERN. Dan was the Executive Editor of DC Comics at the time and Pete my editor on JSA. They both wanted to relaunch GREEN LANTERN. My very first proposal that I could find dates back to September 2nd, 2003 meaning I’ve been working on GREEN LANTERN for nearly ten years in some way or another. I’ll never forget Dan telling me his idea for the title, “Rebirth,” he said.

Through BLACKEST NIGHT and BRIGHTEST DAY, literally, Peter Tomasi has always been there. From the incredibly long conversations and debate on REBIRTH to later writing GREEN LANTERN CORPS beginning with the conclusion of SINESTRO CORPS and up until today, Pete has been my creative partner in crime and what GREEN LANTERN grew into would not have happened without him.

And, of course, look at the amazing artists I worked with: Ethan Van Sciver, your mad genius was key to everything we expanded the universe into – the endless energy you have for creation is unmatched. Ivan Reis and Joe Prado, you brought a scope only you two could deliver culminating with BLACKEST NIGHT – and you’re showing the world what JUSTICE LEAGUE should be. And Doug Mahnke…he’s the current superstar I work with every month on GREEN LANTERN and have for years now. Doug, you’re one of the most amazing and unique artists in the business. Your power, grit and sense of wonder can be seen at its very best in the gatefold cover for GREEN LANTERN #20.

I’m fortunate enough to continue working with Doug as we head over to a new project later this year.

We all owe a debt to Julius Schwartz, John Broome and Gil Kane for creating such an incredible foundation to build on with Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps. Without them, there would be no Green Lantern.

So what will GREEN LANTERN #20 bring? The bizarre return of Hal Jordan, the final fate of Sinestro, the revelation of the First Lantern and an ending that I hope pays off everything we’ve ever done and ever created with GREEN LANTERN. It has art by Doug Mahnke, Ethan Van Sciver, Ivan Reis and Joe Prado and I’ve poured everything I can into the script.

I’m off to focus my energy on the JUSTICE LEAGUE universe as we head into what I hope is an exciting plan – Simon Baz and B’dg will be along for the ride in JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA – and you’ll no doubt see Hal Jordan and some of the other Lanterns in the world of the Justice League before too long. And Sinestro…? You’ll have to read GREEN LANTERN #20 for that…

Thank you again for reading – whether you started with REBIRTH or started this month – I sincerely appreciate your time and imagination.

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night –

All Will Be Well,
Geoff
Old 02-12-13, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Helluva run on GL. Hard to believe its been 9 years. In this age its rare to see 1 writer stick with a book so long
Old 02-12-13, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Helluva run on GL. Hard to believe its been 9 years. In this age its rare to see 1 writer stick with a book so long
True. To be honest, I'm glad. I've tried to read a few of his GL stories but most of them seemed to require Wikipedia to follow and the ones I actually read were so lazy and generic that I had no desire to bother with the rest. I like the characters, though, and maybe with someone else writing them again I'll actually be interested.
Old 02-12-13, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The next time one of them is the villain-of-the-month, won't it bug you to remember how he made them into complete chumps here?
Not at all.

Every writer and story is different. Its all about how it serves the particular story. I've seen Scarecrow push Batman to his absolute limits, and I've seen him go out like a bitch.

Bane beat Bruce down over a whole issue. Azrael took him out in a few pages. It doesn't make me think Bane is a weak villain. Its just what the story called for.
Old 02-12-13, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not at all.

Every writer and story is different. Its all about how it serves the particular story. I've seen Scarecrow push Batman to his absolute limits, and I've seen him go out like a bitch.
A fair point. I suppose a better question would be, "Does it bug you to see characters needlessly thrown under the bus just to serve one story?"

Bane beat Bruce down over a whole issue. Azrael took him out in a few pages. It doesn't make me think Bane is a weak villain. Its just what the story called for.
I'd say in that specific case, it really just contrasted healthy Azrael with completely fatigued Bruce, using Bane as a barometer.
Old 02-12-13, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A fair point. I suppose a better question would be, "Does it bug you to see characters needlessly thrown under the bus just to serve one story?"
Not really. Ive seen countless reboots, character changes, different takes on the same character, etc so I just roll with it.

I'm more upset that Firestorm and Hawkman are getting canceled, than Mr Freeze getting his ass kicked.
Old 02-12-13, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

I have been reading about some recent developments in DC, specifically Batman: Death of the Family, and I have to say that I think it's just another example of what's wrong with comics nowadays. Like Amazing Spider-Man #700, they seem to think that doing drastic and shocking stuff is the only way to maintain interest. Problem is, Death of Superman really did ruin modern comics in that it proved no matter how drastic a change is made, it will go back to status quo.
Old 02-12-13, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I have been reading about some recent developments in DC, specifically Batman: Death of the Family, and I have to say that I think it's just another example of what's wrong with comics nowadays. Like Amazing Spider-Man #700, they seem to think that doing drastic and shocking stuff is the only way to maintain interest. Problem is, Death of Superman really did ruin modern comics in that it proved no matter how drastic a change is made, it will go back to status quo.
Death of Superman did that? I actually have no problem with the big status resets... obviously Bruce Wayne is going to be Batman and Superman is not going to be dead in the "real" universe. But long before that happened Jean Grey came back from the dead in X-Factor/FF after being dead for many years, and eventually even sacred cows like Bucky (although hey, that was a pretty good story), Jason Todd, and Barry Allen were coming back from the dead. That I have a problem with, when you give years and years of characterization and people evolving because of the event, then it's all pretty much thrown out the window because hey, nobody really dies, and everyone is someone's favorite character. They even kinda brought Captain Marvel back briefly.

The worst culprit is of course One More Day... Peter Parker gets out of his geeky phase and gets married, only to revert all that because hey, the EIC liked it better when he was single.

I give DC credit for sticking with the changes COIE made for so long... Superman as the only Kryptonian, Wonder Woman having a new origin, the havoc that having no Superboy put upon the Legion, Barry Allen died and Wally West having to take his place. They kept it up for so long only to slowly but surely throw it all away, until it became such a mess that hey, they needed to reboot it and then hey, reboot it again and again and again.

As far as the shocking stuff in Spider-man: I at least give Marvel some amount of credit that that's an event that was decided by a writer who seeded it pretty well, and not editorially driven like most of DC's changes. Although I have no idea what happened in Death of the Family.
Old 02-13-13, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

They have to do shocking stuff to get the middle aged, lapsed readers to start buying again.

I don't go to the comic shop anymore or buy comics, but somehow I still hear about BIG EVENTS like Hulk turning red, Captain America dying, Batman dying, Spider-man divorced and dying, and sometimes it compels me to check out this forum, or CBR. But for me, not enough to buy these comics.

The only one I regretted was Batman RIP and REBORN. Those were actually good stories. I probably would have checked out RIP if it wasn't advertised at a 32 issue event.
Old 02-13-13, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
They have to do shocking stuff to get the middle aged, lapsed readers to start buying again.

I don't go to the comic shop anymore or buy comics, but somehow I still hear about BIG EVENTS like Hulk turning red, Captain America dying, Batman dying, Spider-man divorced and dying, and sometimes it compels me to check out this forum, or CBR. But for me, not enough to buy these comics.
Yeah, I'm the say way. Don't buy and rarely go into comic stores anymore but I read about them still. Only thing that gets me buying is when Claremont comes back to X-Men and I end up disappointed.
Old 02-13-13, 08:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I have been reading about some recent developments in DC, specifically Batman: Death of the Family, and I have to say that I think it's just another example of what's wrong with comics nowadays. Like Amazing Spider-Man #700, they seem to think that doing drastic and shocking stuff is the only way to maintain interest.
This seems to contradict what you're saying, since rumors are that Snyder WANTED to make some drastic changes to the Batman mythos with Death (like killing Alfred or Damien), but DC shot him down, which is why the arc ended so anticlimactically.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.