Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

DC UNIVERSE Reboots in September, Same Day Digital Linewide

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-11, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: DC UNIVERSE Reboots in September, Same Day Digital Linewide

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
One of the dilemmas is the wait-for-the-trade culture. I understand the appeal for readers and why the publishers are so keen to put collected editions into circulation, but it has a detrimental effect on monthly sales--and back issues. While the publishers obviously don't get anything out of back issue sales, they do keep LCSes in business. That's always been the most unique element of the comics industry; the way that sales of older inventory can actually be more profitable than when the merchandise was new.
Trades keep them in Borders/B&N and thus keep them in business.

I honestly think it's time to give up on the LCS and work out something with Amazon. I'd gladly set up a monthly subscription with Amazon, with a subscription discount of course. Sure they're not going to be able to stick Amazon with stock like they do with the LCS but opens their distribution ability up greatly.
Old 07-02-11, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,884 Posts

Originally Posted by boredsilly
1. I see this argument time and time again, and it baffles me every time. Do people think DC (and Marvel, and everyone else) don't want there books in ever super market and newstand across the country? Of course they would love that, but what people forget is that the direct market was created, in part, because the newstand stopped wanting comics. Not the other way around. You may see comics in a 7-11 here, and a Supermarket there, but the days when you could find them everywhere are gone. And yes, I see Archie in Wal-Marts and Supermarkets all the time, but from what I've come to understand that publisher has a grandfather deal with a lot of those places which is why it's still carried.

2. Glossy paper isn't why comics are expensive. Going to old newsprint, from what I've learned, could actually be more expensive to use than glossy in some instances. I'm not 100% up on this, but Chris from the 11 O'Clock Comics podcast works in printing, and talked about this a while ago. Apparently flat matte paper, because of economies of scale, would cost more to use since it's not used by a lot of printers, compared to the glossy stuff everyone does. Something along those lines. And digital coloring, because it speeds up the process, makes comics cheaper than they would be if the coloring was done by hand.
[...]
I have concerns and doubts about all of this stuff too. Hell, I think this whole effort would be better served if it was focused on Vertigo instead of DC. I think Vertigo books are a much better gateway to the 20-something iPad owner, than a redesigned Superman relaunch, but I'm still really hopeful that this will work. And DC, in my eyes, has big balls to do something this major, when they could have just rested on their laurels for a few more years in a decaying direct market.
QFT.

The problem with getting comics back into the neighborhood drug store is that 1) the neighborhood drugstore doesn't exist anymore, and 2) grocery stores don't want to deal with comic books.

There's a lot of nostalgia at play here; it's a different world today than it was in the 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s. Mass retailers don't want to deal with comic books, and I don't think enough kids today would be interested in reading comic books to keep such a scheme afloat. You know why kids read comic books in the 60s? Because they didn't have X-Boxes, Playstations, the Cartoon Network, and the Disney Channel. Comic books were cheap, disposable entertainment for kids who had little money and fewer entertainment options. The world has moved on.

Never mind that the entire magazine industry is currently in shit-poor shape.

And going back to newsprint isn't going to change anything. I've also heard that newsprint would actually increase printing costs because nobody uses it anymore. And very little of the cover price of a comic book actually goes to printing costs -- saving a few pennies per unit isn't going to decrease the cover price in any meaningful way. That $2.99 comic book was sold to your retailer for about $1.50; the company sold it to the distributor for about $1.25. And out of that $1.25, you have to pay the writer, penciler, inker, colorist, letterer, editor, office overhead, and printer -- and make a profit on top of that. The printing cost is only one small part of the equation.
Old 07-02-11, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

One of the dilemmas is the wait-for-the-trade culture. I understand the appeal for readers and why the publishers are so keen to put collected editions into circulation, but it has a detrimental effect on monthly sales--and back issues. While the publishers obviously don't get anything out of back issue sales, they do keep LCSes in business. That's always been the most unique element of the comics industry; the way that sales of older inventory can actually be more profitable than when the merchandise was new.
Back issues haven't been a viable revenue stream for a long time.

The problem is that the comic book companies have been in business for decades and have been pumping out hundreds of books a month. It becomes a mathematical problem in that there's no way for a store with limited floor space to keep a collection of back issues. A store with, maybe five hundred feet of floor space can only house so much merchandise and most of the stuff that fills back issue bins turns slowly, so you're wasting a lot of valuable real estate on a low profit generator. So getting a bigger store to keep the ever-growing backstock is not an option.

And eBay probably killed off what little profit back issues had for most stores.

It's also nearly impossible for a small business to cherry pick a good selection of desirable backstock. Most of the stuff in those tattered white longboxes is the stuff that didn't sell in the first place.

Look at two of the biggest franchises, Batman and X-Men. Marvel and DC have flooded the market with so many X-Men and Batman books the past couple of decades that it's basically impossible for a new reader to simply jump in and start collecting. So new readers aren't coming in any meaningful way, and the trend we've seen in the sales indicates that older readers are leaving their once favorite franchises behind. Why should any retailer bother trying to stock back issues of those books when they are spread over so many titles of miniseries, one-shots, and ongoings?
Old 07-02-11, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
Trades keep them in Borders/B&N and thus keep them in business.
Oh, I get why it's the standard model. I think making it the standard was a mistake, and my suggestion wasn't to quit publishing collected editions but rather to quit publishing monthlies. Instead of publishing a large story in serial format for 12 months, just publish it as a single volume. If trades are what's selling, then maybe it's time to give up on the monthlies for a lot of titles.

I honestly think it's time to give up on the LCS and work out something with Amazon. I'd gladly set up a monthly subscription with Amazon, with a subscription discount of course. Sure they're not going to be able to stick Amazon with stock like they do with the LCS but opens their distribution ability up greatly.
I wouldn't go so far as to give up on LCSs, but I definitely agree about Amazon.

Also, you know what would be an easy thing to do? Put an actual ad for DC Comics inside the DVDs of DC-based movies. A kid asks for Batman: Gotham Knight. When he opens the case, there should be a flier staring him in the face promoting Batman comic books, a subscription ordering form and information encouraging him to find his nearest LCS. How hard is that? And how much exposure would it be? My guesses are "not very" and "quite a lot."

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Back issues haven't been a viable revenue stream for a long time.
True, but it's worth noting that the proliferation of trade paperback collected editions are what made that the case. When I got into reading, only the best-selling stories were collected. Now, just about everything is, and it's published so soon after the monthlies have told the story that they've created the "wait-for-the-trade" culture that ignores monthlies entirely. If no one is buying new singles, why would they possibly by old singles? The reason we used to have to buy old singles in the first place was to be able to read the story content because there was often no other way to do it.

The problem is that the comic book companies have been in business for decades and have been pumping out hundreds of books a month. It becomes a mathematical problem in that there's no way for a store with limited floor space to keep a collection of back issues.
"Every gambler knows that the secret to survival/is knowin' what to throw away/and knowin' what to keep."

And eBay probably killed off what little profit back issues had for most stores.
Here is where we see a flaw in the response to the market. My favorite LCS generally priced back issues a quarter over cover price when the next issue was published, unless for some reason that issue became hot in which case the back issue price would rise accordingly. When I've gone in there this year, it seems most of those back issue stickers haven't changed since the month they became back issues.

The store has already sunk its money into the issues. How does it make sense to maintain prices higher than what eBay sellers are asking--and getting? If the equilibrium market price drops, then it should drop. I think too many LCS owners become convinced that they have to get "at least" that quarter over cover to justify having housed it for so long. It seems to me they'd be much better off moving merchandise more quickly. Not only do they then at least get something for it, but they'll keep the back issue boxes rotating more quickly, which is likelier to make those regulars who do browse to feel a more compelling sense of urgency if they see something they like. It may be gone the next time they visit.

It's also nearly impossible for a small business to cherry pick a good selection of desirable backstock. Most of the stuff in those tattered white longboxes is the stuff that didn't sell in the first place.
True. But I would posit that the wait-for-the-trade culture created by the publishers has a lot to do with this (as already argued), as well as the LCS owners' unwillingness to respond to the market price established via eBay. Which really bugs me because for quite a long time, many LCS owners deferred to Overstreet or Wizard to set the market price of back issues. Why would they not make a stronger effort to stay abreast eBay sale prices, which are not hypothetical, but actual real time market prices?

...new readers aren't coming in any meaningful way, and the trend we've seen in the sales indicates that older readers are leaving their once favorite franchises behind. Why should any retailer bother trying to stock back issues of those books when they are spread over so many titles of miniseries, one-shots, and ongoings?
At this point, I think the better question is what does an LCS do with what they already have? I think there's still the chance to move that stuff, but the owners have to accept they're not going to get the quarter-over-cover that was their pricing scheme 20 years ago.

You know why kids read comic books in the 60s? Because they didn't have X-Boxes, Playstations, the Cartoon Network, and the Disney Channel. Comic books were cheap, disposable entertainment for kids who had little money and fewer entertainment options. The world has moved on.
It wasn't just lack of alternatives that led to comic readership in days of yore. What is overlooked is how reading of any medium is down and it's not just among children. Kids grow up not just without knowing other kids who read stuff, but without even knowing adults who read. Literacy for some exists only so far as what is required of them in school, and whatever they need to participate in Facebook. That's pretty much it. Kids still love comic book stories; they just don't want to have to actually read them.

I found this out a few years ago when I got my nephew some comics for Christmas based on Teen Titans and Justice League Unlimited. He loved the shows, but to this day has refused to even look inside the cover of either comic. If I press him hard enough, he'll admit he just doesn't want to have to read. I can't tell you how foreign that is to me, that someone would actively resist reading that much, even of something they know they like. I don't know what to even do about it. In that case, he was already enabled in his "reading is the devil" mindset by my sister-in-law years before I even met my wife, so I never had a chance to influence him.

Before I wrote off the future entirely, though, a few weeks ago I was at my LCS and there was a guy there browsing with his son. They were pilfering the sale boxes, and the dad told his son to grab anything he wanted. I heard them talk, and the son was telling his dad which issues they did or didn't have, and what he wanted to read because the cover looked good, that kind of thing. The kid must have been about seven or eight. It warmed my little geek heart.
Old 07-02-11, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I found this out a few years ago when I got my nephew some comics for Christmas based on Teen Titans and Justice League Unlimited. He loved the shows, but to this day has refused to even look inside the cover of either comic. If I press him hard enough, he'll admit he just doesn't want to have to read. I can't tell you how foreign that is to me, that someone would actively resist reading that much, even of something they know they like. I don't know what to even do about it. In that case, he was already enabled in his "reading is the devil" mindset by my sister-in-law years before I even met my wife, so I never had a chance to influence him.
I started reading comics because of the 1989 Batman movie and because of Amazing Spider-man #315 that featured Venom.

There was no Batman or Spider-man cartoon. So the only way to explore this fantasy world of those two characters was to buy their comic books. Had their been an animated series for those two at the time, I might not have stuck with the comics as much.

Comic books need to offer something that other mediums don't. Kids can get their Batman and Spider-man fix from the Disney channel or Cartoon Network.

The only mainstream comic type format that I'm actually a little interested in is Shonen Jump and stuff like that. It's roughly the same price or a little higher and it's in black and white but it seems like it's more bang for the buck. TIME, GQ, National Geographic, Archie, Shonen Jump, Simpsons Magazine, these all offer me ALOT more than DC and Marvel.
Old 07-05-11, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

The New 52:

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/dcnu...fo-110701.html

MinLShaw makes a lot of good points. I've gotten my GF reading some comics. I used Dark Tower as a gateway since she likes the book. However her 10 year old son, who will watch comic movies and cartoon all day, wont touch the comics. We even picked up a big stack of 10 cent comics at Heroes Con, but there is very little interest. However he will show some interest in my trade collection. With that said, as much as I like floppies, I think I would prefer everything switching to OGN. That way you have have complete stories, and issue numbering is not a problem for either side.

Last edited by stingermck; 07-05-11 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-05-11, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by stingermck
* Why not call it a reboot?

It's not a reboot. A reboot is typically a restart of the story or character that jettisons away everything that happened previously.

This is a new beginning which builds off the best of the past. For the stories launching as new #1s in September, we have carefully hand-selected the most powerful and pertinent moments in these characters' lives and stories to remain in the mythology and lore. And then we've asked the best creators in the industry to modernize, update and enhance the books with new and exciting tales. The result is that we retained the good stuff, and then make it better.

* Does The New 52 undo events or continuity that I've been reading?

Some yes, some no. But many of the great stories remain. For example - Batgirl. The Killing Joke still happened and she was Oracle. Now she will go through physical rehabilitation and become a more seasoned and nuanced character because she had these incredible and diverse experiences.
You know what this whole thing is? It's Star Trek (2009). "No, it's not a reboot; it's a new beginning." What makes what DC is doing different, of course, is that DC is affecting every single character it owns all at once, and their writers and artists have to live with these changes for the foreseeable future. Conversely, Paramount isn't actively producing a single Star Trek TV show or any other official content. By the time next year's movie comes out, it'll have been three years since the "new beginning," with nothing else taking place between films. Comics readers aren't going to have that kind of down time between this "launch" and the next story. They're going to have 30 days. And then another story 30 days after that, ad inifinitum.

I really do wish them well with this, but it seems every official statement I read just makes this seem even more of a half-baked act of confused desperation. Barbara Gordon has never been as popular with readers as Batgirl as she has been as Oracle (particularly since Gail Simone got hold of her). Why tamper with that investment? Because Barbara is the familiar alter ego of Batgirl to the lay public? That might be a satisfactory marketing reason, but it's still a bad storytelling reason.

You know, looking back I think the boldest thing DC may have ever done was when they killed Superman. I'm not talking about the death itself, mind you. I'm talking about those three entire months after "Funeral for a Friend" where not one of the ongoing Superman titles was published. There were a few one-shots (The Legacy of Superman, Supergirl and Team Luthor, I think Superman Gallery came out during that time, too), but not one of the four primary titles published a single issue. Remember, this was at a time when the Superman comics were so tightly organized they had the triangle numbers on each cover to let you know where an issue fit in that entire year's worth of Superman storytelling. That's twelve missing triangle numbers, for all intents and purposes.

It gave us readers a chance to digest what had happened, and to build anticipation for what would come next. And I can say, The Adventures of Superman #500 wasn't at all what I thought it would be. I kept turning each page, expecting a clear reveal of how Superman's return would be explained and it kept not coming. I remember finishing it and thinking, "Wow, three months of nothing and then this ambiguity?!" I can't imagine today's editorial leadership having the guts to put forth that kind of scheme.
Old 07-05-11, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Also, it seems that at least one of my previous criticisms has (finally) been addressed. Earlier in this thread I wrote:

Also, you know what would be an easy thing to do? Put an actual ad for DC Comics inside the DVDs of DC-based movies. A kid asks for Batman: Gotham Knight. When he opens the case, there should be a flier staring him in the face promoting Batman comic books, a subscription ordering form and information encouraging him to find his nearest LCS. How hard is that? And how much exposure would it be? My guesses are "not very" and "quite a lot."
And in the Newsarama piece linked by stingermck, we find:

Related marketing content and promotional information will be packaged and highlighted in millions of Warner Home Video DVDs will be going out 4th quarter.
It makes sense to wait until the new continuity debuts to begin this new promotional strategy, but I'd still love to hear why it's taken them so long to do this at all. Regardless, I'm glad to hear this is finally happening.
Old 07-05-11, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I really do wish them well with this, but it seems every official statement I read just makes this seem even more of a half-baked act of confused desperation. Barbara Gordon has never been as popular with readers as Batgirl as she has been as Oracle (particularly since Gail Simone got hold of her).
I think they just want to reestablish Bat-girl. Batgirl is a better trademark, IMO, than Oracle. And the previous Batgirls aren't that popular so they figure getting the original there will somehow enhance the character. I'm fine with it, but not fine that The Killing Joke is still canon.

It gave us readers a chance to digest what had happened, and to build anticipation for what would come next. And I can say, The Adventures of Superman #500 wasn't at all what I thought it would be. I kept turning each page, expecting a clear reveal of how Superman's return would be explained and it kept not coming. I remember finishing it and thinking, "Wow, three months of nothing and then this ambiguity?!" I can't imagine today's editorial leadership having the guts to put forth that kind of scheme.
I thought the first story in #500 was pretty good but the rest was so-so. Then again, looking back I wasn't a big fan of that revamp. The stories were good, but I didn't like Kryptonian technology, the backstory or the scaling back of his supporting cast.
Old 07-05-11, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I have read just about everything on this reboot, and it is a reboot for all intents and purposes. It is the closest thing we will ever get to Crisis On Infinite Earths: Part 2, but DC Comics does not want to say that publicly for fear of alienating the tradition-minded readers left who make up most of the monthly buyers. Basically any character that was not meeting sales expectations is getting rebooted, including Superman.

As for the switch back to Batgirl, Warner Bros. just can't sell Oracle-branded merchandise like it can for the real Barbara Gordon version of Batgirl. This reboot is as much about appealing to female readers as anything, notice the supposed edict now at DC about scanty female costumes and the "no skirts" rule. That is a clear move to try and move comic books into the norms of mainstream entertainment and out of the adolescent male fantasy world it has been in since inception.

It is a bold gamble, because it is very possible that comic books just can't compete in a modern information environment where the nature of entertainment has fundamentally changed. DC may lose the few readers it has left, for some mythical future replacement reader that does not exist.
Old 07-05-11, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I have read just about everything on this reboot, and it is a reboot for all intents and purposes. It is the closest thing we will ever get to Crisis On Infinite Earths: Part 2, but DC Comics does not want to say that publicly for fear of alienating the tradition-minded readers left who make up most of the monthly buyers. Basically any character that was not meeting sales expectations is getting rebooted, including Superman.

As for the switch back to Batgirl, Warner Bros. just can't sell Oracle-branded merchandise like it can for the real Barbara Gordon version of Batgirl. This reboot is as much about appealing to female readers as anything, notice the supposed edict now at DC about scanty female costumes and the "no skirts" rule. That is a clear move to try and move comic books into the norms of mainstream entertainment and out of the adolescent male fantasy world it has been in since inception.

It is a bold gamble, because it is very possible that comic books just can't compete in a modern information environment where the nature of entertainment has fundamentally changed. DC may lose the few readers it has left, for some mythical future replacement reader that does not exist.
Strange that I agree with most of what you said but I'm firmly in the "not a reboot camp"

They want it to be a reboot for the general public but they want it to be anything but a reboot to the people that are currently buying their books.

These "future readers" do not exist in my opinion. There are very few kids begging their parents to take them to comic book stores. When I make a trip to Borders/B&N I'm always the only person looking at the trades, there may be some younger kids looking at the manga stuff but even that is rare.

Hell I don't even think digital is going to save them or even prolong there demise.
Old 07-05-11, 11:27 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Does anyone actually want these? As a life-long DC fan who's pretty much collecting only TPBs at this point, I have lost total interest in anything cutting edge.

I do hope this doesn't prevent DC from releasing compendiums and TPBs of recent storylines such as Darkest Night, etc.
Old 07-06-11, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
Strange that I agree with most of what you said but I'm firmly in the "not a reboot camp"

They want it to be a reboot for the general public but they want it to be anything but a reboot to the people that are currently buying their books.
It is a reboot in my opinion because the entire DC universe pivots around Superman, who is once again going to be the first superhero. That is a huge change to the post-Crisis history that had been built up over the last three decades. DC is trying to snuff out the remnants of Earth 2 in the new universe, eliminating the JSA as we knew them.
Old 07-06-11, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
Does anyone actually want these? As a life-long DC fan who's pretty much collecting only TPBs at this point, I have lost total interest in anything cutting edge.

I do hope this doesn't prevent DC from releasing compendiums and TPBs of recent storylines such as Darkest Night, etc.
Lets see. Looking at the full list of books, I would say I'm at least interested in half of the titles. Maybe a little less than half, for various reasons. I'm only super-interested in maybe 10 books, but then I've never really read more than that at any given time from any given publisher, so that's about right for me.
Old 07-06-11, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

DCBS has a special this month where you can order all 52 books for $80 or half off. Thinking why not, I added the whole thing to my cart.
Old 07-06-11, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

DCBS has a special this month where you can order all 52 books for $80 or half off. Thinking why not, I added the whole thing to my cart.
Extrapolate that to a year, $960/year to keep up with the DCNu with DCBS! (I know not all those titles will flourish, but DC will roll out other titles to make up the 80 or se titles they were publishing before the second or third coming of the DC Universe.
Old 07-06-11, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't want anything close to all 52 of the books but that's a great deal for those that do or want a good portion of them.
Old 07-06-11, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm kinda interested. I've always found it kind of daunting to keep up with all the books and characters, and usually cherry-pick (via trade paperbacks) the stories I want. I'm actually thinking about picking up a few of these new books (probably GL, Batman, Superman and JLA) monthly and see how they are.
Old 07-06-11, 01:13 PM
Banned

The cover to Batgirl #2 has been revealed, and she looks like she is getting de-aged to a teenager.

http://www.comicvine.com/news/adam-h...-cover/143299/

Old 07-06-11, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
The cover to Batgirl #2 has been revealed, and she looks like she is getting de-aged to a teenager.
Im going to chalk that up to Adam Hughes style until I read otherwise.
Old 07-06-11, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
She looks like Amy Pond.
Old 07-06-11, 03:49 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

If they are reviewed well and there are good stories I will definitely pick up a TPB or two sometime down the line. I know there are a lot of people like me who've pretty much given up on single-issue collecting.
After a while I decided I just couldn't afford it, keep up, and got pissed there were so many crossovers.
Old 07-06-11, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

She looks like Amy Pond.
That's is some serious fantasy fuel right there.
Old 07-08-11, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boredsilly
That's is some serious fantasy fuel right there.
Old 07-11-11, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I went back to my DCBS order, and went through each DC title to see which one I was actually interested in. 39, which was mostly titles i'm reading before the relaunch anyway. So I applaud DCBS for having the all you can eat option, but i'd rather save some money and see which titles are still standing 6 months later.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.