Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Comic Conventions

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-15, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 604 Likes on 349 Posts
Re: Comic Conventions

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
How is that one? I almost went a few years back but completely forgot when the weekend actually hit. I've been routinely missing it since. I assumed it's a bit like Frank & Sons in Rowland Heights.
If your interest is comics, then it's good. It's not huge, but it's expanded into a second room. Many of the dealers you see at ComicCon are there, and a number of local dealers go too. I haven't been to Frank & Sons so I can't compare 'em. Pics from last year are here so you can get an idea of it.
Old 01-26-15, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks. If I can remember, I'll try to go next year. Maybe.
Old 01-26-15, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll try to post the details earlier next year. It's usually the last (or 4th?) Sunday of January. Thereabouts.
Old 02-26-15, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts

How does one (me) found out if anything is coming up in Orlando?
Old 02-26-15, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

http://www.conventionscene.com/sched...okconventions/
Old 02-26-15, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
Rob Paulsen is a super great guy. I performed at the Riot LA festival last month and he was part of a live podcast for "The Legends of Voice Over Acting" which was really great. He stuck around for my show after and came up to me and had really nice things to say about my set, totally great guy.
I thought he died during a Project Mayhem run?
Old 02-26-15, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Megacon happens in Orlando in April.

http://megaconvention.com/

I think I'm going down to Planet Comic Con in KC for a day next month. Stan Sakai is there and I would love to get my Fantagraphics Usagi Yojimbo omnibus signed, as well as a quick sketch in my sketchbook if he's still doing them.
Old 02-26-15, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Megacon happens in Orlando in April.

http://megaconvention.com/

I think I'm going down to Planet Comic Con in KC for a day next month. Stan Sakai is there and I would love to get my Fantagraphics Usagi Yojimbo omnibus signed, as well as a quick sketch in my sketchbook if he's still doing them.
That reminds me of the struggles his wife was going through. I guess she passed away a few months ago.
Old 02-26-15, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, that was pretty sad. I do have a slight worry he might do something like retire given that, so I don't want to pass up an opportunity to see him.
Old 06-24-15, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Anyone going to San Diego Comic Con this year? Will be going for the first time this year (2 weeks to go!) and would appreciate any tips.
Old 06-24-15, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by sinned
Anyone going to San Diego Comic Con this year? Will be going for the first time this year (2 weeks to go!) and would appreciate any tips.
Wear comfortable shoes and light clothing. It will get hot and humid and you will do a lot of walking. I went in 2011. That was my first time/last time. When I came back home my feet were blistered up. It was cool to do once, though, but I'm over it.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 06-24-15 at 02:37 PM.
Old 06-24-15, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's been 8 years since I've been, so my tips are probably out of date. I would suggest putting some granola bars in your bag to sustain you over the course of the day.
Old 06-24-15, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

I may not go this year, which will be a first in about 10yrs, but I can tell you, be prepared to shuffle, bring backpack with water and eats as they do have food carts but it's too expensive for just snacks you can load up on at the $.99 store.
Wear light clothing. IT WILL BE HOT! both inside and out. There are tons of activities outside all over the Downtown area. Be prepared to stand in long lines and get pushed around for free shit. Adults smash kids for free buttons. No shit!

Overall, just enjoy it. It's a long weekend but it's also an experience. Oh, and make sure to look at all the scheduling so you know where to be and when. Do this starting now. A good place that helps is http://sdccblog.com/
Old 06-25-15, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll be there Friday & Saturday.

Advice-wise, pretty much what everyone has said so far.
Old 06-25-15, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for all the advice. Yes I've been reading up on SDCC but I'm overwhelmed by all the info. Apparently it will be next to impossible to get the SDCC exclusives (I was hoping to get some of the SDCC exclusive Funko Pop figures). Nice thing is that we were able to get a hotel downtown so we can always take a quick break when needed.
Old 07-07-15, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by sinned
Plan out your panels. As in, don't think you can just pop into anything you want to see 5 minutes before it starts. Give each one at least an hour. If it's something in Hall H or Ballroom 20, get on line the night before. Not kidding about this.

There's something called the "Con Suite" at the Hyatt. Used to be the Marriott, but that's under construction. What is it? A room with all the sodas and light snacks you want, all free with your badge. Very few people know about this, instead opting to pay $6 at the Convention Center for a can of Coke.

Don't be swayed by the big exhibits on the main floor. Look for the smaller, independent publishers. There's a lot of great stuff at those tables, no lines, and you can talk with the authors/artists.
Old 01-03-16, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I said I'd try to remember to post this earlier this year, so here it is! The CalComicCon in Yorba Linda, CA is Sunday, 31JAN16. This is a small COMIC-based con that's mostly ... COMICS! I won't be going this year due to lack of funds and working that day.

Here's a link to their site for anyone interested: http://www.calcomiccon.com/
Old 01-31-16, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like I'm not going to the Yorba Linda show today. Rain kinda screwed up my plans. I may hit a closer show in Claremont instead toward the end of the day.
Old 01-23-17, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bronkster
I said I'd try to remember to post this earlier this year, so here it is! The CalComicCon in Yorba Linda, CA is Sunday, 31JAN16. This is a small COMIC-based con that's mostly ... COMICS! I won't be going this year due to lack of funds and working that day.

Here's a link to their site for anyone interested: http://www.calcomiccon.com/
Okay, everything about the old post is the same except the date. It's this Sunday, the 29th! I plan on being there.
Old 01-24-17, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I've only been to two comic cons (Baltimore and Harrisburg), and was frustrated at both that the majority of comic book dealers had longbox after longbox of back issues in no particular order. Is this typical? I had no desire to wade through unalphabetized titles in search of the handful of issues I might be interested in buying. So I'm curious if this is the norm, or if most dealers keep their stock in order.
Old 01-24-17, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

I've seen a lot of trade paperback dealers with unorganized longboxes, but I don't think I've seen many dealers with floppies stored this way, unless they were marked as bargin bin stuff.
Old 01-24-17, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
I've only been to two comic cons (Baltimore and Harrisburg), and was frustrated at both that the majority of comic book dealers had longbox after longbox of back issues in no particular order. Is this typical? I had no desire to wade through unalphabetized titles in search of the handful of issues I might be interested in buying. So I'm curious if this is the norm, or if most dealers keep their stock in order.
Discount bins (.50¢ to $1 bins) are generally out of order. If a dealer buys a collection, he'll dig through for the key issues then dump the rest randomly into the bins. It encourages most to dig for good deals or complete runs at a cheap price.

Higher prices books (key issues or NM copies) are generally in order.
Old 01-24-17, 04:07 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I'm not a fan of the unorganized dollar bins, but I understand dealers not wanting to waste manpower organizing them. I wish they'd at least separate them by company.
Old 01-25-17, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I'm not a fan of the unorganized dollar bins, but I understand dealers not wanting to waste manpower organizing them. I wish they'd at least separate them by company.
I don't prefer flipping through unorganized boxes but it does increase the chances in finding a gem that the dealer has overlooked.
Old 01-25-17, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Put me in the camp of people that dislike flipping through unorganized boxes. Especially at a convention, when I am most likely only there for several hours of a single day. what makes it even worse, is when the boxes are packed so tight that you can hardly see what the books are without pulling out a big stack. I just don't have the patience for that. At least organize stuff by title, or even character.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (06-23-21)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.