Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Comic Conventions

Old 07-12-23, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts
Re: Comic Conventions

I concur, $25 is a reasonable price for a single day ticket.

Some of my local cons are below $20, but they are small compared to the ďfamousĒ ones.

Last time I paid $25 (for a large con) was WonderCon in 2009.
Old 07-12-23, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,873 Posts

I don't think tickets for major events of any kind -- cons, concerts, sporting events -- are priced below $20-$25 these days.
Old 07-12-23, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,148 Likes on 898 Posts

The con Iím going to on Saturday is $50 admission. Times two for me since Iím going with my fiancťe.

Itíll be my first convention though. Not a super major one as Iím in South Dakota and we donít get a lot of big things but there are some decent names in attendance for signings.

In addition to Ian McDiarmid there will also be Anthony Daniels, Dee Bradley Baker (voice of the Clones on The Clone Wars), Katee Sackhoff, John Rhys-Davies, and more.
Old 07-12-23, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,617 Likes on 2,596 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
The con Iím going to on Saturday is $50 admission. Times two for me since Iím going with my fiancťe.

Itíll be my first convention though. Not a super major one as Iím in South Dakota and we donít get a lot of big things but there are some decent names in attendance for signings.

In addition to Ian McDiarmid there will also be Anthony Daniels, Dee Bradley Baker (voice of the Clones on The Clone Wars), Katee Sackhoff, John Rhys-Davies, and more.
Nice that's great. Hope you have a good time and make the most of it. I know you live in a small state and town, so these kind of opportunities rarely come your way.

I heard Katee Sackhoff is super cool. If you can afford it, you should try to meet her as well.
Old 07-13-23, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
Nice that's great. Hope you have a good time and make the most of it. I know you live in a small state and town, so these kind of opportunities rarely come your way.

I heard Katee Sackhoff is super cool. If you can afford it, you should try to meet her as well.
Thanks DJariya! Yeah, we have a few hours to drive to get to it but I think itíll be worth the trip. This particular convention has happened before but the names this year are bigger than in the past (at least that Iíve seen). McDiarmid is really the name who sold me on attending this year.
Old 07-13-23, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,915 Likes on 1,481 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
I concur, $25 is a reasonable price for a single day ticket.

Some of my local cons are below $20, but they are small compared to the ďfamousĒ ones.

Last time I paid $25 (for a large con) was WonderCon in 2009.
I mean it depends on what kind of convention (how big, are there guests, etc.) it is. If it's just a glorified dealers room then 25 bucks is probably a little steep, even in this day and age.
The following users liked this post:
MLBFan24 (07-13-23)
Old 07-13-23, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

The one con I think looks great, but Iíll probably never make it to, are the GalaxyCons that are on the east coast and midwest. The guest lineups for those cons are really impressive.

I heard Katee Sackhoff up charges for autographing SW items (if bringing your own funko pop, for example). I havenít confirmed that, but just a FYI.

Last edited by MLBFan24; 07-13-23 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-13-23, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Thanks DJariya! Yeah, we have a few hours to drive to get to it but I think itíll be worth the trip. This particular convention has happened before but the names this year are bigger than in the past (at least that Iíve seen). McDiarmid is really the name who sold me on attending this year.
Hey I would double check with the Con and see if those actors you mentioned are still showing up. The actors strike was called today and part of the strike rules is they cannot promote anything involving the studios. If they are there to promote Star Wars, they will have to pull out.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bu...73e828aa12daf1

Promotion of/publicity services for work under the TV/Theatrical Contracts, such as:
Ė Tours
Ė Personal appearances
Ė Interviews
Ė Conventions
Ė Fan expos

Ė Festivals
Ė For your consideration events
Ė Panels
Ė Premieres/screenings
Ė Award shows
Ė Junkets
Ė Podcast appearances
Ė Social media
Ė Studio showcases

Old 07-13-23, 05:39 PM

Received 4,546 Likes on 3,084 Posts

Appearances at at those smaller conventions are not these type of contracts. They aren't there under a contract with studio.

My local con said it doesn't affect them.

The following users liked this post:
DJariya (07-13-23)
Old 07-13-23, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Yeah I double checked, they cannot appear in any panels to discuss a show they are working on or a future show they are working on.

I know most of those autograph and photo ops are booked through an independent agency.
Old 07-13-23, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

This SDCC is turning into a small comic con.....
It kinda sucks though for those people who spent all this money on travel, hotel, tickets...
Old 07-14-23, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

This was posted by Galaxy Con, which is in 2 weeks:

Will the SAG-AFTRA strike mean my favorite celeb wonít be able to appear at GalaxyCon events?

Celebrity guests will still be appearing at our events as advertised. The only thing that can potentially be affected is what the guests can discuss. As SAG-AFTRA only affects Theatrical Contracts, members are not permitted to participate in the promotion of/services for work. So while they may not be able to talk about current projects, they can still discuss their personal life, hobbies, background, etc with you! As our celebrities appear under Personal Appearance Contracts, the provision forbidding appearances does not apply to events like GalaxyCon.

Will celebrities be allowed to do photo-ops and sign autographs?

Yes! Since photo ops and autographs are not intended as promotion or endorsement of any works, you can still purchase photos with your favorite celebrities and get items signed!
Old 07-14-23, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah the event Iím going to posted essentially the same statement.

Last edited by Mike86; 07-14-23 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-14-23, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Panel cancellations at SDCC. Most likely more to come. I know most here only pay attention to SDCC passively, but this is pretty amazing that the 1st full year it's open with COVID behind us and it's been downgraded to a small Con now. Just bad timing. I'm curious how IGN will cover it next week. They normally do long 4 hour live streams.

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/com...73e828aa12daf1
Old 07-17-23, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Panel cancellations at SDCC. Most likely more to come. I know most here only pay attention to SDCC passively, but this is pretty amazing that the 1st full year it's open with COVID behind us and it's been downgraded to a small Con now. Just bad timing. I'm curious how IGN will cover it next week. They normally do long 4 hour live streams.

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/com...73e828aa12daf1
Never been to SDCC. I wasn't aware that it is mostly panels. Do they not have vendors selling comics and such? What, then, is on the actual convention floor?
Old 07-17-23, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by jjcool
Never been to SDCC. I wasn't aware that it is mostly panels. Do they not have vendors selling comics and such? What, then, is on the actual convention floor?
They do have a huge floor that sells comics, toys, collectibles and other merch. But, SDCC has evolved in the last decade into a pop culture con, not just for comics. The studios use it to promote movies and television.
Old 07-18-23, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They do have a huge floor that sells comics, toys, collectibles and other merch. But, SDCC has evolved in the last decade into a pop culture con, not just for comics. The studios use it to promote movies and television.
I get that these big cons have evolved into more than just comics. Your information that the majority of the con was now TV and Movie panels was news to me though.
Old 07-18-23, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk God

I get that these big cons have evolved into more than just comics. Your information that the majority of the con was now TV and Movie panels was news to me though.
Yes, the vast majority who attend SDCC want to see TV and Movie Panels and they dominate discussion. Hall H was usually the panel room that had all the big announcements during that weekend. Hundreds line up and sleep overnight just to get in to that room.
Old 07-19-23, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes, the vast majority who attend SDCC want to see TV and Movie Panels and they dominate discussion. Hall H was usually the panel room that had all the big announcements during that weekend. Hundreds line up and sleep overnight just to get in to that room.
I knew that some folks camped out for the panels. Just never knew that that was all that SDCC was. From your description, it seems if you take away the panels, there isn't much left to it.
Old 07-19-23, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

I knew that some folks camped out for the panels. Just never knew that that was all that SDCC was. From your description, it seems if you take away the panels, there isn't much left to it.
There is still a huge convention floor if you want to look at comics, toys, games, etc.
Old 07-19-23, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 446 Likes on 304 Posts

There are plenty of non-TV and Movie panels also, as well as other activities like Masquerade and off-site activities.
Old 07-20-23, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Today is Day 1 of Comic Con. Even though there's almost no TV and movie presence this year, looks like crowds are back.

Old 07-20-23, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Obi-Wanma
There is still a huge convention floor if you want to look at comics, toys, games, etc.
Originally Posted by TheBang
There are plenty of non-TV and Movie panels also, as well as other activities like Masquerade and off-site activities.
That's what I thought. Didn't think it was going to be a "small con" even without panels.
Old 07-20-23, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk God

SDCC is probably the biggest con in the whole U.S. I never said it was a "small con" without the TV and movie studio presence. I was just trying to say that those panels dominate the discussion and news for the weekend. There are a lot of comic book writers and animated movies/TV being plugged. I didn't mean to say that without the studios it's small.

SDCC basically takes over SD and the Gaslamp district the entire weekend. You probably need hundreds, if not thousands of dollars if you plan to stay and truly enjoy the experience. Not too many can afford going there. I've never been there because it's almost impossible since tickets are sold like a lottery. I have friends who have been there and from what they've told (COVID years aside), it's a madhouse. I have been to Wonder Con in Anaheim, which is the sister con and presented by the same company.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-20-23 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-20-23, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,915 Likes on 1,481 Posts

I do think if you announced a year ago that there would be no participation from any actors/writers, the crowds would have been a bit less (maybe not since they always sell out and they seem to do a better job of controlling how many tickets they sell than, say, Anime Expo). But by the time this strike came around the tickets were long ago sold, preparations made, etc. so I'd think the main impact is the crowd being redistributed around the Con instead of all those people lining up around Hall H.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.