DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Comic Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk-57/)
-   -   Best monthly comic service? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk/583658-best-monthly-comic-service.html)

kvrdave 12-20-10 03:44 PM

Best monthly comic service?

Way back in the damned 90s (in college) I used some service that I no longer remember. They sent me a monthly catalog and I put down what I wanted. Got a decent discount off the cover price and they all shipped at once. I seem to remember reading a lot of Valiant titles at the time. :lol:

Is there a similar service to this that you guys use? I've seen one that I happened across (forget the name), but wading through all the crap was too much of a chore just to find the few comics I wanted, and the discount was crapola.

fujishig 12-20-10 03:47 PM

Re: Best monthly comic service?

See the DCBS thread above (I personally use mailordercomics.com or whatever they call themselves now, and highly recommend them, but I know most people here seem to use DCBS). Both give good discounts, but you must preorder everything two months in advance through the Previews catalog. You can choose how often they ship stuff to you but you obviously pay more if you want more shipments, and you should make sure you're really going to order enough that the discount more than offsets the shipping.

edited to add: at least with mailordercomics, you must meet a certain threshold each month if you want the Previews catalog for free, otherwise you have to pay for it if you want it (you can easily do without it as you order through the website, but it's much easier to miss stuff that you're not already on the lookout for).

kvrdave 12-20-10 05:58 PM

Very cool. I'll give them a try. I feel duped by the Marvel Digital online thing. Been enjoying it so damn much that I may have to give them much more of my money rather than wait a few months for the books to come out. :lol:

fujishig 12-20-10 06:17 PM

The problem becomes: when books go to crap, you're stuck with two months of extra issues, since you have to preorder everything. That's usually the trap I get into; then they'll announce a new creative team and I'll hang on for just a little bit longer, but once I catch up I find it's crap again, then they announce a new direction and.... well, I'm a sucker. I buy more comic books now than I did a few years ago because of the convenience of it all... plus I love having a big stack of books to go through.

kvrdave 12-21-10 12:02 AM

:lol: I'm sure I'll do the same. Plus, they are sending me a free catalog to help get me hooked.

Josh-da-man 12-21-10 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 10553892)
The problem becomes: when books go to crap, you're stuck with two months of extra issues, since you have to preorder everything. That's usually the trap I get into; then they'll announce a new creative team and I'll hang on for just a little bit longer, but once I catch up I find it's crap again, then they announce a new direction and.... well, I'm a sucker. I buy more comic books now than I did a few years ago because of the convenience of it all... plus I love having a big stack of books to go through.

True, but you're still getting them at 40% off. So even though you're stuck with two months worth of books you don't like, you still come out ahead when you factor in all of the money you've been saving.

fujishig 12-21-10 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 10554466)
True, but you're still getting them at 40% off. So even though you're stuck with two months worth of books you don't like, you still come out ahead when you factor in all of the money you've been saving.

Well, if not for the 40% off I doubt I'd pick up any of these monthlies. It defrayed the cost of the 3.99 books enough to keep me on when they started raising prices, but I would have dropped pretty much all of them at regular price.

I'm having trouble even reaching the "free Previews" threshold these days, depending on which trades are coming out.

sinned 12-21-10 01:13 PM

What's the minimum order amount at mailordercomics to get a free Previews?

At DCBS, you can order 1 copy of Previews at 75% off which makes the total cost $1.25 a month.

RDR 04-23-11 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 10553698)
See the DCBS thread above (I personally use mailordercomics.com or whatever they call themselves now, and highly recommend them, but I know most people here seem to use DCBS). Both give good discounts, but you must preorder everything two months in advance through the Previews catalog. You can choose how often they ship stuff to you but you obviously pay more if you want more shipments, and you should make sure you're really going to order enough that the discount more than offsets the shipping.

edited to add: at least with mailordercomics, you must meet a certain threshold each month if you want the Previews catalog for free, otherwise you have to pay for it if you want it (you can easily do without it as you order through the website, but it's much easier to miss stuff that you're not already on the lookout for).

I have to second this. I've been with mailordercomics about 3 years now and only have had 2 problems with my order. They got the problems ironed out the same day I emailed them both times. Great customer service plus 40% off works wonders for me :D.