DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Comic Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk-57/)
-   -   Need Help- Zombie series similar to Walking Dead (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk/581919-need-help-zombie-series-similar-walking-dead.html)

SethDLH 11-11-10 02:08 PM

Need Help- Zombie series similar to Walking Dead

I was lurking a thread on the Walking Dead tv show at another board, and can't find it anymore. Anyways, a couple people were talking about another zombie series that was more graphic and gruesome than Walking Dead and was just as good to read. Any ideas what this could be?

Navinabob 11-11-10 03:31 PM

Re: Need Help- Zombie series similar to Walking Dead

Crossed by Garth Ennis is the only thing I know that "might" fit that bill. But it's more 28 Days Later sort of Zombies then Walking Dead

SethDLH 11-11-10 03:40 PM

hmmm that may be it. Either way it looks interesting. Is it any good?

Navinabob 11-11-10 04:13 PM

Hi shock value. I'm talking a mom getting beheaded and her corpse raped by her kids sort of shock.

The horror is ramped up so high that when a person shoots them self you think of it as the person escaping lucky. But because of the sort of horrible state of life from the survivors you actually get bonded to many of the cast members. By the end I was pretty touched by the tender dramatic moments.... I almost felt like I got fooled by Ennis, like he tricked me into focusing to the horror and fear and by the time he slipped in the "drama" it hit like a punch to the gut.

SethDLH 11-11-10 04:31 PM

Sounds like something I'd be into... hmmm that could easily be taken the wrong way hahaha

Anyways, I see that there is only the 1 collection and then the spinoff type thing so it wouldn't be much to catch up on. I'll be checking it out soon, thanks!

DaveCole 11-11-10 06:47 PM

An old favorite that I hear has been rebooted is Deadworld.

Navinabob 11-11-10 10:02 PM

I read the 1st two issues of the spin-off and wasn't impressed (Ennis did not write it)

SethDLH 11-11-10 11:38 PM

Thanks, I'll hit up my local shop and see if they have the main story in then.

davidh777 11-12-10 01:47 AM

I don't know about the gruesomeness, but a series I started and sort of fell behind on is Rotten, a zombie Western. Disclaimer that I know one of the authors.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

The Valeyard 11-12-10 03:23 AM

I was interested in picking up the Rotten GN once it's released. The story sounded interesting.

SethDLH 11-12-10 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by davidh777 (Post 10486446)
I don't know about the gruesomeness, but a series I started and sort of fell behind on is Rotten, a zombie Western. Disclaimer that I know one of the authors.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

Originally Posted by The Valeyard (Post 10486486)
I was interested in picking up the Rotten GN once it's released. The story sounded interesting.

I'll look into that one too, thanks!

I also wait for the GN volumes to get released, I have nowhere to put the single serial releases.

davidh777 11-13-10 12:11 PM

The first Rotten TPB was supposed to be out last summer but got delayed. The floppy schedule has been delayed at times too.

davidh777 01-05-11 12:08 PM

Didn't see the Rotten TPB in my LCS last week, but it appears to be available online now

davidh777 07-09-11 01:00 AM

Just heard that Rotten issues 10 and 11 are bypassing floppy and going straight into the second TPB. Not good news.

The first six issues are 99 cents on Comixology. Can't imagine there's much profit there for an independently published title. But I guess anything is better than nothing right now.

davidh777 03-29-12 07:03 PM

Finally read the first Rotten TPB and thought it was quite good. For a second, I thought I was reading The Walking Dead.

Rex Power Colt-Robot Man 04-06-12 07:33 AM

'68 from Image Comics. Zombies in Vietnam.

PhantomStranger 04-06-12 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Navinabob (Post 10485623)
Crossed by Garth Ennis is the only thing I know that "might" fit that bill. But it's more 28 Days Later sort of Zombies then Walking Dead

This is the series I thought of as the answer. Make sure you have the stomach to handle some of the content, it's quite extreme.