DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Comic Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk-57/)
-   -   June/July/August General Comic Discussion (Summer Break/Convention Season edition) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk/574814-june-july-august-general-comic-discussion-summer-break-convention-season-edition.html)

JasonF 07-11-10 01:59 PM

Re: June/July/August General Comic Discussion (Summer Break/Convention Season edition

Matt Fraction fans: A new issue of Casanova came out this week. Casanova is the best thing Matt Fraction has done in his career. BUY IT!!!!!

Edit: Just to clarify, they are reprinting the original 14 issues of Casanova in full color with new back-ups. The original Casanova was black & white with one color. If you already read Casanova back in the day, I leave it up to you whether it's worth $3.99 to get it again in color with the new backup. If you didn't read Casanova back in the day, you need to buy this comic.

boredsilly 07-22-10 12:29 PM

Re: June/July/August General Comic Discussion (Summer Break/Convention Season edition

I don't know where it came from, but all of the sudden I'm interested in Marvel Cosmic.

fujishig 07-23-10 12:20 PM

What's Marvel Cosmic?

On a side note, I still feel like DC editorial is just dropping the ball on everything these days. I'm just starting on the New Krypton storylines through trades, only to find out that they pretty much just hit a reset button on the last two years of stories in order for JMS to do his storyline. Not only that, the mandate is that Supes is only to star in one book, so Action is now the Lex Luthor show for 10 months.

I'm already dropping Teen Titans, which is still written by that Gossip Girl writer and is beyond terrible, perhaps worse than the Jurgens/psuedo-Titans run. And that's all being reset anyway with the new writer; I swear this book gets reset with a new writer and a brand new roster every 6 months. I dropped Supergirl a while back because they retconned a whole year of (terrible) stories with some bogus Kryptonite poisoning explanation. One of the books I could always count on, JSA, just went through what was essentially an Elseworlds Nazi storyline for what feels like forever... and in order to shoehorn it into the JLA crossover, they wrapped up that storyline with an issue full of exposition. So you have this long arc, carefully building to a crescendo, then walls of text with pretty pictures explaining, not showing, how everything got resolved. And this is the guy that writes Fables, for crying out loud. Don't even get me started on Robinson's JLA, which changes direction in every issue; I haven't even been motivated to read the last issue I got. I think it's time to take a break from everything but Flash, Green Lantern, and my beloved Legion of Super Heroes.

boredsilly 07-23-10 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 10282643)
What's Marvel Cosmic?

Maybe putting that in all caps threw you off. Marvel cosmic is just the section of the Marvel universe stories that happen in space. Nova, Guardians of the Galaxy, the Annihilation series -- all that good stuff. Good stuff that up until recently I had zero interest in.

DC? Yeah man, I just don't know what's going on there. To be fair, I'm not really reading much of anything from DC these days, but that makes me sad since I used to be all over their books. People hate on Marvel, but when I want mainstream that is definitely where I go now. I don't even really bother with DC's stuff these days. DC is still great when it comes to Vertigo, WS, and some of their smaller books, but their big guns? Could not be less interested.

fujishig 07-23-10 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by boredsilly (Post 10282900)
Maybe putting that in all caps threw you off. Marvel cosmic is just the section of the Marvel universe stories that happen in space. Nova, Guardians of the Galaxy, the Annihilation series -- all that good stuff. Good stuff that up until recently I had zero interest in.

That stuff is awesome. I did think the series after Annihilation was a little forced (yet another big bad trying to conquer the universe, so soon after the last?) but I love the way they're building the universe, and especially how they elevated someone like Richard Rider (and now Dark Hawk) and fleshed out the cosmic stuff. What's amazing is that they did it largely without the one mainstay of Marvel Cosmic, the Silver Surfer.

davidh777 07-24-10 11:10 AM

Read Invincible TPB 12--I love this series! I'll probably stick with the TPBs unless they revive the Ultimate HCs, which I really do prefer reading. I just hope I don't get sucked in to the floppies. :)

dadaluholla 07-24-10 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777 (Post 10284333)
Read Invincible TPB 12--I love this series! I'll probably stick with the TPBs unless they revive the Ultimate HCs, which I really do prefer reading. I just hope I don't get sucked in to the floppies. :)

What, are they not going to do a 6th Ultimate hardcover?

boredsilly 07-24-10 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777 (Post 10284333)

I really need to catch up on that.

davidh777 07-24-10 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by dadaluholla (Post 10284494)
What, are they not going to do a 6th Ultimate hardcover?

I sure hope so, but #5 was delayed from October 2009 to January, then Amazon canceled my order because they weren't going to get it. A little while later I was going to give in and get the equivalent TPBs when I found that they had #5 in stock so I bought it. The fact that TPB 13 comes out in September but there's no pre-order listed for HC6 makes me concerned that they won't continue the HCs. I haven't researched the issue or anything, though.

Originally Posted by boredsilly (Post 10284798)
I really need to catch up on that.

:thumbsup:

davidh777 08-06-10 11:16 PM

To hold me over till the next Invincible TPB, I picked up this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

Not up to the standards of the regular series, but a decent read. Then I picked up this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

Argh, the first half was the same issues as the above TPB! But the Rex series was pretty good, and at least the earlier TPB was only 6 bucks. I suppose I could sell it or something since I don't need it.

dx23 09-02-10 06:53 PM

Can someone explain to me how Frank Castle appears as a normal Punisher human being in the Shadowland series while he is Franken Castle in his title, both set in the same Marvel Universe, at the same time? Doesn't Marvel have any editors? Does the left hand don't know what the right hand is doing?

Rex Power Colt-Robot Man 09-05-10 02:00 AM

There is the Punisher(2009) title that was retitled Franken-Castle and then there is Frank Castle:Punisher or some such nonsense. I do believe that they are separate continuities but I could be mistaken. They've ass-raped that character since Ennis left.

dx23 09-05-10 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by burnside986 (Post 10355831)
There is the Punisher(2009) title that was retitled Franken-Castle and then there is Frank Castle:Punisher or some such nonsense. I do believe that they are separate continuities but I could be mistaken. They've ass-raped that character since Ennis left.

Nope, they are the same continuity. The Shadowlands series is happening in the same continuity/universe/Earth as the Frankencastle one. That's is why I'm surprised that regular Punisher appeared in Shadowlands.

boredsilly 09-07-10 10:35 AM

Comics work on a sliding time scale. Just roll with it.