DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Comic Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk-57/)
-   -   iPad for comics (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk/571840-ipad-comics.html)

Supermallet 03-20-12 05:58 PM

Re: iPad for comics

I've totally converted to digital, except for some of the premium collections being put out now (like the DC Absolutes and Humanoids editions). I do it with full knowledge of the risks.

Adam Tyner 03-20-12 07:17 PM

BTW, Comixology and Marvel have updated apps with even higher resolution versions of some books. Upgrades are free, and you can sample some CMX-HD books like Transhuman #1 for free too. Not a lot of that stuff out there quite yet, though.

Comixology is annoying me with this bug where it keeps telling me an updated version of my comics are available, it'll download 'em, and then I get the same "an updated version..." message when I try to re-read them. It keeps downloading the same files with the same sizes...caught in an endless loop. I only see two other guys on Twitter complaining about this, though, so hopefully it's just a weird fluke.

Supermallet 03-20-12 08:04 PM

I had two or three titles update. No loop for me, thankfully.

fujishig 03-21-12 03:57 AM

Wasteland is on sale at comixology. The first issue (50 pages) is free. What's kinda unique about this sale is that they also have an omnibus... 35 issues for 20 bucks. I knw little about this series but that's really tempting.

majorjoe23 03-22-12 11:48 AM

Walking Dead issue 19 (the first appearance of Michonne) is currently free on Comixology.

Trevor 03-22-12 12:00 PM

Crap, these free comics take up a lot of space, even before the HD conversion. I downloaded pretty much all of the freebies Comixolgy has, over 900 iirc, and it took ~11 gigs. Time to delete most of them....

Supermallet 03-22-12 12:49 PM

900 freebies? :lol:

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend doing that.

fujishig 03-22-12 01:05 PM

Every once in a while comixology will have an update and you'll have to re download everything, so yeah, I wouldn't recommend keeping all the freebies on there... some are just samplers or previews anyway.

How did you download them all, btw?

Trevor 03-22-12 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet (Post 11162194)
900 freebies? :lol:

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend doing that.

I know, I'm silly. Just figured I'd download them all in the background as I was playing around with other things.

And even though many didn't look interesting to me, figured my tastes may change or my step-daughter might want to check them out someday. And in case the freebies sometimes go back up in price, figured I'd lock them in as "owned". Kind of the same philosophy I have with apps. D/L several of the daily freebies, even if I'm unsure I'll use them, just in case...

Trevor 03-22-12 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 11162227)
Every once in a while comixology will have an update and you'll have to re download everything, so yeah, I wouldn't recommend keeping all the freebies on there... some are just samplers or previews anyway.

How did you download them all, btw?

Good to know, thanks.

Just went to the "free comics" page at the bottom of the main page and clicked the "free" button on all of them.

Brewc 03-22-12 10:37 PM

Ok, I download some Walking Dead off Mobilisim.org but they all are epub not cbr like it says, I can read in ibooks but it's about 50% size and can't zoom. anyone know how to get them to cbr to use in Comic Zeal?

fujishig 03-22-12 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 11160166)
Wasteland is on sale at comixology. The first issue (50 pages) is free. What's kinda unique about this sale is that they also have an omnibus... 35 issues for 20 bucks. I knw little about this series but that's really tempting.

Somehow this was showing up at 1.99 for the omnibus. I checked the website and it was only .99. Don't understand what's going on, must be some comixology glitch or something.

Supermallet 03-22-12 11:13 PM

I'm not even seeing this Wasteland omnibus.

fujishig 03-22-12 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet (Post 11163025)
I'm not even seeing this Wasteland omnibus.

I think they took it off. The new sale is a one day 99 cents sale on Fraction's post messiah complex run of uncanny. Not bad.

bluetoast 03-26-12 10:30 PM

So I'm new to Wednesdays on the Comics App. Is it like my LCS where I have to wait until midday or can I buy at midnight tonight? (Actually now that I think of it, there was one store that would put them out on Tuesday nights...that was a nice surprise)

fujishig 03-28-12 12:36 PM

Oh man, a Locke and Key sale... it's one of the books I've always heard great things about but never got around to picking up. Time to go use that 15% off itunes cards coupon at Target...

whotony 07-03-12 07:51 PM

Most if not all the Kindle exclusive graphic novels are now available on Kindle for IPad.