Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

March/April/May General Comic Discussion (Spring Break Edition)

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

March/April/May General Comic Discussion (Spring Break Edition)

Old 04-22-10, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: March/April/May General Comic Discussion (Spring Break Edition)

Originally Posted by boredsilly View Post
I feel like JLA should just sort of happen in it's own bubble. If you take into account what's happening in all of the heroes solo books, it will get weighed down. They should take the Astonishing X-men approach. Understand that these characters have other lives, but they won't be reflected in this book. Sort of the way Superman/Batman used to be.
Waid certainly took that approach with JLA. He pretty much ignored everything else happening in the DCU at the time, and just wrote good stories. I think because he realized that when you looked at the sales numbers, the JLA outselling nearly all the individual titles combined, pretty much showed that since those books didn't have an audience, it didn't matter to keep up to date with strict continuity.

I'm glad to see someone else likes Bendis as much as I do, despite all the hatred he's received from fandom (who, incidently, keep buying EVERY SINGLE ONE OF HIS BOOKS). Powers hooked me early on, and his incredible run on Daredevil is probably one of the best mainline superhero series i've read in the past 15 years. And looking at the history of that book before he jumped aboard, it was nearly a decade of mediocrity. Although I don't like everything he does, I do want to say, he's one of the best writers out there.

My feelings on Avengers Disassembled were really mixed because I felt the whole exercise was just a way to revamp the entire series. But his run on Avengers was one of the best. Even Busiek near the end of his run was beginning to feel very, very, tired. And don't get me started on Johns' run. Heroes Reborn was better than that shit.

If there's one writer that I feel is overrated nowadays, is Geoff Johns. The guy's writing has been very stilted to begin with, and it's only gotten worse over time. He also tries to be very "epic" with his stories, but it always seems to fall flat. He's better with tightly focused stories, and he does sci-fi incredibly well, probably the best i've seen since mid 80's Marvel and DC. He also tries the surrealistic bent that Morrison is renowned for, but just can't pull it off. If anything, the greatest flaw in his writing is that his stories are just plain boring.

As for the JLA, I dropped that book the moment Joe Kelly came aboard. He writes all his characters exactly the same. If it weren't for the costumes and powers, you'd have no idea who was who. Although you can't entirely blame him for how badly that book turned out. The editorial staff were basically turning it into the comic version of the JL cartoon.

I've never liked Brad Meltzer's writing. Identity Crisis was just sadistic and stupidly written, and his JLA is incredibly narcissistic and self-important. I've never seen someone pat themselves on the back so much for their creative "writing" and knowledge of the DCU.

If DC wants to gets our attention again, they might want to stop sidelining all the big guns. The reason why characters like Vixen and Vibe and Gypsy are unpopular is because no one's given us a real reason to care about them, or even bothered to give them a decent mythology (which really, is why people read comics). Instead, they just keep creating or resurrecting obscure characters and expecting us to care about them just because the writer thinks we should.
Old 04-24-10, 12:13 PM
Banned

I've been re-reading a lot of the Marvel big event books for the past couple of days and have a question:

When the hell did the anti-registration superheroes forgive Tony Stark for being an asshole and being the principal figure in the chaos that became their lives? I mean, Iron Man:

1- Was the one that created the Illuminati
2- Sent Hulk to a distant planet
3- Was the one that helped pass the Superhero Registration Act
4- Convinced Spider-Man to reveal his identity, which lead to the shooting of Aunt May
5- Started arresting and persecuting everyone that didn't want to register
6- Help create a Thor clone that killed Bill Foster
7- Indirectly helped in Captain America's assesination
8- Brought to himself the events of World War Hulk
9- Brought to himself the events of the Skrull Invasion

I've been reading the past 5 issues of Invincible Iron Man and Siege and everyone, including Cap and Thor, help bring him back from the dead/coma and then teamed up with him like nothing had happened for the past several years. I would love to see the fallout of all the shit Stark created make his character a pariah in the Marvel Universe, where no one liked him, trusts him and wants to deal with him. The only way readers could feel some sympathy for the character would have been if he lost everything, including his wealth and worked on getting it back.
Old 05-03-10, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Walking Dead #71: This book has returned to my pull lists, and it's gotten amazingly good. The social commentary is back with a vengeance, the storyline is engaging, and the characters are developing a real depth to them. I'm glad he trimmed down the cast, although the prison arc required a large cast of characters. It wasn't going to be running around, hiding from zombies forever, and this storyline is probably what's going to be the coda of the series.
Old 05-03-10, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dx23 View Post
I've been re-reading a lot of the Marvel big event books for the past couple of days and have a question:

When the hell did the anti-registration superheroes forgive Tony Stark for being an asshole and being the principal figure in the chaos that became their lives? I mean, Iron Man:

1- Was the one that created the Illuminati
2- Sent Hulk to a distant planet
3- Was the one that helped pass the Superhero Registration Act
4- Convinced Spider-Man to reveal his identity, which lead to the shooting of Aunt May
5- Started arresting and persecuting everyone that didn't want to register
6- Help create a Thor clone that killed Bill Foster
7- Indirectly helped in Captain America's assesination
8- Brought to himself the events of World War Hulk
9- Brought to himself the events of the Skrull Invasion

I've been reading the past 5 issues of Invincible Iron Man and Siege and everyone, including Cap and Thor, help bring him back from the dead/coma and then teamed up with him like nothing had happened for the past several years. I would love to see the fallout of all the shit Stark created make his character a pariah in the Marvel Universe, where no one liked him, trusts him and wants to deal with him. The only way readers could feel some sympathy for the character would have been if he lost everything, including his wealth and worked on getting it back.
I forget, was part of what he did because he was under Skrull influence? Of course, this is a world where Norman Osbourne got a ton of power because he had the perfect photo op.
Old 05-03-10, 11:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I forget, was part of what he did because he was under Skrull influence? Of course, this is a world where Norman Osbourne got a ton of power because he had the perfect photo op.
Nope. That's would at least redeemed him, but he wasn't a Skrull, wasn't under their influence and the Stark technology is what facilitated the Skrull's Earth invasion.

This pissed me a lot. Tony Stark has been at the center of all the Marvel chaos for the past 6 years. A lot of people should be at odds with him for all his unforgivable actions and yet, everything is going back to normal after Siege.
Old 05-03-10, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dx23 View Post
Nope. That's would at least redeemed him, but he wasn't a Skrull, wasn't under their influence and the Stark technology is what facilitated the Skrull's Earth invasion.

This pissed me a lot. Tony Stark has been at the center of all the Marvel chaos for the past 6 years. A lot of people should be at odds with him for all his unforgivable actions and yet, everything is going back to normal after Siege.
Possible Iron man spoiler follows. Just read the page on wikipedia and it said that
Spoiler:

As a result of his reboot from self-inflicted brain damage, he apparently does not have any memories of Civil War and beyond.

Maybe that's the reason?
Old 05-03-10, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The memory loss may be a part of it. Also, there's an Avengers mini coming soon from Bendis that takes place sometime before the upcoming Avengers reboot. Iron Man, Thor and Steve Rogers are trapped together on an alien planet for several months and learn to love one another again.

I'm not making that up.
Old 05-03-10, 11:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Possible Iron man spoiler follows. Just read the page on wikipedia and it said that
Spoiler:

As a result of his reboot from self-inflicted brain damage, he apparently does not have any memories of Civil War and beyond.

Maybe that's the reason?
Well, too bad Stark doesn't remember, but the logical storyline would let you believe that the rest of the Marvel Universe, including all regular civilians, remember all the shit Stark made.

Originally Posted by The Valeyard View Post
The memory loss may be a part of it. Also, there's an Avengers mini coming soon from Bendis that takes place sometime before the upcoming Avengers reboot. Iron Man, Thor and Steve Rogers are trapped together on an alien planet for several months and learn to love one another again.

I'm not making that up.
Again, the rest of the Marvel Universe was affected by Stark's action and remember very well the mess he caused. Why would Bruce Banner, Spider-Man, Bill Foster's nephew, Daredevil, Wolverine, Luke Cage, Iron Fist or any of the dozen of superheroes in the Marvel U forget all the pain Stark caused the past couple of years?

One of the things I liked about DC is the consistency they have of Batman disliking Hal Jordan, especially after Jordan became Parallax. That shows some type of continuity and logical, human reasoning behind the storylines.
Old 05-04-10, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Because this is the start of Marvel's Heroic Age. That's why it's so easy to forget. It's all bright and shiny now.

Seriously tho, I don't know. Once Siege is over, my Marvel input drops to 1 title.
Old 05-05-10, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I dropped almost all my Marvel titles after One More Day and the conclusion to Civil War. It just got way to confusing continuity wise. That and the few other books that I did enjoy dropped in quality significantly.
Old 05-12-10, 06:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Valeyard View Post
Because this is the start of Marvel's Heroic Age. That's why it's so easy to forget. It's all bright and shiny now.

Seriously tho, I don't know. Once Siege is over, my Marvel input drops to 1 title.
Yes, this is the answer as to why Stark is apparently is forgiven by everyone like nothing happened. Really, the Siege ending to the seven year story arc is just lame.

Spoiler:

The good thing: The Sentry was used as a villain and was killed by Thor.

The bad thing: Cap gave the shield and moniker to Bucky (who should be fucking dead) and is now works for the same government that wanted him arrested.

Tony Stark re-joins the Avenger, still the vocal leader and no one has anything to say about that. No one. no public apologies, no hero quitting in protest or threatening to cut his throat.

Maria Hill, the same arrogant SHIELD agent and Stark's crony is now an Avenger, when she should be in the same hole Stark dig himself into.

This Heroic Age sounds corny. They are saturating the market with Avenger titles like throwing shit at the wall see what sticks.

The X-men are fighting vampires. Really?!? Marvel is riding on the Twilight phenomenon and using vampires to fight the X-Men? WTF?

Old 05-12-10, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can't even begin to express how underwhelmed I am with the conclusion of the Marvel and DC "epics".

Final Crisis blew chunks. Blackest Night/Brightest Day do too. Flash Reborn was incredibly boring.

The conclusion to World War Hulk was typically anti-climactic. Secret Invasion, Dark Reign, and Seige sucked too. Nothing has made sense in the MU in years, especially after all the effort they put into streamlining things with Zero Hou- I mean, Heroes Reborn. At least DC is streamlining their continuity.
Old 05-13-10, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really enjoyed issues 2 and 3 of Siege, but 4 did seem like it was missing something.
Old 05-14-10, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't know why I keep doing it...Grant Morrison is killing me...

I know people love him, I picked up Final Crisis earlier this year and hated it; no, worse than hated it; i didn't understand most of it...I just don't get him I guess (although I thought A.S. Superman was excellent)...so I'm at the LCBS today and I see the Batman: the return of Bruce Wayne comic, and I'm like "okay, I'm interested, because maybe he is just crazy enough to pull off "the Omega Sanction that traps the organism in a series of alternate realities, each worse than the previous one." but again, I don't get it...I'm lost...
Spoiler:
10 pages of caveman talk and Supes and GL and Booster Gold show up? Am I missing something? WTF is going on?
Old 05-14-10, 04:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ivelostr2 View Post
I don't know why I keep doing it...Grant Morrison is killing me...

I know people love him, I picked up Final Crisis earlier this year and hated it; no, worse than hated it; i didn't understand most of it...I just don't get him I guess (although I thought A.S. Superman was excellent)...so I'm at the LCBS today and I see the Batman: the return of Bruce Wayne comic, and I'm like "okay, I'm interested, because maybe he is just crazy enough to pull off "the Omega Sanction that traps the organism in a series of alternate realities, each worse than the previous one." but again, I don't get it...I'm lost...
Spoiler:
10 pages of caveman talk and Supes and GL and Booster Gold show up? Am I missing something? WTF is going on?
Spoiler:
There is a sideline story comic with Rip Hunter, Superman, Booster Gold and GL that is going to explain their side of the adventure.

I'm waiting for 2 more issues before I make judgment.
Old 05-19-10, 12:05 PM
Banned

I was pleasantly surprised with Avengers #1.

Spoiler:
Didn't expect that the writers would tie up the doomsday future from The Runaways and bring the Maestro as the villain. The only thing I don't like at all is Maria Hill being the Avengers leader. That role should have been given to someone else.

I expected to hate this book, but now I'm looking forward to future issues.
Old 05-19-10, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Happy Avengers Day everyone.
Old 05-25-10, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Who would you have liked to see be the leader DX23?
Old 05-25-10, 03:29 PM
Banned

On the current team, the new Captain America or Steve Rogers, but my original choice before the current storyline would have been Nick Fury. That way it would be like Fury and Rogers traded places. Maria Hill should be a pariah in the Marvel Universe. The image I have of her is that of an idiot following orders during the Civil War and abusing her political power. she was the one that arrogantly strike the first blow during all this debacle by telling her SHIELD soldiers to attack Captain America. she was the one that continuously was looking to arrest the non-registered superheroes like they were villains, but didn't have a problem using the Thunderbolts or with the creation of a Thor clone to attack the good guys.