Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

How is a certain "free" comics site still around?

Old 10-29-09, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

How is a certain "free" comics site still around?

I ran across a site which I will not name. They have 1000s of issues of well known series' available for viewing, although all are around a year behind.

I understand the difficulty in the RIAA and MPAA curbing file sharing, but how is such a blatant disregard for Copyright Law still continuing?

To top it off, I found posts from the owners claiming they offered to do business with DC and Marvel, but when those companies refused, they hid behind the argument their website was no different than a public library and they have coded their site to prevent user download.
Old 10-29-09, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: How is a certain "free" comics site still around?

If an item is out of print and not being sold anymore by the company that has the rights to it, I have no problems with posting these in comics, music, movies, etc.
Old 10-29-09, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd View Post
If an item is out of print and not being sold anymore by the company that has the rights to it, I have no problems with posting these in comics, music, movies, etc.
I feel the same way, but the stuff on this site includes every issue of Amazing Spider-Man (and practically every other Spider-Man series) to name one of hundreds of titles.

I get their library argument, but last time I checked my local public library purchased legit releases of Spider-Man (i.e. the B/W Essential Series and the Marvel Masterworks stuff); Marvel didn't give it to them for free.
Old 10-29-09, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Are you talking about scanned *.cbr/*.cbz files?

Comic book piracy is rampant; there are whole collectives of people who rush out "zero day" scans of new comics days after they come out.

And, so far, there hasn't been much of a crackdown. Doesn't seem like the industry cares very much.
Old 10-29-09, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

No, this is a site that lets you view them inside a web-browser. I was well aware of the .cbr/.cbz stuff.
Old 10-31-09, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Are you talking about scanned *.cbr/*.cbz files?

Comic book piracy is rampant; there are whole collectives of people who rush out "zero day" scans of new comics days after they come out.

And, so far, there hasn't been much of a crackdown. Doesn't seem like the industry cares very much.
Marvel has been going after these sights tooth and nail, sending them letters threatening legal action. DC, however, has not really done much of anything yet. Maybe the loss margin on scanned comics is nowhere near the loss margin on copied music and movies?

Then again, Marvel has had a digital comic service for a couple of years. DC doesn't seem to be rushing towards that, although I did remember them saying that part of the reason was that they wanted to pay proper royalties to the writers/artists for digitally reproducing their work - at least that was the last excuse I remember.
Old 05-07-10, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well, I guess the publishers finally caught up to this guy.

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com...of-background/
Old 05-07-10, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I blame Rich Johnston.

Okay, not really. But everyone else seems to be.