Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Marvel Comics buys the rights to Miracleman/Marvelman

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-10, 03:52 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Marvel Comics buys the rights to Miracleman/Marvelman

Originally Posted by TheMadFapper
Moore is a much bigger douche then McFarlane could ever be, with his endless whining and bitching whenever one of his pwecious ittle comic books is "adapted" for a movie and then Moore is shocked, SHOCKED!!!!! to find that things have chancged in the transition from comic book to movie screen. McFarlane is a businessman plain and simple and that seems to run a lot of people the wrong way, for some demented reason.
This seems a somewhat contentious way to put across your point unless of course your main aim was to elicit an angry response. The irony is that another admin had now spotted what looks to be another account connected to you which, if correct, is against forum rules. Doubtless a credible explanation will soon be forthcoming...

To the best of my knowledge, Moore will not profit from any adaptations that he considers to have lost the spirit of his original work but usually makes sure that co-creators don't lose out. While his principles and general outlook may be out of kilter with the modern world, and are certainly at odds with the often heartless film-making world, he seems to have more integrity than the likes of McFarlane. And, equally important when considering the medium whereof we speak, has demontsrated considerably greater creative prowess.
Old 10-12-13, 04:41 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Looks like it's really going to happen.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=48465
Old 10-12-13, 06:39 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

The one-two punch of the return of Miracleman and the return of the Priest/Bright team on Quantum & Woody (hell -- any new comics by Priest) has made me so happy!
Old 10-14-13, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I can finally read Gaiman's run for a decent price. Back in the day, I stopped collecting Miracleman after Moore left. What did I know back then?
Old 10-14-13, 09:55 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yessss, I've always wondered what Gaiman was going to do after his run was cut short. I would love it if Marvel let him write some new material, too.
Old 10-14-13, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Yessss, I've always wondered what Gaiman was going to do after his run was cut short. I would love it if Marvel let him write some new material, too.
The plan is to reprint the existing Moore and Gaiman material in #1-24, the completed but unpublished #25, and then Gaiman and Buckingham will finish out their planned storyline with new material. Should end with issue #34.
Old 10-16-13, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
I think McFarlane's arrogant attitude is what turned people against him.
There you go.
Old 10-17-13, 02:20 PM

I generally don't buy single issues. Can I safely wait for the trades on these? What I mean is, will these be collected in trades or is that not in the agreement that Marvel has with the original publishers? I've never read these but hear they are amazing.
Old 10-17-13, 02:56 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Laertes
I generally don't buy single issues. Can I safely wait for the trades on these? What I mean is, will these be collected in trades or is that not in the agreement that Marvel has with the original publishers? I've never read these but hear they are amazing.
Nothing is certain, but I would be extremely surprised if we don't see these in single issue first, hardcovers every 6 issues or so, TPBs 6-12 months thereafter, and eventually one or two omnibuses.
Old 10-17-13, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
Nothing is certain, but I would be extremely surprised if we don't see these in single issue first, hardcovers every 6 issues or so, TPBs 6-12 months thereafter, and eventually one or two omnibuses.
That is probably likely coming from Marvel. I was hoping someone other than Marvel got the Miracleman rights. It's less about reprints and more about the future exploitation of the character.
Old 10-17-13, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

MIRACLEMAN #1 & 2

THE ORIGINAL WRITER & MICK ANGLO (W)

GARRY LEACH, ALAN DAVIS, PAUL NEARY, STEVE DILLON & MICK ANGLO (A)

ISSUE #1 – COVER BY JOE QUESADA
Variant COVER BY JOHN CASSADAY
Variant COVER BY MARK BUCKINGHAM
Variant COVER BY JEROME OPENA
Variant COVER BY LEINIL FRANCIS YU
Sketch VARIANT BY JOE QUESADA
YOUNG VARIANT BY SKOTTIE YOUNG
CLASSIC VARIANT BY GARRY LEACH

ISSUE #2 – COVER BY ALAN DAVIS
Variant COVER BY ARTHUR ADAMS
Variant COVER BY MIKE PERKINS
Variant COVER BY MIKE MCKONE
Sketch VARIANT BY ALAN DAVIS• KIMOTA! With one magic word, a long-forgotten legend lives again!

• Freelance reporter Michael Moran always knew he was meant for something more -- now, a strange series of events leads him to reclaim his destiny!

• Relive the ground-breaking eighties adventures that captured lightning in a bottle -- or experience them for the first time -- in these digitally restored, fully relettered editions!

• Issue 1 includes material originally presented in WARRIOR #1 and MIRACLEMAN #1, plus the MARVELMAN PRIMER. Issue #2 includes material originally presented in WARRIOR #1-5, plus bonus material.

ISSUE #1 – 64 PGS./Parental Advisory…$5.99
ISSUE #2 – 48 PGS./Parental Advisory…$4.99
Wonder what they're reprinting from Warrior (besides the actual MarvelMan stories)? Wasn't there a couple of tidbits that never made it to the US?
Old 10-17-13, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Wonder what they're reprinting from Warrior (besides the actual MarvelMan stories)? Wasn't there a couple of tidbits that never made it to the US?
Yeah, I think there was one short story drawn by Steve Dillon that wasn't reprinted by Eclipse, but I don't think there's a lot of material like that out there. The Dillon story is about eight pages, and there was a framing sequence from Miarcleman 3-D.

I wonder how they'll handle issue 8. That's the fill-in issue of the Eclipse run only contained silver age reprints and no "Original Writer" material. Just reprint it as-is to keep up the numbering, or something else?

Oh... I almost forgot. There's one more thing. Grant Morrison wrote a story called "The Devil and Johnny Bates" that was never published (it was rumored to have been in one of Morrison's fanzines, but I think that turned out to be false). I would love to have this see print somewhere.
Old 10-17-13, 09:08 PM
Suspended

The Original Writer. I hope He Who Shall Not Be Named By Marvel is happy with that credit.

My guess is issue #1 will reprint the text piece from Warrior #1 and issue #2 will reprint the Marvelman stories from Warrior #1-5, which Eclipse previously reprinted in Miracleman #1 and the first part of Miracleman #2. In other words, it looks like Marvel is not doing one-for-one reprints of the Eclipse stuff (at least insofar as it consisted of Warrior reprints), but instead is breaking things differently to make longer issues (which suggests they'll skip Eclipse's #8).
Old 10-18-13, 02:23 AM
Mod Emeritus

I really need to look through my box of old comicbooks that have followed me around from various houses over the years!

Although I took most of my old Marvel anthology reprints to a charity shop a decade ago, among other bits and pieces I hung on both to my (nearly?) full run of Quality Communications Warrior anthology comics and the set of Eclipse Miracleman I picked up later.

I think I was given a copy of Miracleman Number 1 by Dez Skinn as a freebie after he gave a talk at one of the two or three British Science Fiction Association London meetings I attended way back when.

If Marvel do a good TPB version I may pick that up and pass over the Eclipse originals to a nephew, as I'm more of a reader than a collector/speculator - my copies are not encased in mylar
Old 10-18-13, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

It took me a minute to figure out "original write & mick anglo." Typo of "original writer, Mick Anglo."

Either way, I'm happy it's finally coming out. Preferred the name Miracleman though.
Old 10-18-13, 08:38 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by brayzie
It took me a minute to figure out "original write & mick anglo." Typo of "original writer, Mick Anglo."

Either way, I'm happy it's finally coming out. Preferred the name Miracleman though.
I think they're using the name Miracleman for the Original Writer and Gaiman stuff, but they're also talking about introducing a version of the character into Marvel continuity under the Marvelman name.
Old 10-19-13, 12:04 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The plan is to reprint the existing Moore and Gaiman material in #1-24, the completed but unpublished #25, and then Gaiman and Buckingham will finish out their planned storyline with new material. Should end with issue #34.

Guess I have one more title I can add to my pull list at my LCBS.
Old 10-21-13, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
I think they're using the name Miracleman for the Original Writer and Gaiman stuff, but they're also talking about introducing a version of the character into Marvel continuity under the Marvelman name.
If that's true that's good for me. I started reading about the character as MIRACLE Man. Sounds so much more fitting for the character and the series than Marvel Man.

I know it only makes sense to introduce the character into the MU proper but I wish they didn't...reminds me a little bit of BEFORE Watchmen. But I can just ignore it. They'll probably get some top tier creators to handle it anyways.

I will be so glad to finally read what Gaiman had planned for the Dark Age. I always assumed that Dicky Dauntless was gay from reading about the series in publications like Wizard and Kimota! but when I read the actual issue it came across more like Miraclewoman was manipulating Miracleman.

Then I remembered that in the Moore issues he portrays Dauntless as being a misogynist and repressed homosexual, keeping in line with the writer's style of everything-you-know-is-wrong. But Gaiman's portrayal of Dauntless doesn't seem to hate women, and actually seems like a genuinely good person. And didn't Kid Miracleman have more developed super powers, even showcasing mental powers in the 2nd issue? I'm really looking forward to seeing this story finished.
Old 10-21-13, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I think Miracleman sounds a lot better than Marvelman. The latter name doesn't roll off the tongue very easily.
Old 11-13-13, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

EXCLUSIVE: Quesada Details "Miracleman's" Marvel-ous Return

Looks like we won't be seeing new material from Gaiman and Buckingham until 2016.

On the plus side, we can hope this gives them plenty of lead time to get started.
Old 11-13-13, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It'll still end up delayed. Just like Sandman Overture.
Old 11-13-13, 03:16 PM
Banned by request

Sandman Overture won't be done till 2016, so it all works out!
Old 01-18-14, 05:29 PM
Banned by request

Just got the first issue. Very well put together. It has the first two stories from Warrior, plus prelim art, interviews, etc.
Old 01-19-14, 06:35 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Just got the first issue. Very well put together. It has the first two stories from Warrior, plus prelim art, interviews, etc.
I'm definitely buying it next time I hit my LCBS. Haven't been since before Thanksgiving, I'm thinking I might hit triple digits $.
Old 01-19-14, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Yeah, I think there was one short story drawn by Steve Dillon that wasn't reprinted by Eclipse, but I don't think there's a lot of material like that out there. The Dillon story is about eight pages, and there was a framing sequence from Miarcleman 3-D.

I wonder how they'll handle issue 8. That's the fill-in issue of the Eclipse run only contained silver age reprints and no "Original Writer" material. Just reprint it as-is to keep up the numbering, or something else?

Oh... I almost forgot. There's one more thing. Grant Morrison wrote a story called "The Devil and Johnny Bates" that was never published (it was rumored to have been in one of Morrison's fanzines, but I think that turned out to be false). I would love to have this see print somewhere.
Warpsmiths bits, too.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.