Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Marvel Comics buys the rights to Miracleman/Marvelman

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-14, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts
Re: Marvel Comics buys the rights to Miracleman/Marvelman

The new Gaiman story won't appear until 2016, is that what I'm reading?

So it will be 7 years after they get the rights until new material.
Old 11-17-14, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony

So it will be 7 years after they get the rights until new material.
Sounds about right, I think 13 is the most recent issue out, there's the annual in December, then three more Moore issues, nine previously printed Gaiman issues and the finished, but never printed issue.

That takes things into 2016 easy.
Old 11-17-14, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

It's possible that Marvel will dual-solicit Gaiman's run (two a month) to bring new Gaiman stuff sooner. But based on how smoothly Sandman: Overture has been going, that probably won't happen.

Maybe Marvel will release the Miracleman: Apocrypha mini-series to give Gaiman more time to get his last portion of the series done? There was also another mini that Eclipse never released (Miracleman Triumphant). Plenty of stuff to let Neil catch up.

What's left of his run anyways? The remainder of the Silver Age (3 more chapters after the never-before printed issue) and then the six-part Dark Age. That's 9 issues. Should be finished by 2019. Maybe.
Old 11-19-14, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
Looks that way. #15 is solicited for February. Coming out at one per month, that would put #24 at November 2015. If they take December off again (there's a special annual solicited for this December that features the "lost" Grant Morrison story illustrated by Joe Quesada and a new story from Peter Milligan and Mike Allred) that means #25 is on track for January 2016.

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
It's possible that Marvel will dual-solicit Gaiman's run (two a month) to bring new Gaiman stuff sooner. But based on how smoothly Sandman: Overture has been going, that probably won't happen.

Maybe Marvel will release the Miracleman: Apocrypha mini-series to give Gaiman more time to get his last portion of the series done? There was also another mini that Eclipse never released (Miracleman Triumphant). Plenty of stuff to let Neil catch up.

What's left of his run anyways? The remainder of the Silver Age (3 more chapters after the never-before printed issue) and then the six-part Dark Age. That's 9 issues. Should be finished by 2019. Maybe.
Yeah, Gaiman still has nine issues to write unless something has changed. Also heard that Buckingham wants to re-ink 23-24-25.

With all of the lead time, I would hope that Neil and Mark will have enough time to get a good head start.

I love Neil, and he seems like a good fellow, but he seems to have made kind of a mess out of Sandman Overture's release schedule.

I wouldn't object at all to another Apocrypha series. There are plenty of creators out there who could have a bit of fun with character.
Old 03-04-15, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So Sandman: Overture still hasn't been completed and Marvel just announced that they are re-starting Miracleman with a fresh new #1 for Gaiman's run sometime in 2015. The "Original Writer's" last issue was released today.
Old 03-04-15, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts

It's okay to say Alan Moore's name. It wouldn't surprise me if Disney eventually turns this into a film.
Old 03-04-15, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
So Sandman: Overture still hasn't been completed and Marvel just announced that they are re-starting Miracleman with a fresh new #1 for Gaiman's run sometime in 2015. The "Original Writer's" last issue was released today.
Well, shit. That's going to fuck up my numbering. I already own the original Eclipse Miracleman #1-24 comic books, and I was going to start buying the Marvel editions with #25. Figured something was up when the solicitations stopped at #16.

This is going to end up being another Sandman Overture, isn't it?

Now it's not surprising that Neil Gaiman was defending George R. R. Martin and his slow output a few years ago.
Old 03-04-15, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Oh, yeah. There's no doubt about it.
Old 03-05-15, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, shit. That's going to fuck up my numbering. I already own the original Eclipse Miracleman #1-24 comic books, and I was going to start buying the Marvel editions with #25. Figured something was up when the solicitations stopped at #16.

Now it's not surprising that Neil Gaiman was defending George R. R. Martin and his slow output a few years ago.
Marvel loves their #1 issues. I'm surprised they haven't moved all their issues to being #1 of volume X.
Old 03-05-15, 01:30 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hrmmmmm.
Old 04-29-15, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The official title for Gaiman's run is MIRACLEMAN BY GAIMAN & BUCKINGHAM with a new #1 on September 2nd.

It was the series that changed comics forever. And at long last – it will be completed. This September, a tale that began 25 years ago will finally be told in MIRACLEMAN BY GAIMAN & BUCKINGHAM #1! Visionary comic legends Neil Gaiman (Sandman, 1602) & Mark Buckingham (Fables) bring you a new Age of Miracles and a story of epic proportions! Kicking off The Golden Age storyline and then continuing into the unfinished The Silver Age & The Dark Age arcs, Gaiman & Buckingham’s lost Miracleman story will finally see the light of day!

Uttering a single, long-forgotten word, Michael Moran transformed from the ordinary into the extraordinary – and Miracleman was born! Years out of print and left unfinished, Marvel Comics is pleased to bring these iconic and trailblazing stories back to print for an entirely new generation of fans. Now is the chance to jump on board one of the most groundbreaking stories in comics history before these two industry titans bring you the cataclysmic conclusion to their famously unfinished storyline!

"That Neil and Bucky can finally finish the story they started, is a great relief to still-gasping fans — myself among them," says Marvel Editor-in-Chief Axel Alonso.

Gaiman and Buckingham reunite with series colorist D’Israeli and award-winning letterer Todd Klein to create the definitive Miracleman. Each issue has been remastered directly from the original artwork and will feature extensive additional content including scripts, original art, sketches, rare promotional pieces — and more! Look for this exciting jumping on point this September 2nd when MIRACLEMAN BY GAIMAN & BUCKINGHAM #1 comes to comic shops!
Old 04-29-15, 02:35 PM
Banned

I remember when Wizard brought up a list of like the craziest/extreme/whatever in comics. I was like mid teens. Anyway... they mentioned this character and Moore's run. Since that time and ESPECIALLY the past 2 years I've collected all those mentioned in the listing. Preacher, Authority, etc. Miracleman was the one that I couldn't get cuz of the rights. Now that we've got him back... I'm iffy on getting the 3 books that were Moore's run. They're rather expensive for so little quantity of work in there.

Do you guys think they'll collect all of Moore's run w/ MM? I'm like close to breaking down and buying them. Just to have it finally. It has teased my imagination so much. Even reading about it doesn't satisfy me. It just really intrigues me w/ wtf happens in there.
Old 04-29-15, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

There will be an omnibus for sure. Likely one for Moore and one for Gaiman.
Old 04-29-15, 03:15 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I have all the original Warrior and then Eclipse issues. They were amazing. In my top five comic stories of all-time probably.
Old 04-29-15, 03:50 PM
Banned

I'm still so behind on reading certain things. Never have read Moore's Swamp Thing. League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. etc etc. Dunno why I didn't go after them before. I just mostly focused on other things.
Old 04-30-15, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I have all the original Warrior and then Eclipse issues. They were amazing. In my top five comic stories of all-time probably.
I've got the Warrior issues, the Eclipse issues, the Marvel issues, the Marvel Premiere hardcover collections, the Marvel Classic MM hardcovers, and I'll likely end up ordering the inevitable Omnibus too. Overkill I know. I'm a huge fan of Moore's run on the series and much less so of Gaiman's. But I'm sure I'll get those too.
Old 04-30-15, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I'm still so behind on reading certain things. Never have read Moore's Swamp Thing. League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. etc etc. Dunno why I didn't go after them before. I just mostly focused on other things.
League is okay but you've got to read those Swamp Thing issues. I haven't re-read them but it was great reading those every month when they were released.
Old 04-30-15, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I remember when Wizard brought up a list of like the craziest/extreme/whatever in comics. I was like mid teens. Anyway... they mentioned this character and Moore's run. Since that time and ESPECIALLY the past 2 years I've collected all those mentioned in the listing. Preacher, Authority, etc. Miracleman was the one that I couldn't get cuz of the rights. Now that we've got him back... I'm iffy on getting the 3 books that were Moore's run. They're rather expensive for so little quantity of work in there.

Do you guys think they'll collect all of Moore's run w/ MM? I'm like close to breaking down and buying them. Just to have it finally. It has teased my imagination so much. Even reading about it doesn't satisfy me. It just really intrigues me w/ wtf happens in there.
Alan Moore brilliantly deconstructs the Shazam/Captain Marvel concept in Miracleman. Miracleman was basically a cheap British clone of Captain Marvel until Moore got his hands on him.
Old 04-30-15, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Required Alan Moore reading:

Miracleman
Watchmen
V for Vendetta
Swamp thing
From Hell
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen vol. 1 and 2
Promethea
Old 04-30-15, 03:06 PM
Banned

I read promethea like 10 years ago or something. It didn't attract me. Probably cuz I was not in the mood for it. Fuck. I don't even remember what it was about.
Old 04-30-15, 03:13 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Required Alan Moore reading:

Miracleman
Watchmen
V for Vendetta
Swamp thing
From Hell
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen vol. 1 and 2
Promethea
That's a pretty good order, with 1-4 almost tied for first imho. I'd put Swamp Thing farther up just because I was an impressionable kid new to comics when the character got his own book by Wein and Wrightson.

Also, his two Superman stories deserve a place in any comic fan's library. If I had to pick a single issue story as my all-time favorite it'd likely be "For the Man Who Has Everything".
Old 04-30-15, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I read promethea like 10 years ago or something. It didn't attract me. Probably cuz I was not in the mood for it. Fuck. I don't even remember what it was about.
I stayed away from Promethea for the longest time because it looked too all-over-the-place. When I finally did read it, after reading Glory #0-2 and finding out Promethea is basically what Glory was supposed to be.
I thought it was great. The middle part when Moore is just explaining magic is boring. But when Sophia becomes Promthea, the Joker style character of the Painted Doll and her battle between Tom Strong were classic comic book moments.

Originally Posted by Trevor
That's a pretty good order, with 1-4 almost tied for first imho. I'd put Swamp Thing farther up just because I was an impressionable kid new to comics when the character got his own book by Wein and Wrightson.

Also, his two Superman stories deserve a place in any comic fan's library. If I had to pick a single issue story as my all-time favorite it'd likely be "For the Man Who Has Everything".
I like "For the Man Who has Everything" much better than "What Ever Happened To the Man of Tomorrow."

I haven't read some of the comics on that list. I have read most of Alan Moore's work when he worked for Rob Liefeld:

1963 (60s Marvel at it's best and worst)
Supreme (pretty much Silver Age Superman)
Judgment Day (The DCU according to Alan Moore)
Youngblood (The Awesome Universe version of Teen Titans)
Glory (Wonder Woman)

From his ABC line I really liked TOP 10.

Tom Strong was well written, and I really loved the premise of each issue, but I never really cared for the main character or his supporting cast. I feel like it was Supreme-lite.
Old 04-30-15, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I loved his run on Supreme. If you guys like his Superman stories, I think it's mandatory reading.
Old 04-30-15, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Greg MacGuffin
I loved his run on Supreme. If you guys like his Superman stories, I think it's mandatory reading.
Supreme is easily the best extended run on Superman since the Silver Age. Wait, what!? Just like Miracleman is a thinly-veiled clone of Captain Marvel, Supreme is a thinly-veiled clone of the Silver Age Superman brought into the modern age.

DC should buy the rights to that character, Supreme was originally created by Rob Liefeld but the artist let Moore take the character and do anything he wanted with him. Probably the smartest thing that Rob Liefeld has ever done.

I am not as big a fan of Promethea, I don't think it ranks with Moore's other classic works.
Old 04-30-15, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Supreme is easily the best extended run on Superman since the Silver Age. Wait, what!? Just like Miracleman is a thinly-veiled clone of Captain Marvel, Supreme is a thinly-veiled clone of the Silver Age Superman brought into the modern age.

DC should buy the rights to that character, Supreme was originally created by Rob Liefeld but the artist let Moore take the character and do anything he wanted with him. Probably the smartest thing that Rob Liefeld has ever done.

I am not as big a fan of Promethea, I don't think it ranks with Moore's other classic works.
Why should DC buy the rights to Supreme though?

I agree , Liefeld letting Alan Moore do whatever he wanted with the Awesome/Extreme universe was the smartest thing he did. I'm pretty surprised though at how a lot of the very unique ideas that Moore introduced throughout his superhero comics career are strongly based on other people's work like this example, Superfolks, and Isaac Asimov's The Last Question and Moore's other Superman analog Mr. Majestic in "The Big Chill."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.