Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Comic book related clothing (t-shirts. etc)

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-08, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you own any clothing featuring comic book characters? Do you wear it in public? Does it make you feel like a nerd?

I've never bought one myself, but I have a few shirts that I've received as gifts. I have a JLA, Flash, Aquaman, and Joker. They're not too bad...more of the "vintage" looking shirts you'd see at Target. I haven't really worn them much in public. I like the Joker one quite a bit. It just has his head and logo.

I also have some Marvel boxer shorts, but not many people see those.

When people know you like comics, they sometimes think you will like anything tied to a comic character, so it doesn't always work out so well.
Old 02-07-08, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have three Punisher shirts, one TMNT, and one Venom shirt. And no it doesn't make me feel like a nerd. Although it is gratifying to say, "I had the shirt before you saw the movie".
Old 02-07-08, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh yeah! I also have an OLD Punisher shirt. It's from like 1992, and it's just the BIG skull (which glows in the dark). I sometimes wear it to mow the grass.

Also, a Sabretooth/Wolverine shirt from 1993. I never wear it, but I have fond memories of where I had purchased it.

I'm thinking of buying some iron-on sheets for my printer and making my own. I really want an Ambush Bug T-shirt.
Old 02-07-08, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got a Fantastic Four shirt for Christmas. Just a blue shirt with the 4 on the front. I love it. I've worn it out a few times, and I actually feel cool. It's a nice t-shirt, not tacky or anything. And if you don't know what 4 means, well, you're not geeky enough for me.
Old 02-07-08, 02:53 PM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Originally Posted by dadaluholla
Oh yeah! I also have an OLD Punisher shirt. It's from like 1992, and it's just the BIG skull (which glows in the dark). I sometimes wear it to mow the grass.

Also, a Sabretooth/Wolverine shirt from 1993. I never wear it, but I have fond memories of where I had purchased it.

I'm thinking of buying some iron-on sheets for my printer and making my own. I really want an Ambush Bug T-shirt.
You know that isn't a bad idea...there is a GI Joe issue of Snake Eyes I have always wanted on a shirt.
Old 02-07-08, 08:30 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to have lots of Marvel t-shirts in the '80s & '90s, but now, not so much.
Old 02-07-08, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have quite a few. Maybe a dozen? And no, I don't feel like a nerd at all when I wear them, in fact I tend to get compliments instead of judgmental glares.

The thing about comic book shirts is that if you get the right ones, they usuaully just have a kick ass design on them. I'm not talking about those silk "club" shirts, but just the t-shirts with a characters emblem/sybol on it, or those shits with Kirby or Neal Adams heads on them.
Old 02-07-08, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have 2 justice league shirts, 2 transformer shirts, 2 star wars shirts, a Gi Joe shirt, and a spiderman shirt. I wear them often, usually to work. When people make fun, I laugh at it. I was open about my geekness in highschool and college, and it even got me laid a few times. Often in college, i would build Star Wars CCG decks (lastminute for tournaments the next morning) during and after parties, while girks were there, and i occasionally worked in my favor. Often girls would talk to me about what i was doing and actually listen. I think the fact that i wasn't hiding it interested them. My roommate thought i was insane, but it worked.
I sometimes work with kids and they always get a kick out of my shirts, it actually starts a dialogue with them and parents on a regular basis when they think i have somein common with them.
Old 02-07-08, 11:07 PM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

I used to have a lot and I loved wearing them back when I was like 17-ish. Now that I'm 30 I tend to dress like an adult out in public... That doesn't mean I don't wear geek clothes at home though! Spider-man lounge pants and Zelda t-shirt! when my wife gives me grief I kindly remind her that she wears hello kitty pj's.
Old 02-08-08, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by dadaluholla

My ex husband has the same Punisher shirt, we use to work at a photo lab and he would press the unexposed paper at the end of the roll against his shirt and then have it processed, that was cool.
Old 02-08-08, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 607 Likes on 351 Posts
I have t-shirts from the San Diego Con that I am "cautious" about where I wear. A few more years and I'll be able to wear them with dignity and Depends.
Old 02-08-08, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm curious as to why your cautious? Obviously there is a time and place for everything, but if what you're doing is a t-shirt and jeans kind of deal, what's the bother?

Like if you were going to the mall or the movies, you really wouldn't wear that shirt with the superman insignia or whatever on it? I find that interesting since you have shirts, so you must like them.

Last edited by boredsilly; 02-08-08 at 12:52 AM.
Old 02-08-08, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
I finally bought a gorgeous "Kingdom Come Superman" t-shirt. You know, the Superman "S" that's red and black? Anyway, I've been wating to buy one 4-ever and my LCBS mostly has crap Marvel and corny Anime shirts and even then most are sized for skinny ass kids or girls. So when I saw that shirt I had to have it!

I have to lose a few more pounds before I can wear it but I figured I'd do what chicks do and buy it anyway and use it as a weight loss goal.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 02-08-08 at 01:58 AM.
Old 02-08-08, 02:31 AM

I had the same Punisher t-shirt! It's a quasi tank top now for working around the house. Nowadays there's Gungrave ( 2 of them), Berserk, movie Decepticon logo, Gankutsuou, 2 Gundam Wing, Saiyuki and a Geneon company one. I'd really want a Barricade police logo one or Darth Tater and french fry.
Old 02-08-08, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I seriously have too many comic related shirts.
Old 02-08-08, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
I have a Mage t-shirt somewhere

Old 02-08-08, 08:44 AM

I have had bunches of shirts over the years and I still purchase them on occasion. Wal-mart gets in more comic shirts now then they ever did. My current favorite shirt has the satellite era Justice League on it. That was a birthday gift from Wal-mart.
My favorite hat has the old Valiant comics logo on it! I am not ashamed to wear any of it!!

Take care all!!
Old 02-08-08, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
None.
Old 02-08-08, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My current favorite shirt has the satellite era Justice League on it. That was a birthday gift from Wal-mart.
Is it blue with tons of characters on the front? That is the one I have. It's pretty cool.
Old 02-08-08, 12:20 PM

I have an Achewood "Great Outdoor Fight" t-shirt that I wear around. Nobody has asked me what it's about though.
Old 02-08-08, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My favorite is this one:

I also have a Harley Quinn shirt I've only worn a couple times. But that's about it.
Old 03-23-08, 01:48 AM

I don't have it anymore, but I miss my Rorshach ink blot shirt from the Watchmen that I had many, many years ago.
Old 03-23-08, 09:40 AM
Banned

I just had a shirt made at the local mall: a BIG enlargement of Marvel 2-in-1 #1 (Thing vs Man-Thing) on a black tee. The transfer ended up a little larger than an old Life magazine from the 60s/70s. Way cool!
Old 03-23-08, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
Originally Posted by macnorton
I have three Punisher shirts, one TMNT, and one Venom shirt. And no it doesn't make me feel like a nerd. Although it is gratifying to say, "I had the shirt before you saw the movie".
I had a Batman Logo shirt I wore in 1987 that I bought in New Orleans before the Batman shirt craze that came with Tim Burton's Batman. I wore it all the time because I thought it looked cool and was different ( i don't think a Superman insignia shirt woul have been received the same way at that time though). You just didn't see a lot of people wearing comic related shirts back in that time...at least not in Alabama. No one ever made mention of it and some thought it was cool cause you could scarcely find one. Then Batman fever exploded and everyone had one. I quit wearing mine because of it.

I own one or two comic/video game related shirts now but use them just as junk shirts. I don't feel dorky about wearing "retro" type video game shirts (like an Atari logo or old Activision logo) out in public but would definitely feel dorky in a super-hero shirt. What does that mean?
Old 03-23-08, 10:14 AM

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,133 Posts
Originally Posted by macnorton
You know that isn't a bad idea...there is a GI Joe issue of Snake Eyes I have always wanted on a shirt.
Ooh, that is a good idea!

Do you mean this one?

I've always liked this one:

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.