Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Are you ready for Wednesday Comics?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-09, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Are you ready for Wednesday Comics?

Is there a place in the marketplace for oversized weekly comics?

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/0904...citations.html

WEDNESDAY COMICS #1-4
In July, DC Comics gives a fresh twist to a grand comics tradition with WEDNESDAY COMICS, a new, weekly 12-issue series by some of the greatest names in comics today!
WEDNESDAY COMICS is unique in modern comics history: Reinventing the classic weekly newspaper comics section, it is a 16-page weekly that unfolds to a sprawling 28” x 20” tabloid-sized reading experience bursting with mind-blowing color, action and excitement, with each feature on its own 14” x 20” page.
Spearheaded by DCU Editorial Art Director Mark Chiarello, whose past editing credits include BATMAN BLACK & WHITE, DC: THE NEW FRONTIER and SOLO, each page of WEDNESDAY COMICS spotlights the continuing adventures of DC heroes, including:
• BATMAN, WEDNESDAY COMICS’ weekly cover feature, by the Eisner Award-winning 100 BULLETS team of writer Brian Azzarello and artist Eduardo Risso
• ADAM STRANGE, by writer/artist Paul Pope (BATMAN: YEAR 100)
• METAMORPHO, written by New York Times best-selling writer Neil Gaiman with art by Eisner Award-winner Michael Allred (Madman)
• THE DEMON AND CATWOMAN, written by Walter Simonson (Thor, MANHUNTER) with art by famed DC cover artist Brian Stelfreeze
• DEADMAN, written by Dave Bullock and Vinton Heuck, art by Dave Bullock
• KAMANDI, written by Dave Gibbons (WATCHMEN, GREEN LANTERN CORPS) with art by Ryan Sook (Buffy The Vampire Slayer, ARKHAM ASYLUM: LIVING HELL)
• SUPERMAN, written by John Arcudi (The Mask) with art by Lee Bermejo (JOKER)
• WONDER WOMAN, written and illustrated by Ben Caldwell (Dare Detectives)
• GREEN LANTERN, written by Kurt Busiek (TRINITY, ASTRO CITY) with art by Joe Quiρones (TEEN TITANS GO!)
• TEEN TITANS, written by Eddie Berganza with art by Sean Galloway
• SUPERGIRL, written by Jimmy Palmiotti (JONAH HEX) with art by Amanda Conner (POWER GIRL)
• HAWKMAN, written and illustrated by Kyle Baker (PLASTIC MAN, Special Forces)
• SGT. ROCK, written by Adam Kubert (SUPERMAN: LAST SON), ilustrated by legendary comics artist Joe Kubert
• THE FLASH, written by Karl Kerschl (TEEN TITANS YEAR ONE, THE FLASH: THE FASTEST MAN ALIVE) and Brenden Fletcher, illustrated by Karl Kerschl
• METAL MEN, written by Dan DiDio with art by Ian Churchill (SUPERGIRL)
WEDNESDAY COMICS will arrive in stores folded twice to 7” x 10”, with the first issue set to reach stores on July 8.
Issue #1 on sale July 8; Issue #2 on sale July 15; Issue #3 on sale July 22; Issue #4 on sale July 29 • 1-4 of 12 • 7” x 10”, 16 pg, FC, $3.99 US
Old 04-21-09, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Re: Are you ready for Wednesday Comics?

Its an interesting idea, but its preaching to the choir, unless they get these out to grocery stores, or places comics used to be. Also kinda surprised at the $4 price.
Old 04-21-09, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

They should just roll it up at that size. It just seems like an impractical size format, but I'll check it out due to the talent line-up. I guess they feel that they are giving 30 pages of normal-sized content (where each 1 page at the 14"x20" size is at least 2 pages of story content even at the oversized format), so they thought it would justify the $3.99 cover price.
Old 04-21-09, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ehh part of me thinks its neat, part of me thinks its a waste.

So any predictions on Marvel's lame attempt to try to match this latest gimmick? Tiny bubble gum comics? Bringing back pogs maybe?
Old 04-21-09, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I approve of the contributing writers/artists - and if these stories aren't too tied down by convoluted continuities, it could bring in new readers - but not at $4 a pop.
Old 04-22-09, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I did get to see a page of "The Demon and Catwoman" by Stelfreeze last night, and in that 14"x20" format, you can pack a lot of story/panels onto on 1 page. The original art will be enlarged by about 1/2" (very minimal) from the original page size for publication.

So, if you get all 12 issues, you end up with roughly fifteen 24-30 page issues for about $48 cover price, depending on story/panel pacing.
Old 04-23-09, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Looks pretty cool. This is the first "floppy" I'll be picking up in years.

http://dcublog.dccomics.com/wp-conte...4/superman.jpg
http://dcublog.dccomics.com/wp-conte.../04/batman.jpg
Old 04-25-09, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Like the lineup, not so sure about the size
Old 12-23-09, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Ooh, just ran across this

Wednesday Comics (Hardcover)
List Price: $49.99
This title will be released on June 1, 2010.
Hardcover: 200 pages

Old 05-02-10, 01:19 AM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

This book was in my personal gold box on amazon. I preordered it for 29.00. Should I keep ot or cancel. I never read these, but it looked cool.
Old 05-02-10, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

after discovering Roy Cranes Captain Easy Sunday pages years ago, I fell madly in love with the format (1 chapter = 1 oversized page). I still have a few portfolio pages I did in a Sunday comic page style, and if I ever continue to develop the character I would continue with that. It's a real hard sell though, when so much of the fan community is mired in a bagged & boarded mindset. This format is unwieldy unless the material is collected, preferably in a HC.
I missed the floppies, but am looking forward to getting the HC in June.
Old 05-02-10, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I picked them all up and loved it more than hated it. A few of the strips felt forced but overall, it was a great experiment. I'm thinking about picking up the hardcover for the extras and having the strips in a "cleaner" format. I will say that after picking up this series, I've been reading more and more newspaper comic collections with a deeper appreciation.
Old 05-03-10, 08:34 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by g
This book was in my personal gold box on amazon. I preordered it for 29.00. Should I keep ot or cancel. I never read these, but it looked cool.
The art ranged from very good to absolutely gorgeous. The stories ranged from OK to pretty good. I liked it.
Old 05-31-10, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Also used my $25 credit from the Omnibus fiasco a month or two ago to order this over-sized collection HC edition of Wednesday Comics, hope it shows up on Wednesday!
Old 06-01-10, 11:04 PM
g

I decided to keep my order on amazon. but I don't have prime anymore so I wont get it by wednesday.
Old 06-03-10, 09:18 PM
g

Somehow it was delivered. I haven't opened it yet but it says it includes never before seen Plastic Man and The Creeper one pagers and exclusive sketches. Thumbs up.
Old 06-04-10, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

I got this from my latest DCBS shipment. Didn't expect much, not a fan of the project at all when it was released, but holy cow what a gorgeous hardcover! Have only read a few strips but I already wish there was a part two coming.
Old 06-04-10, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Got mine in from Amazon yesterday.
Nice book. Only complaint I have is that I wish they'd trimmed it. I can understand why the art is the size it is, but they still could have gone in afterward and trimmed the signatures. I have one shelf just for oversized books like this, and it still misses by hair.

As for the contents- lots of nice looking work here, although some people don't seem to get the concept quite as well as others.
I know a lot of people hated Caldwells Wonder Woman. It's painfully dense, and has a pronounced anti-retro vibe to it, but I think I might end up digging it anyway. Sook's Kamandi looks sensational as does Garcia-Lopez's Metal Men.
Flash and Green Lantern also look like a lot of fun.

Looking forward to spending some quality time with this.
Old 06-07-10, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
Got mine in from Amazon yesterday.
Nice book. Only complaint I have is that I wish they'd trimmed it. I can understand why the art is the size it is, but they still could have gone in afterward and trimmed the signatures. I have one shelf just for oversized books like this, and it still misses by hair.
The worst part of it is that there's a good inch of dead white space in both the top and bottom of the pages - they easily could've trimmed the height of this book by two inches without sacrificing anything (or made it a little wider and had the art extend to the top and bottom of the page as it does to the sides).

I wonder why they designed it like this - kinda retarded.
Old 06-08-10, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by slop101
I wonder why they designed it like this - kinda retarded.
I should know this terminology better than I do.
The reason the book is the size it is (11 x 17) is because that is a standard printing size- although the 11 x 17 area is usually printed so that there are two 11 x 8.5 pages and folded in half .

I understand why they would want to limit the width to 11, although it yields really tight margins here. To make the pages wider would have been considerably more expensive and yielded a lot of wasted paper considering the standardized paper sizes they work with. But they still could have gone one extra step here and trimmed the height so there wasn't as much dead space in the head and tail.

The only reason they didn't was $. It wouldn't have much at all per book, but the bean counters make sure every penny is accounted for.