DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Comic Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk-57/)
-   -   Classic/retro comic strips thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk/549456-classic-retro-comic-strips-thread.html)

davidh777 10-28-11 10:25 AM

Re: Classic/retro comic strips thread

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

Steve Canyon Volume 1: 1947-1948
IDW, Publication Date: February 7, 2012

Steve Canyon like you''ve never seen it before - reproduced directly from Milton Caniff''s personal set of syndicate proofs! For the first time: the definitive edition of the Steve Canyon newspaper strip by Milton Caniff featuring every Sunday in color and the daily strips in their original, uncropped versions. Caniff quit Terry and the Pirates in 1946 to begin Steve Canyon and it became his biggest-selling work. Forever known as the "Rembrandt of the Comic Strip," Caniff is at the absolute peak of his artistic prowess in these strips. Your passport is stamped for Adventure, Intrigue, and Danger on your expedition to exotic locales with your pilot, the one and only Steve Canyon! The Caniff women are also on display, as Steve Canyon Volume 1 features steely yet sexy "Copper" Calhoun; the beautiful schemer, Delta; that modern-day Mata Hari, Madame Lynx; Dr. Deen Wilderness, who is as capable as she is lovely; plus Captain Shark, Convoy, and the footloose Fancy. Edited and designed by Dean Mullaney, with historical essays by Bruce Canwell, Steve Canyon is presented in a matching hardcover set to the Library of American Comics''s Eisner Award-winning Terry and the Pirates.

Flash Gordon: On the Planet Mongo: The Complete Flash Gordon Library (Vol. 1) (Alex Raymond Sunday Strips)
Titan, Series: Alex Raymond Sunday Strips | Publication Date: March 27, 2012

Beginning the complete library of the greatest science fiction hero of all time.

Volume One will spotlight the work of Alex Raymond, legendary for some of the finest storytelling of the 20th century. Raymond illustrated the Sunday strips until 1944; with his clear and much-imitated style forming the original aesthetic of the most popular and easily recognised science fiction hero for decades to come.

Introducing Flash Gordon, Dale Arden, Dr. Hans Zarkov, and Ming the Merciless, this volume will catapult readers to the deadly planet Mongo.

These are the strips that influenced George Lucas to create Star Wars, and which illustrator Al Williamson said were "the reason I became an artist."

Paul_SD 11-13-11 02:42 PM

Just a heads up- Amazon has been offering a bunch of the IDW LOAC books under the 'bargain price' banner lately. These are separate listings from the regular discounted books. All the books have a Amazon sticker covering up the regular barcode on the jacket, and the books may or may not be marked (in marker on the edge) the way they are often in a bookstore.
So far I've ordered 3 of them (Lil' Abner Vol.2, King Aroo, along with Russell Pattersons Tophats & Flappers) The Russell Patterson book arrived in damn near mint condition. The only thing that could be quibbled about was the Amazon sticker over the UPC, but to me thats not a big deal at all.
The two IDW books arrived in a little rougher shape- with the main issue being a little wear to the dust jackets. For anyone that has ordered anything from TFAW's nick and dent stock, the quality here was comparable to much of what I've gotten there. And to be honest, I went through several copies of Terry and the Pirates volumes at regular price a couple years back, just trying to get one that wasn't beat up- so getting books for more than 50% off here, the modest condition defects fall right in line with my expectations.

Last I looked, they had a few volumes of Lil' Abner, Dick Tracy, Little Orphan Annie, King Aroo, Secret Agent X-9, and others. The prices are usually $20 for the $50 books, and $17 for the $40. At the very least, it's a good economical way to sample a strip to see if it's worth following.
Sometimes they will show up in a general search, otherwise type in 'bargain graphic novels' in the search field.

So far Abner is a bit of a slog for me, but Aroo turned out to be a very pleasant surprise. Very much in the vein of Pogo, but even more whimsical and absurdist (if that's possible).

davidh777 11-13-11 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Paul_SD (Post 11003000)
Just a heads up- Amazon has been offering a bunch of the IDW LOAC books under the 'bargain price' banner lately. These are separate listings from the regular discounted books. All the books have a Amazon sticker covering up the regular barcode on the jacket, and the books may or may not be marked (in marker on the edge) the way they are often in a bookstore.
So far I've ordered 3 of them (Lil' Abner Vol.2, King Aroo, along with Russell Pattersons Tophats & Flappers) The Russell Patterson book arrived in damn near mint condition. The only thing that could be quibbled about was the Amazon sticker over the UPC, but to me thats not a big deal at all.
The two IDW books arrived in a little rougher shape- with the main issue being a little wear to the dust jackets. For anyone that has ordered anything from TFAW's nick and dent stock, the quality here was comparable to much of what I've gotten there. And to be honest, I went through several copies of Terry and the Pirates volumes at regular price a couple years back, just trying to get one that wasn't beat up- so getting books for more than 50% off here, the modest condition defects fall right in line with my expectations.

Last I looked, they had a few volumes of Lil' Abner, Dick Tracy, Little Orphan Annie, King Aroo, Secret Agent X-9, and others. The prices are usually $20 for the $50 books, and $17 for the $40. At the very least, it's a good economical way to sample a strip to see if it's worth following.
Sometimes they will show up in a general search, otherwise type in 'bargain graphic novels' in the search field.

So far Abner is a bit of a slog for me, but Aroo turned out to be a very pleasant surprise. Very much in the vein of Pogo, but even more whimsical and absurdist (if that's possible).

I got volumes of X-9 and Rip Kirby for $20 each. One had a little tear in the dust jacket along the spine--nothing big.

davidh777 11-14-11 10:55 AM

Also, based on those purchases, I got Miss Fury in my Gold Box custom deals today, and it was a similar $20 bargain reduced to $19. Blind buy for me.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1L._SL135_.jpg

davidh777 11-14-11 10:59 AM

Pogo preview

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BNhFvSJlR8g?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BNhFvSJlR8g?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Bronkster 11-15-11 07:35 PM

Just ordered Pogo! :dance:

Paul_SD 11-16-11 02:06 PM

My copy of Pogo came in along with the Barks book.
Pogo is slightly taller than similarly orientated books from IDW, but looks otherwise very consistent with those.

Fantagraphics has very been hit and miss for me. While I love the recent Alex Toth collection and the new Prince Valiant hardcovers, I've been very disappointed in the way they've handled both Roy Crane series. They did right by Pogo though, and it will be good to see this series collected and presented well.

Paul_SD 12-19-11 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by davidh777 (Post 10920685)
New cover art

In my Gold Box today for $43.55, which is 42% off but still pricey.

I got my copy in last week. The reproduction of a few of the strips is pretty dodgy, but I'm sure they did the best they could with what was available to them. Overall the book is a pleaser and another class act from IDW.

I was going back and forth on whether to get it or the Titan or neither, and eventually a good bargain swayed me. Using a 25% off coupon at B&N.com, I got this for $36 shipped, including tax.
B&N is expected to kick out a 30% coupon today, so if anyone is interested in this, you'll be able to score it for $31.75.

Nick Danger 12-25-11 01:25 PM

My copy of Captain Easy Volume 1 came in last night. I haven't read anything yet, but the pictures are pretty.

There's a little quotation in the front of Charles Schulz admitting that Linus looked like Wash Tubbs. I know that Schulz was a big fan of Krazy Kat, and if Captain Easy is in that league, I should be in for a treat.

davidh777 02-24-12 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Paul_SD (Post 11047566)
I got my copy in last week. The reproduction of a few of the strips is pretty dodgy, but I'm sure they did the best they could with what was available to them. Overall the book is a pleaser and another class act from IDW.

I was going back and forth on whether to get it or the Titan or neither, and eventually a good bargain swayed me. Using a 25% off coupon at B&N.com, I got this for $36 shipped, including tax.
B&N is expected to kick out a 30% coupon today, so if anyone is interested in this, you'll be able to score it for $31.75.

I saw this in my LCS and didn't expect it to be so HUGE. I'm sure it's nice, though. Apparently it's done well enough for them to schedule vol. 2 for June.

davidh777 03-16-12 01:53 PM

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...SH20_OU01_.jpg

Nancy Is Happy: Complete Dailies 1943-1945 (Vol. 1)
Paperback: 336 pages
Publisher: Fantagraphics; Reprint edition (March 16, 2012)

The latest addition to Fantagraphics’ award- winning classic comic strip reprint series.
A funny thing happened on the way to comic-strip immortality. For many years, Ernie Bushmiller’s Nancy, with its odd-looking, squat heroine, nearly abstract art, and often super-corny gags, was perceived as the stodgiest, squarest comic strip in the world. Popular with newspaper readers, true — but definitely not a strip embraced by comic-strip connoisseurs, like Krazy Kat, Dick Tracy or Terry and the Pirates.

But then those connoisseurs took a closer look, and began to realize that Bushmiller’s art approached its own kind of cartoon perfection, and those corny gags often achieved a striking zen quality. In its own way, it turned out Nancy was in fact the most iconic comic strip of all. (The American Heritage Dictionary actually uses a Nancy strip to illustrate its entry on “comic strip.”)

Charter members of the Nancy revival include Art Spiegelman, who published Mark Newgarden’s famous “Love’s Savage Fury” (featuring Nancy and Bazooka Joe) in an early issue of RAW; Fletcher Hanks anthologist Paul Karasik; Zippy the Pinhead creator Bill Griffith; underground publisher Denis Kitchen, who released several volumes of Nancy collections in the 1980s; Understanding Comics’ Scott McCloud, who created the “Five-Card Nancy” card game; Joe Brainard, who produced an entire Nancy book of paintings in 2008; and Andy Warhol, who produced a painting based on Nancy.

Beginning in the Winter of 2011, fans will be dancing with joy as Fantagraphics unveils an ongoing Nancy reprint project. Each volume contain a whopping full four years of daily Nancy strips (a Sunday Nancy project looms in the future), collected in a fat, square (what else, for the “squarest” strip in the world?) package designed by Jacob (Popeye, Beasts!, Willie and Joe) Covey.

This first volume will collect every daily strip from 1943 to 1946. (Fantagraphics will eventually release Nancy’s first five years, 1938-1942, but given the scarcity of archival material for these years we are giving ourselves some extra time to collate it all.)

This first Nancy volume will feature an introduction by another stellar Bushmiller fan, Daniel Clowes (from whose collection most of the strips in this volume were scanned), a biography of the artist, and much more. 432 pages of black and white comics

Nick Danger 03-16-12 08:08 PM

I remember that someone tried pushing Nancy as an artistic triumph back in the late 80s. It involved a lot of art-major doubletalk. I skimmed the book, and was not convinced.

Quack 03-16-12 09:11 PM

Did anyone get the Dennis the Menace releases Fantagraphics had released a few years ago? Looks like they only did 6 releases and fizzled out.

ytrez 03-19-12 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Quack (Post 11155401)
Did anyone get the Dennis the Menace releases Fantagraphics had released a few years ago? Looks like they only did 6 releases and fizzled out.

I got the first 3 from B&N for $9.99 on clearance. They are very nice little books.

davidh777 03-19-12 05:54 PM

I got one or two and like them. Did they leave some Dennis on the table?

Nick Danger 03-21-12 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Danger (Post 11155273)
I remember that someone tried pushing Nancy as an artistic triumph back in the late 80s. It involved a lot of art-major doubletalk. I skimmed the book, and was not convinced.

I guess the essay is now considered a classic.

http://www.laffpix.com/howtoreadnancy.pdf

davidh777 03-28-12 01:50 PM

Pogo: Bona Fide Balderdash (Vol. 2)
List Price: $39.99
Price: $23.47
You Save: $16.52 (41%)
Hardcover: 344 pages
Publisher: Fantagraphics; 1 edition (September 19, 2012)

This volume collects the years 1951-1952 dailies of the popular comic strip, with extras such as an introduction by Stan Freberg.
In November of 2011, Fantagraphics released the first volume of its much-anticipated, long-promised series reprinting in its entirety the syndicated run of Walt Kelly’s classic newspaper strip, Pogo. Pogo: Through the Wild Blue Wonder immediately became the company’s best-selling book of the last five years. Exactly one year later, the second volume, Pogo: Bona Fide Balderdash, will be released, featuring all the strips from 1951 and 1952. With sources found for the more elusive strips (in the past, our scheduling downfall), we’re confident that these collections will become an annual affair. Even though Pogo had been in syndication for less than two years as this volume begins, Kelly’s long professional experience (including seven years creating Pogo stories for comic books) had him at the peak of his powers, and this book features page after page of gorgeously drawn, hilarious vaudevillian dialogue and action among the swamp denizens, as well as Kelly’s increasingly sharp-tongued political satire — especially on display during the 1952 election season. Kelly was famous for his prolific creation of recurring characters, and by the end of this second volume, the count will already have topped over one hundred. New arrivals include Tammanany the Tiger, the voluble P.T. Bridgeport, the sinister Sarcophagus MacAbre (with his funereal speech balloons), Uncle Antler the bull moose... and Bewitched, Bothered, and Bemildred, the adorable trio of bats. The two years of daily strips in this volume have been collected before but in now long-out-of print books; and even there they were not as meticulously restored and reproduced as in this new series. Bona Fide Balderdash also reprints, literally for the first time ever in full color, the two full years of Sunday pages, also carefully restored and color-corrected, shot from the finest copies available. This second volume is once again edited and designed by the cartoonist’s daughter, Carolyn Kelly, who is also handling much of the restoration work. It includes a new introduction by the legendary author, recording artist, and satirist Stan Freberg, who was not only a friend of Kelly’s but the voice of Albert the Alligator in the I Go Pogo: Pogo for President movie. There will also be more extensive annotations by comic strip historian and expert R.C. Harvey, as well as additional historical information from writer Mark Evanier. 344

Nick Danger 04-01-12 10:23 AM

"Pogo: Through the Wild Blue Wonder immediately became the company’s best-selling book of the last five years."

I'm surprised that Pogo outsold Peanuts. I thought that Pogo was pretty much forgotten by everyone who isn't a retro comic enthusiast. Peanuts is still in the paper every day. Snoopy is still selling insurance on TV commercials.

davidh777 04-01-12 11:26 AM

Our Peanuts thread was started in 2004, so maybe the early Peanuts volumes sold more than Pogo?

Bronkster 04-01-12 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Danger (Post 11174777)
"Pogo: Through the Wild Blue Wonder immediately became the company’s best-selling book of the last five years."

I'm surprised that Pogo outsold Peanuts. I thought that Pogo was pretty much forgotten by everyone who isn't a retro comic enthusiast. Peanuts is still in the paper every day. Snoopy is still selling insurance on TV commercials.

That is surprising! But also encouraging for the remaining books. I still haven't found time to read the first volume, but hope to create that pleasure soonly!

Nick Danger 04-01-12 08:47 PM

I finally got to it in March. It's not as entertaining as the first Simon and Schuster book, but it's still very good, and you get to watch Kelly building what will be a great strip. In the old paperbacks, Kelly took the best material and then rewrote and redrew it for the books.

What really surprised me was the difference it made when he started drawing messy boxes around the panels. Changing the design of those four rectangles completely changed the feel of the strip.

JasonF 04-01-12 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Nick Danger (Post 11174777)

Speaking only for myself, the ubiquity of Peanuts is one of the reasons I don't buy the reprints. It's one of the all time great comics, but it's everywhere, so I don't feel a need to pick up the collections. Whereas with Pogo, it's been relatively hard to find for decades, so these collections are really my first opportunity to experience it.

idleprimate 04-09-12 03:34 PM

I've been really enjoying Drawn & Quarterlies Walt and Skeezix series reprinting Gasoline Alley chronologically. The clean art is amazing and looks both historic and timeless, if that makes any sense. I like the strip both as a window into the past, and as a warm funny story.

Another one I like alot is Bringing Up Father and I just started reading is IDW's recent release of Barney Google.

I picked up the Pogo volume but havent had time to look at it. I can see how it might sell better than peanuts for (as was said above) the novelty of its availability. I buy the peanuts books and they give me more joy than most strips i collect--i usually only read a few pages at a time too, so they last a long time with me.

I'd like to get the Flash Gordon discussed higher in the thread, and the huge size attracts me, but with one third of the page devoted to a strip i am far less interested, i'm kind of on the fence. It is expensive.

This thread was fun to read, and ironic to find on a movie website. I don't find many places where people are enthusiastic about comic strips, let alone old comic strips. I read dvd reviews here all the time, but happened onto the thread while googling carl barks reviews.

davidh777 04-09-12 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by idleprimate (Post 11184170)
I've been really enjoying Drawn & Quarterlies Walt and Skeezix series reprinting Gasoline Alley chronologically. The clean art is amazing and looks both historic and timeless, if that makes any sense. I like the strip both as a window into the past, and as a warm funny story.

Another one I like alot is Bringing Up Father and I just started reading is IDW's recent release of Barney Google.

I picked up the Pogo volume but havent had time to look at it. I can see how it might sell better than peanuts for (as was said above) the novelty of its availability. I buy the peanuts books and they give me more joy than most strips i collect--i usually only read a few pages at a time too, so they last a long time with me.

I'd like to get the Flash Gordon discussed higher in the thread, and the huge size attracts me, but with one third of the page devoted to a strip i am far less interested, i'm kind of on the fence. It is expensive.

This thread was fun to read, and ironic to find on a movie website. I don't find many places where people are enthusiastic about comic strips, let alone old comic strips. I read dvd reviews here all the time, but happened onto the thread while googling carl barks reviews.

Thanks for participating, and welcome to the forum! :wave: Yes, we talk comics here (you probably already found the Barks thread) and much more.

idleprimate 04-09-12 06:56 PM

Thanks for the welcome! I did find the Barks thread, and as a result I just ordered Lost in the Andes!