DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Comic Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk-57/)
-   -   Classic/retro comic strips thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk/549456-classic-retro-comic-strips-thread.html)

Trevor 07-04-15 12:10 PM

Re: Classic/retro comic strips thread

Please forgive the multi-thread cross post everyone, but we're doing a Christmas in July gift exchange here in Comic Book Talk and wanted to give everyone a chance to participate.

Everyone will be given a name, you'll PM each other addresses, and send a little mystery gift bag of comics or comic-related trinkets.

Don't reply in this thread, but please see the below thread for more details and to sign up.
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-...-exchange.html

Nick Danger 07-04-15 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777 (Post 12521433)
My favorite period is mid-'60s to early '70s. I like the story arcs, and by that time the key characters have been introduced.

I would go with late 50s to late 60s. I stopped laughing when I read the volumes from the early 70s.

davidh777 07-04-15 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Nick Danger (Post 12527106)
I would go with late 50s to late 60s. I stopped laughing when I read the volumes from the early 70s.

Without having the strips in front of me, I almost said "touching into the '70s." According to wiki, Rerun was introduced in '73, and that's kind of a demarcation point for me.

Neil M. 08-20-15 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Neil M. (Post 12516121)
There's only 14 months of strips left for the final volume of Peanuts. And I read on another forum that they're including the entire run of Li'l Folks in Volume 25. It doesn't sound like a 26th book is going to be made at this point. I was hoping that the 26th book would be a hardcover of the Li'l Beginnings book that was released back in 2004.

Just a little update. I heard a rumor that there is going to be a 26th volume that contains unreleased Schultz art and interviews. I would assume it will be collected in a slipcase with volume 25. Again, just a rumor.

On another subject, I read the Spider-Man book from LOAC. Really enjoyed it. Especially after paying $14.99 for it. I see that Volume 2 is scheduled to be released before the end of the year.

bmasters1981 08-21-15 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Neil M. (Post 12566999)
Just a little update. I heard a rumor that there is going to be a 26th volume that contains unreleased Schultz art and interviews. I would assume it will be collected in a slipcase with volume 25. Again, just a rumor.

If that rumor turns out to be true, then that would be a great way to fill out a 2-volume set.

Quack 08-21-15 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by bmasters1981 (Post 12567162)
If that rumor turns out to be true, then that would be a great way to fill out a 2-volume set.

I've been after Fantagraphics for any kind of answer about if the last volume will come with a slipcase for consistency, haven't heard a peep and I've been hounding them for a while.

davidh777 08-22-15 07:50 PM

This reminds me I still need to read my copy of Cannon...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...4,203,200_.jpg

Wallace Wood Presents Shattuck
Publisher: Fantagraphics
Hardcover – April 17, 2016

In 1972, Wallace Wood created Shattuck, a rarely seen Western comic strip, assisted by soon-to-be great cartoonists Dave Cockrum (X-Men) and Howard Chaykin (Star Wars, Punisher). Full of gun-toting femmes fatale, fast-drawing lawmen, and snarling outlaws, this spurs 'n' saddles romp will be published in the same beautifully designed and affordable format as Fantagraphics’s best-selling Cannon. Four-color illustrations throughout

Walt Disney's Donald Duck: The Daily Newspaper Comics Volume 1
Hardcover: 272 pages
Publisher: IDW Publishing
September 17, 2015

From the Disney Vaults! The early Donald Duck daily strips are collected for the first time ever! The daily newspaper comics premiered on February 7, 1938, and within eight weeks became the all-time fastest growing syndicated comic strip in the world. This premiere volume includes more than 750 sequential daily comic strips from 1938 to 1940 drawn by Al Taliaferro and written by Bob Karp, and reproduced from pristine original material in the Disney Vaults!

Nick Danger 10-05-15 06:44 PM

Amazon sent me a message saying that Pogo Volume 4 got pushed back a year to November 2016. Is anyone familiar enough with Fantagraphics to know what's happening?

Neil M. 10-05-15 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Nick Danger (Post 12608502)
Amazon sent me a message saying that Pogo Volume 4 got pushed back a year to November 2016. Is anyone familiar enough with Fantagraphics to know what's happening?

I don't even see it on Amazon. I know they've had issues with listings in the past but it's possible that Pogo is off the schedule right now. Wasn't volume 3 released back in 2014? It seems like I've been waiting for the slipcased release forever.

Nick Danger 10-06-15 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Neil M. (Post 12608574)
I don't even see it on Amazon. I know they've had issues with listings in the past but it's possible that Pogo is off the schedule right now. Wasn't volume 3 released back in 2014? It seems like I've been waiting for the slipcased release forever.

Yes. Volume 3 was November 2014.

Volume 4 was scheduled for November 2015 until this announcement.

Trevor 10-06-15 09:12 PM

That's what I hate about these classic reprints. It seems like way too often they start and then never finish. And if you wait awhile to make sure they finish, then the early volumes are oop and expensive.

Preterite 10-07-15 01:48 PM

Or the title transfers to a new publisher, who feels obligated to start from scratch... and then cancels the series at the exact point the last publisher did.

I picked up a copy of this on Monday:

I've been wanting to try Terry and the Pirates since forever, but could never find a good starting point at a reasonable price. This collection includes the first nine months of both the Sunday color and daily B&W strips, which were separate continuities. The dust jacket is a little banged up, but for seven bucks it was an instant purchase for me.

Nick Danger 01-11-16 04:07 PM

It's a year late, but I got Polly and Her Pals Volume 2, 1928-1930!

davidh777 10-19-16 02:02 PM

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....4,203,200_.jpg

Star Hawks, Vol. 1 Hardcover – March 21, 2017
by Ron Goulart (Author), Dean Mullaney (Editor), Gil Kane (Artist)
Hardcover: 320 pages
Publisher: IDW Publishing (March 21, 2017)

The classic 1970s science fiction newspaper strip created by Ron Goulart and Gil Kane is coming back in a big way. The only comic strip to be produced in a two-tier format, the Library of American Comics edition will reproduce each strip on its own page so readers can relish Kane’s incredible achievement. Nearly 40 years after its debut, Star Hawks still looks fresh and exciting. This first of three volumes reprints more than 300 double-sized strips and includes an introduction by Ron Goulart.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....W%2BCuUwjL.jpg

Red Barry: Undercover Man Volume 1 Hardcover – January 10, 2017
by Will Gould (Author, Artist)
Hardcover: 284 pages
Publisher: IDW Publishing (January 10, 2017)

Red Barry was one of the most visually innovative adventure strips of the mid-1930s, combining fluid brushwork and noir shadows (in bold blues and purples) with figures that were constantly in motion, plus a level of violence that brought cries of protest from its syndicate. Red Barry and Secret Agent X-9 were King Features’ answers to the Tribune Syndicate’s popular Dick Tracy by Chester Gould. While X-9 continued for decades under hands of various quality, Red Barry by Will Gould (no relation to Chester) was an auteur’s vision that lasted less than four years (primarily because Gould couldn’t meet his deadlines). Regardless, it is today considered one of comics history’s great unsung masterpieces, one which famed mystery writer Anthony Boucher said was “the only detectives strip…worthy of any consideration from my scholarly viewpoint.” This two-volume series will reprint the complete dailies and color Sundays.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....4,203,200_.jpg

Mandrake the Magician: The Dailies Volume 1 - The Cobra Hardcover – December 20, 2016
by Lee Falk (Author), Phil Davies (Illustrator)
Hardcover: 240 pages
Publisher: Titan Comics (December 20, 2016)

The collected daily adventure comic strips of arguably the world's FIRST comic-strip, costumed, crime-fighter - Mandrake the Magician!

A heady mix of action, adventure, high jinx and drama!

These are the daily newspaper comic strips that first heralded the era of the costumed crime fighter.

Join Mandrake The Magician and his ever-faithful companion and trusty side-kick, Lothar as they set on in search of high adventure in strange lands, strange dimensions and even stranger planets with nothing more than a top hat, a wand and the immense strength of Lothar, African Prince to save the day!

Starting from the very beginning in 1934, these are the original adventures of the famed magician and amateur detective, Mandrake the Magician. Join him as he uses his incredible hypnotic abilities and mysterious magical skills to combat criminal geniuses gangsters, mad scientists, evil despots and even men from the Moon! This collection introduces Mandrake's nemesis, The Cobra a master of disguise and an evil genius to boot! This book marks the beginning of a criminal campaign that would last the entire life of the Mandrake saga.
Mandrake images:

The Valeyard 11-04-16 08:43 PM

Very excited for this one - The Star Wars newspaper strips!!

https://s22.postimg.org/hi21peyyp/61wr_Da8_J80_L.jpg

Star Wars (Book 1)
Hardcover: 260 pages
Publisher: IDW Publishing (April 25, 2017)

The first of three volumes that present for the first time ever the classic Star Wars newspaper strip from 1979-1984 in its complete format--including each Sunday title header and "bonus" panels in their meticulously restored original color. Initially the color Sundays and B&W dailies told separate stories, but within six months the incomparable Russ Manning merged the adventures to tell brand new epic seven-days-a-week sagas that rivaled the best science fiction comics of all time. Volume One contains 575 sequential comic strips from the strip’s premiere on March 11, 1979 to October 5, 1980.

Dark Horse released a few in comic book format back in the 90s. But never the entire run. I still have a stack of strips cut out from the newspapers.

Paul_SD 11-04-16 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by The Valeyard (Post 12939024)
Very excited for this one - The Star Wars newspaper strips!!

https://s22.postimg.org/hi21peyyp/61wr_Da8_J80_L.jpg

Star Wars (Book 1)
Hardcover: 260 pages
Publisher: IDW Publishing (April 25, 2017)

Kinda sad (as in pathetic) that one of my most vivid memories of being 11/12 is of the Sunday this strip first appeared. A couple of the things that initially struck me
- while I had always been a fan of that more sedate, clean style espoused by artists like Schaffenberg, Manning and others, the art for that first strip looked a little too simple and kid friendly for me. Closer to the character than the iconoclastic Infantino art found in the Marvel monthly, but still nothing that knocked my socks off (like Al Williamson's would a year later for the ESB adaptation)
- The writing also didn't grab me. The concessions made for exposition purpose, and the nature of his "don't get uppity with me you rust bucket" schtick gave Threepio a voice that sounded totally false to me. Even at that age I was dismissing this as bad fan fic.

I'm sure I kept reading the strip as it was free, but I honestly have no recollection of the ensuing storyline or any plot points thereafter. All I remember is the initial Sunday introduction and my "Meh" reaction.

Will be looking to pick this up though and see if the rest does jog any further memories.

The Valeyard 11-06-16 05:13 AM

I was 9 when the strip started and I ate that shit up. For me, the first year or so of the strip feels like a throwback to the sci-fi strips of the 30s. It was more Star Wars to me than the Marvel comic. When Williamson came on, I started to lose interest. I didn't appreciate his run until the Dark Horse reprints.

Bronkster 11-25-16 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Nick Danger (Post 12608502)

Was checking Amazon and noticed the date is now March, 2017. It also lists this as book 4 of 4! What?! So much for the "complete" run of Pogo coming out. :sad:

davidh777 11-25-16 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Bronkster (Post 12955794)
Was checking Amazon and noticed the date is now March, 2017. It also lists this as book 4 of 4! What?! So much for the "complete" run of Pogo coming out. :sad:

Are you looking at the thing that says "Book 4 of 4 in the Pogo: The Complete Syndicated Comic Strips Series"? I wouldn't worry about that, as it probably just reflects what they have on their site right now. Or are you looking at something else?

I agree that numerous delays are never a good thing, though.

Bronkster 11-25-16 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777 (Post 12955799)
Are you looking at the thing that says "Book 4 of 4 in the Pogo: The Complete Syndicated Comic Strips Series"? I wouldn't worry about that, as it probably just reflects what they have on their site right now. Or are you looking at something else?

I agree that numerous delays are never a good thing, though.

Yeah, that's what I saw. The first 3 are now listed (maybe always and I didn't notice?) as X of 4. Given the delays, I'm - sadly - guessing that the sales aren't good enough to continue. Hope I'm wrong!

Nick Danger 11-25-16 07:37 PM

If you're in a hurry, the slipcover set of volumes 3 and 4 are due to be released December 27. :D

davidh777 11-25-16 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Bronkster (Post 12955816)
Yeah, that's what I saw. The first 3 are now listed (maybe always and I didn't notice?) as X of 4. Given the delays, I'm - sadly - guessing that the sales aren't good enough to continue. Hope I'm wrong!

That's always a concern, but let's hope that #4 comes out according to this latest schedule and things proceed regularly from there. I do have more faith in Fantagraphics than I'd have in some other publishers.

brayzie 12-05-16 04:49 PM

I thought the Batman daily strips were pretty entertaining.

Trevor 12-05-16 08:40 PM

I've sampled some of the much earlier Pogo reprints, both strip and comics. Always imagined it to be something that I fully fall in love with someday, just waiting for a complete way to get it. Almost bought the slipcase set of 1&2 recently, but now I'm hesitant.

John Pannozzi 12-07-16 06:44 PM

How many newspaper strips related to Marvel properties have there been?

I count:

Willie Lumpkin (not produced by Marvel, but Stan Lee wrote it and it inspired the Fantastic 4 character of the same name, so I'm including it)

The Amazing Spider-Man

Howard the Duck

The Incredible Hulk

Are there anymore? I'd also like to make a list of DC-related strips.