DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Comic Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk-57/)
-   -   Batman is going to be killed? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk/544486-batman-going-killed.html)

dx23 11-26-08 09:58 AM

Batman is going to be killed?

I just read this:

Batman to be killed off after 70 years
Batman is to be killed off after 70 years, the comic's writer has revealed.

By Urmee Khan
Last Updated: 1:12PM GMT 25 Nov 2008
Batman: Speculation is rife the super hero is to be killed off after 70 years
Batman RIP to see the end of Bruce Wayne as Batman? Photo: WARNER BROS

'Batman RIP' will see "the end of Bruce Wayne as Batman", according to Grant Morrison.

There are rumours that Batman will suffer a gruesome end when his sidekick Robin goes over to "the dark side" and destroys him in a terrible betrayal.

Batman, alter ego of Bruce Wayne a wealthy industrialist, operates in the American Gotham City.

Others speculate that Wayne may either retire from his duties or be killed by a mystery villain known as the Black Glove.

His fate will be revealed in the latest issue of DC Comic's Batman, published on 26 November.

Either way, his demise will lead to a hunt for a replacement.

"What I am doing is a fate worse than death, things that no one would expect to happen to these guys at all," Mr Morrison told Comic Book Resources.

Mr Morrison, the Scottish writer, has written storylines for comics including X-Men for Marvel and Superman for DC Comics. He took over writing the Batman series for DC in 2006.

Bruce Wayne has given up the Caped Crusader mantle once before. In the 'Knightfall' storyline, Batman's back was broken by villain Bane, causing Wayne to recruit Jean-Paul Valley to replace him.

Mr Morrison declined to reveal who the new Batman would be, but the frontrunners include Tim Drake who has been Robin since 1991 and Dick Grayson - the original Boy Wonder.

It is not the first time a superhero has met an unfortunate end in the comic world.

Last year, Captain America was killed after being shot by a sniper in New York.

Superman's death in 1992 at the hands of Doomsday became the biggest selling Superman comic in history. He was later resurrected.

Batman was co-created by artist Bob Kane and writer Bill Finger for DC Comics. The character first appeared in Detective Comics in May 1939.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...-70-years.html

Gimmicks like this is one of the many reasons why comics are irrelevant today.

reverie 11-26-08 11:29 AM

If characters actually stayed dead in comics, I'd care.

fujishig 11-26-08 11:30 AM

This is the biggest spoiler in a title since Death of the New Gods... :)

Maxflier 11-26-08 11:44 AM

And ironically one of those listed as a possible replacement was also "killed" many years ago...

clappj 11-26-08 02:08 PM

It doesn't say he's going to die, but rather insinuates that something really bad is going to happen to him to quit/retire.
That's what I got out of it anyway.

DonnachaOne 11-26-08 02:10 PM

Yawn. BlabberblabberblabberGothamNeedsItsOnlyHopeblabberblabberblabberLazarusPitblabberblabberblabber

Giantrobo 11-26-08 02:17 PM

I'm buying all the connected issues but I haven't started reading yet.

resinrats 11-26-08 09:21 PM

Considering there is no way DC is going to kill one of their 2 top characters (Batman & Superman), there is nothing to worry about. So sure someone will wear the batsuit for a bunch of issues but we all know Bruce Wayne will be back at Batman before the end of 2009. Just like Superman's 'death', it is all planned out. Whoever puts on the Batsuit won't be ready to be Batman, screw it up somehow & Bruce will have to clean up their mess.

I think it would be more dramatic for DC, if Bruce decided to try to retire and live a normal live & show him dealing with inactivity instead of saying he is dead and then a writer has to come up with some inventive way he escaped or how it is a big conspiracy of people knowing (even though in issues before, the act like they think he is dead).

Nick Danger 11-27-08 06:29 AM

That would be cool. Batman receives a career-ending injury, and is confined to playing Bruce Wayne all day, every day.

Superboy 11-27-08 07:51 AM

Grant Morrison really needs to learn what CLARITY is when he's writing a comic.

Geddlo 11-27-08 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Maxflier (Post 9095822)
And ironically one of those listed as a possible replacement was also "killed" many years ago...

I think you're talking about Robin number 2 Jason Todd.

The end of this current arc in Batman didn't really drive home what Morrison has been trying to do though. It is very inconclusive as to whether Bruce would give up being Batman or not. Also, Black Glove is an organization and not a singular person (I hate reading articles by people who don't know what they are talking about).

Geddlo 11-27-08 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Superboy (Post 9097297)
Grant Morrison really needs to learn what CLARITY is when he's writing a comic.

Yes. Hahaha

Sonny Corinthos 11-27-08 10:27 AM

:down: Been there, done that in the 'Knightfall' storyline. It's crap like this that made me stop collecting comics in the early to mid 90's.

movieking 11-27-08 11:20 AM

So as this was supposed to be released yesterday, according to the article, what happened?

mrglass 11-27-08 02:45 PM

This does a good job of summarizing everything:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_rip

Maxflier 11-27-08 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Geddlo (Post 9097505)
I think you're talking about Robin number 2 Jason Todd.

You're right, I got them mixed up.
But the point is death means nothing in comic books anyways.

Superboy 11-27-08 06:55 PM

Here's my conundrum with Grant Morrison - He has great concepts, but for some reason they always seem to fall short in his mainstream books. Zenith and The Invisibles are two of my absolute FAVORITE comic works that i've ever read. That subversive, counter-culture theme that resonates throughout the book really hit a home run in terms of execution.

Regardless, i've really loved his run on Batman up to this storyline. His pop-culture take on Batman was a really original spin on Batman. That and he's really really good at writing Batman at his best: sarcastic.

Geddlo 11-27-08 08:04 PM

One of the problems to me was that there's this group that tried to beat Batman by outpreparing him but Batman ended up being prepared for that situation too.

dx23 11-27-08 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by resinrats (Post 9096940)
Considering there is no way DC is going to kill one of their 2 top characters (Batman & Superman), there is nothing to worry about. So sure someone will wear the batsuit for a bunch of issues but we all know Bruce Wayne will be back at Batman before the end of 2009. Just like Superman's 'death', it is all planned out. Whoever puts on the Batsuit won't be ready to be Batman, screw it up somehow & Bruce will have to clean up their mess.

I think it would be more dramatic for DC, if Bruce decided to try to retire and live a normal live & show him dealing with inactivity instead of saying he is dead and then a writer has to come up with some inventive way he escaped or how it is a big conspiracy of people knowing (even though in issues before, the act like they think he is dead).

The animated series Batman Beyond did an incredible job showing a retired Bruce Wayne. Age caught up to Bruce Wayne, so he had to retire and Gotham was really affected by it. Terry McGinnis took over the mantle by chance and the show showed how Bruce still dealt with being "retired" and how much the world needed a Batman.

dx23 11-27-08 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by mrglass (Post 9097815)
This does a good job of summarizing everything:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_rip

This sound really lame. I haven't read any yet, but the plot and summary aren't enticing me to pick it up. This is going to fall as flat as the Spider-Clone Saga.

I'm going to give my 2 cents soon on the comic book business when I get all my thoughts together, but one thing I can say is that one of the main problems the business has is pulling stunts like this. The only thing they do is alienate fans.

Patman 11-27-08 11:58 PM

I hated that there were 2 different storylines in Batman and Detective during the RIP-off "crossover" business. It got really confusing to keep up with both storylines and pretend that it all was going to come together by the end, but it's just a jumbled mess.

Superboy 11-28-08 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by dx23 (Post 9098207)
The animated series Batman Beyond did an incredible job showing a retired Bruce Wayne. Age caught up to Bruce Wayne, so he had to retire and Gotham was really affected by it. Terry McGinnis took over the mantle by chance and the show showed how Bruce still dealt with being "retired" and how much the world needed a Batman.

Yeah, except Terry was incredibly irritating. Spider-man wasn't even that whiny.

Giantrobo 11-28-08 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by dx23 (Post 9098207)

Yep. I was going to mention Batman Beyond when Nick Danger posted.

Mind you, The "Batman Beyond Universe" is "Earth-12" of the new Multiverse.

Originally Posted by Superboy (Post 9098567)
Yeah, except Terry was incredibly irritating. Spider-man wasn't even that whiny.

He was young. Hell, he was no more annoying than young Kal-El back in Smallville. ;)

stingermck 11-28-08 03:01 PM

Heart of Hush was a great story, RIP.....eh I don't like the outcome. It seems silly to 'retire' Bruce even temporally in the same year with The Dark Knight, and just a few weeks from its home video release, just in case new fans walk into a shop wanting to read some Bats.

resinrats 11-29-08 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 9098699)
Mind you, The "Batman Beyond Universe" is "Earth-12" of the new Multiverse.

What is it with DC and their 'Multiverse' crap" I've read some Wiki articles on DC character and it confused the hell out of me on some of the stories. Some people come from one universe and stay in another then effect another universe. Sounds like the Multiverse is DC's way to hide the fact they have screwed up the DC universe so much they hid retcons by saying it took place in some alternate universe. Why even bother to try to bring cartoons, movies, whatever non-comic media stuff into the comic universe? I'm totally fine thinking Batman cartoons don't count in comics & comic stories don't count towards cartoons.

DC should just say F it and have Comic Batman meet the Batmen from: Batman Beyond, The Batman, Batman the Animated series, Superfriend Batman, 40's serials Batman, Michael Keaton, George Clooney, Christian Bale, Adam West, Brave & Bold Batman, Scooby-Doo Movie Batman & whatever other ones are out there. They all meet up in the comic univers and beat the shit out of the alernate Jokers: Comic, Superfriend, etc.