Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

What Are You Reading This Week? (9/8/08 - 9/14/08)

Old 09-08-08, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

What Are You Reading This Week? (9/8/08 - 9/14/08)

They do this up in the main section for what we're watching, so I thought I'd do a reading one. If nobody else takes part, at least I can keep track of what I'm reading.

Monday
Feature Comics #36
Jumbo Comics #19

Tuesday
National Comics #3

Wednesday
Daring Mystery Comics #6

Thursday
Adventure Comics #53
Superman #6
Flash Comics #9

Friday
All-American Comics #18
Batman #2

Saturday

Sunday
Action Comics #28
More Fun Comics #59
Detective Comics #43
Adventure Comics #54
----October 1940----
Flash Comics #10
Feature Comics #37
Crack Comics #6

Last edited by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi; 09-14-08 at 07:02 PM.
Old 09-08-08, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Interesting golden age stuff there! I don't mean to sidetrack your thread but there don't appear to be many people here into the older comics - so I'm curious. Are those just random issues you picked up somewhere, or part of a larger collection?

As for my daily reading, I'm working on a run of Superman comics from the late 1970s thru mid '80s. Today was issues 372 and 373 - really bad stuff, lemme tell ya!
Old 09-08-08, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This week I'm catching up on stuff that came out last week:

Amazing Spiderman 570 Monkey var
Angel After the Fall 12
Army of Darkness Long Road 12
Buffy the Vampire Slayer 18
Eternals 4
Fringe 1
Invincible Iron Man 5
Secret Invasion Front Line 3
Spiderman Loves Mary Jane 2.2
Trinity 14
Venom Dark Origin 2
Old 09-08-08, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Bronkster View Post
Interesting golden age stuff there! I don't mean to sidetrack your thread but there don't appear to be many people here into the older comics - so I'm curious. Are those just random issues you picked up somewhere, or part of a larger collection?

As for my daily reading, I'm working on a run of Superman comics from the late 1970s thru mid '80s. Today was issues 372 and 373 - really bad stuff, lemme tell ya!
I invite discussion in this thread. Not a problem.

A guy I worked with was into comics and I wasn't. Eventually I decided I wanted to read some Spider-Man, starting from the beginning, along with the Batman Detective stuff.

It ended up where I was finding tons of stuff just for him and also learning about House of M and Civil War, stuff like that. I eventually decided I'd start at the beginning of Marvel and DC along with some random stuff thrown in.

I bought some stuff, the Marvel DVD collections were a good start, and he gave me some dvds of stuff that would be harder to find or real expensive to buy along with his old stuff he doesn't look at anymore.

Finding older Marvel stuff is a lot harder than DC, I've found. As of today I'm reading stuff from September, 1940 and I have a long way to go to catch up to the stuff coming out now which I get but refuse to read until I get there.

It gives me something to do
Old 09-09-08, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers View Post
Finding older Marvel stuff is a lot harder than DC, I've found. As of today I'm reading stuff from September, 1940 and I have a long way to go to catch up to the stuff coming out now which I get but refuse to read until I get there.
Wow... how long do you think it's going to take you to "catch up," knowing that there are like 5 or 6 new Spidey titles coming out each month now (not sure what else you're collecting)? What a great idea, though I don't think I would have the patience to do it, especially considering how many retcons there have been over the years.

Heck, I haven't even gotten through a year's worth of X-men titles from the Uncanny X-men DVD-rom I bought...

edited to add:
I'm reading Avengers: The Initiative v. 2 this week. As I collect everything Marvel in trades or HCs only, this is my first exposure to the whole Skrull invasion, so I'm looking forward to it.

Last edited by fujishig; 09-09-08 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-09-08, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Wow... how long do you think it's going to take you to "catch up," knowing that there are like 5 or 6 new Spidey titles coming out each month now (not sure what else you're collecting)? What a great idea, though I don't think I would have the patience to do it, especially considering how many retcons there have been over the years.

Heck, I haven't even gotten through a year's worth of X-men titles from the Uncanny X-men DVD-rom I bought...
I switched from just Spidey and Detective to everything Marvel and DC have put out.

It's going to take forever to catch up and the only thing helping me is the comics got shorter today than they did back then. Eventually I'll get to a point where it'll help. I'm planning on having to spend over a decade to catch up.

I also have a backlog of over 4,300 unwatched movies I going through. I'll probably have both the movies and comics done at the same time. Heck, last month I managed to come out about 15 movies ahead. At that rate I'll only need 24 years
Old 09-10-08, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This should be easy for me:

MONDAY 9/8
Essential Daredevil Vol. 1

TUESDAY 9/9
Essential Daredevil Vol. 1 (continued)

WEDNESDAY 9/10
Essential Daredevil Vol. 1 (continued)

THURSDAY 9/11

FRIDAY 9/12

SATURDAY 9/13

SUNDAY 9/14

Last edited by dadaluholla; 09-11-08 at 07:35 AM.
Old 09-10-08, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think I could read everything that Marvel and DC came out with every week if I just took the current stuff. And I'm just talking the time it would take to read things, not even the money/space issues. You've gotta have some boundaries, right?

Finished up Avengers: Initiative v.2 last night: there was really no Secret Invasion tie in. Ah well. Next up: The Best of the Legion Outpost from TwoMorrows publishing (not a comic, but comic-based) and maybe delve into the John Romita Jr. Modern Masters book.
Old 09-10-08, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers View Post
I switched from just Spidey and Detective to everything Marvel and DC have put out.
That is a cool project you've got going on, but borderline insane! Reading that many comics would drive me batty at least. Good luck on your journey. I for one hope you stick it out.
Old 09-11-08, 01:49 PM

I saw this thread a little late. Great idea!

Sunday: 100 Girls, Vol. 1

Monday: House of Mystery, #5, Angel: ATF, #12

Tuesday: Universal War One, #1

Wednesday: Universal War One, #2

Thursday:

Friday:

Saturday: