Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

September/October/November General Comic Discussion (Autumn Edition)

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Old 08-31-08, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think the Summer "General Comic Discussion" went pretty well, so here is your new version for the Autumn season. Covering the months of September, October, and November, this is the thread for all general commentary relating to the world of comics. Enjoy!

Personally, I haven't been to my comic shop since MAY, so I'm a little bit behind. Sheesh.
Old 09-02-08, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

So was anyone able to get Final Crisis: Requiem #1 or the 2nd Printing? I got screwed twice on this one.

I know lotsa uze guys are skipping the Final Crisis stuff but I thought I'd ask anyway.
Old 09-02-08, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
So was anyone able to get Final Crisis: Requiem #1 or the 2nd Printing? I got screwed twice on this one.

I know lotsa uze guys are skipping the Final Crisis stuff but I thought I'd ask anyway.
My local store probably has/had it because they stock piles of stuff, but I'm passing on everything except the main series - and am darn tempted to not bother finishing that.

Ambush Bug
Old 09-02-08, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Still going through my graphic novel/HC pile:

I complained about the Annihilation Conquest HC 2 lacking some of the Nova stories that tied directly into how he came back into the conflict, but after reading the second Nova trade, I can see why they weren't included... it was almost like they were treading water waiting for Conquest to catch up. I still like seeing the more obscure side of the galaxy in the Marvel Universe, though I'm not sure what to think of the new "Guardians of the Galaxy."

Mighty Avengers HC 2: Woah... I should've looked closer at the solicitations for this. I like Bagley well enough, but the transition from Cho to Bagley is... jarring, to say the least. And I wasn't exactly collecting this for the story, which still seems to have this really weird thought balloon concept that just makes it unreadable. Does this get any better, or am I better off not getting any more?

The Order v. 2: Unfortunately killed before it's time. I'm not sure if it's because they were desperately trying to wrap it up before the series was canceled, but this trade had very little of what I liked about the first trade, mainly the relationships between the team members and the pretty unique aspect of the Initiative concept in LA. Oh well.

Jack of Fables v. 1: Finally caught up with the Fables trades, so started in on Jack of Fables... cool offshoot, decent art. I was afraid we'd lose the diversity of Fabledom once the solo book started, but the plot for this trade, at least, kept it in check.

Still working on: Josh Whedon's tpb. Oh, I think the book is called Runaways, though you'd barely know it from the cover.

Finishing all of this up just in time for my next (ever shrinking) monthly shipment, which should be in this week...
Old 09-02-08, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For those who get their comics at Local Comic Stores, the new stuff will be delayed until Thursday due to the holiday (so says my Local Comic Store, anyway).
Old 09-03-08, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Mighty Avengers HC 2: Woah... I should've looked closer at the solicitations for this. I like Bagley well enough, but the transition from Cho to Bagley is... jarring, to say the least. And I wasn't exactly collecting this for the story, which still seems to have this really weird thought balloon concept that just makes it unreadable. Does this get any better, or am I better off not getting any more?
I just finished vol 1 last night and disliked the thought balloons too. Thought balloons have disappeared from modern comics as comic book writers have consciously tried to write screenplays for comic books. Maybe it all started when screen writers started writing comic books after the success of the first Batman movie. I don't know. Regardless, Bendis' efforts to bring back thought balloons are a complete failure. He's trying to be clever and funny but ends up being redundant and annoying. These aren't the thought balloons of old and I wish they'd go away again.
Old 09-03-08, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Right, I remember when people were talking about this on this board, and about the death of thought balloons. But you're right, these are not the old thought balloons, these are more extraneous thoughts that are supposed to be funny (and honestly sometimes they are), but more often then not are just annoying to read through. It's something that would work better, I think, on a live sitcom or something where you don't have to read everything.
Old 09-03-08, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Mighty Avengers is a weird one because the series hasn't really had the time to find it's feet yet. We had the Ultron story line, which dovetailed into the Doom stuff, and then it's been all Secret Invasion stuff after that. I still don't think anyone knows what this book is or will be, yet.

I liked the thought balloons myself, but they did turn into a gimmick rather quickly.

ETA: You know, I know it's not very good. In fact it reads like Mary-Sue fanfic that doesn't gel with Marvel's mainline-Uni at all, but I still can't help the fact that I'm enjoying the Hulk. Does that make me a bad person?

Last edited by boredsilly; 09-04-08 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-05-08, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I only picked up one comic today. ONE! I don't think that's ever happened before. For those of you who are curious, it was Spider-man.

Almost grabbed the X-men: Manifest Destiny book, but I'm getting burned out on X-men YetAnotherEventThatChangesMutantkindForAllTime. With all the X-book cross-overs coming up, I'll probably only be getting X-Factor and maybe Astonishing X-men.
Old 09-05-08, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Secret Six
Old 09-05-08, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Rogue588 View Post
Secret Six

Really? That's encouraging. I read their Mini and totally loved it.
Old 09-12-08, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Batman comic bosses are pulping tens of thousands of copies of the latest Dark Knight adventure because a printing error has left it filled with swear words.

Profanities that were meant to be blacked out to spare the blushes of young readers were not printed dark enough - meaning every "f**k" and "shit" in Allstar Batman + Robin the Boywonder number 10 is exposed.

DC comics has sent out the order to stores around the Us to destroy the book.

A spokesperson tells the New York Post, "As soon as the problem was discovered, we quickly asked retailers to pull the issue. We apologise to our retailers and fans for any offence and inconvenience."

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni0565626/
Old 09-12-08, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Holy shit, Batman!
Old 09-13-08, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Boo! Hissss! I want my All Star now!
Old 09-13-08, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Did I order that one?

Anyway, any of you see that new Vertigo Encyclopedia?
Old 09-15-08, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

and the folks on ebay are making a killing - check out the auction ending prices for all star batman and robin #10. from $25 to over $150 for the variant cover.
Old 09-15-08, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kms_md View Post
and the folks on ebay are making a killing - check out the auction ending prices for all star batman and robin #10. from $25 to over $150 for the variant cover.
Although it might be fun to own just for the novelty of the screw-up, I doubt the value will hold long. Ebay is great to watch for kneejerk reactions.

A few years ago, there was an issue of Wolverine (#131) that had a misprint calling Sabertooth a "****". The issue was recalled, but I was lucky enough to get one of the originals before the recall. It's value now? $2.50. Woof! What an investment!

Funny, he doesn't look Jewish.

edited to add: it appears the forum automatically censors the offending word. oops.

my apologies if any of this discussion and/or comments are not P.C.
Old 09-16-08, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, Cap 25 had the same flurry of action that died down pretty quickly as well. It has to make you wonder what some of the buyers on eBay are thinking.
Old 09-17-08, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They probably don't realize then when 250,000 to 1 million of something is made, that it's not considered rare.
Old 09-18-08, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I did. Looks nice but I didn't flip through.
Old 09-18-08, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Huh, Amazon has a "trailer" up for the book

http://www.amazon.com/Vertigo-Encycl.../dp/0756641225
Old 09-18-08, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Huh, Amazon has a "trailer" up for the book

http://www.amazon.com/Vertigo-Encycl.../dp/0756641225
At 7 minutes long I think they should call it a Featurette.

I liked the DC Encyclopedia and I like this but I doubt I'll ever buy either one. I just thumb through them at Border's and Barnes & Noble.
Old 09-21-08, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I own the DC Encyclopedia and it's awesome! Sure, Wikipedia makes this sort of thing obsolete, but it's a cool thing to flip through around when you're on hold or something. I also have the Batman and Spiderman DK books Ultimate Guides...because I love comic coffee table books. The best one ever is easily Batman: Animated. That shit is so boss.
Old 09-22-08, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by boredsilly View Post
The best one ever is easily Batman: Animated.
agreed.
Old 09-22-08, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just finished reading the first HC of Spider-man Loves Mary Jane (actually, got the second one this month, so figured I'd finally read the 1st one).

While it is far outside normal continuity (based on just the timeline of the series alone), I liked it a lot. It helped that there was continuity throughout the whole book, though I guess Miyazawa leaves in the middle of HC 2. A nice, non action oriented book, that probably isn't even on the radar of the kids that would probably appreciate this best. I can't believe this is the same Mckeever who's Teen Titans seems like such a mess.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.