DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Comic Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk-57/)
-   -   Joss Whedon's Runaways HC (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk/537668-joss-whedons-runaways-hc.html)

rmick 08-13-08 02:58 PM

Joss Whedon's Runaways HC

After having picked up the first three oversized hardcovers of Runaways from Amazon, I was disappointed to find that the next volume not only was not oversized, but also had a hideous cover (is it maybe the same as the comic shop edition):

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...aL._SS500_.jpg

Anyone know what is under the dust jacket, or how I can somehow swap for the comic shop edition instead of this hideous book store edition?

Adam Tyner 08-13-08 03:08 PM

All of Marvel's "premiere edition" hardcovers are this size. There isn't one to match your other hardcovers right now -- you'll have to wait for the next 12-to-however-many-issues hardcover.

The cover under the dust jacket is pure white with the Runaways logo in gold.

rmick 08-13-08 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
All of Marvel's "premiere edition" hardcovers are this size. There isn't one to match your other hardcovers right now -- you'll have to wait for the next 12-to-however-many-issues hardcover.

The cover under the dust jacket is pure white with the Runaways logo in gold.

Hmmm.... do you think that with the series starting over at #1 that there will be another oversized hardcover? Just seems like a random release when I think about it this way as there was never any other smaller hardcover Runaways books.

Adam Tyner 08-13-08 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by rmick
Hmmm.... do you think that with the series starting over at #1 that there will be another oversized hardcover?

I think it's a pretty safe bet. I haven't followed these premiere editions too closely, but I know Marvel did a similar smaller hardcover for the 'clone saga' in Ultimate Spider-Man, and they released a full-sized hardcover with those issues and more a few months later.

fujishig 08-13-08 06:09 PM

Ugh... I didn't realize these weren't the same size (height, not thickness) as the rest of the hard covers...

Jackskeleton 08-14-08 03:41 AM

I doubt they will have an oversize 4 volume. The three current oversize ones were for Brian K's run and well, Whedons run isn't anything to brag about. And with the series going to #1 again, I doubt they'd want to lump them together with the end run of Joss' arc. Not to mention that there's the whole Secret Invasion YA/Runaways that happens directly after Joss' arc.

slop101 08-14-08 11:04 AM

Is that written by Joss Whedon? It's hard to tell...

boredsilly 08-23-08 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 8875288)
Ugh... I didn't realize these weren't the same size (height, not thickness) as the rest of the hard covers...

This is something that doesn't really bother me all that much (though I do like books to "match"), but it's a complaint I hear often enough that I wonder why companies continue to play fast and loose with the format of collected editions.

fujishig 09-12-08 05:31 PM

So I just saw the solicitation for the second Astonishing X-Men Hardcover... both the Direct Market and the Bookstore versions of the covers have huge JOSS WHEDON labels like the one on the Runaways book. Is this really necessary for the DM? The only "regular" cover is listed as the alternate cover... how the heck do I get that?

I'm all for recognizing authors and all that, but geez.

davidh777 09-14-08 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 8876275)
Is that written by Joss Whedon? It's hard to tell...

:lol:

dx23 04-27-10 10:25 PM

Re: Joss Whedon's Runaways HC

I've been reading the Runaways over the past couple of days and have to say that it has become one of my favorite all-time comic series. I've been hooked non-stop. I would love for Marvel to release an Omnibus collecting Vol 1 and 2 and any extra they may want to add.

fujishig 05-03-10 11:54 AM

I enjoyed the original volumes, but not so much the stuff after that, even though I enjoyed Whedon and Moore's other works (and I even like Immonen's previous hellcat series). It's on hiatus now, right?

It doesn't help that they started resoliciting hardcovers of the original run at the same time as newer hardcovers were coming out. Ugh.

vmars 05-09-10 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 10137425)
I enjoyed the original volumes, but not so much the stuff after that, even though I enjoyed Whedon and Moore's other works (and I even like Immonen's previous hellcat series). It's on hiatus now, right?

It doesn't help that they started resoliciting hardcovers of the original run at the same time as newer hardcovers were coming out. Ugh.

Yeah, they're releasing premiere hardcovers of each of the arcs of the original run. Pretty sure they're collecting the same issues that each of the small softcover digests covered.

I'd love for them to release another big hardcover with Joss Whedon, Terry Moore, and Kathryn Immonen's runs in it but thats extremely doubtful. Maybe when the hype from the movie starts coming we'll get something. The series is on hiatus right now in preparation for the movie in the next few years.