DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Comic Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk-57/)
-   -   New Ghostbusters Comic in October (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk/536226-new-ghostbusters-comic-october.html)

My Other Self 07-23-08 11:12 PM

New Ghostbusters Comic in October

http://protoncharging.com/gb/2008/07...side/#comments

I'm assuming this won't be another 88MPH fiasco (for those of you who collected the old comic from 2004, you know what I'm talking about).

reverie 07-24-08 09:47 AM

I did get the last miniseries, but what do you mean by "fiasco"? Just curious.

I look forward to more, even if the art in the background there looks nothing like any Ghostbuster I've ever seen. ;) The only thing I dislike about IDW is their love of multiple covers.

My Other Self 07-24-08 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by reverie
I did get the last miniseries, but what do you mean by "fiasco"? Just curious.

I look forward to more, even if the art in the background there looks nothing like any Ghostbuster I've ever seen. ;) The only thing I dislike about IDW is their love of multiple covers.

Sebastian Clavett, the guy running 88MPH, has ripped off $1000s with his hardcover collection of the miniseries that was supposed to have a forward by Aykroyd. He took all the money frome the pre-orders, then halfway through the process "ran out of funds" and couldn't complete the project. He never issued as much as one refund, he lost his backing, and the Ghostbusters license.

As a result the regular ongoing comic series was canned, and most of the online GB community was scammed.

fujishig 07-24-08 08:14 PM

Interesting... how were preorders taken? I'm assuming not through Diamond... through his personal website or something?

My Other Self 07-24-08 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig
Interesting... how were preorders taken? I'm assuming not through Diamond... through his personal website or something?

Yep. Through Graham Crackers and his site. Graham Crackers issued refunds, but most of the people pre-ordered through him. It was expensive too.

I don't know how many pre-orders he did off hand. There was talks of a class action lawsuit but that kind of fizzled. Everyone just chalked it up to a huge loss.

reverie 07-25-08 09:19 AM

Wow, I had no idea. I did preorder the book (thankfully not through him!) and was wondering why it went away. What a jerk.

hitmanjules 07-31-08 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by mcfly
Everyone just chalked it up to a huge loss.

Screw that! Too many people today get away with s--t like that, less and worse! There is an unbelievable disparity in accountability in America today and I am not thrilled with it.

I once saw how a large stadium food kiosk operated; at the end of the day, money, napkins, cups, trays, etc are all counted and logged, and checked against the day's numbers. Can you imagine if the same scrutiny were applied to government spending and private industry profiteering? The little business, making dollars counts napkins (well, in blocks). The big entities lose a few million here and there and no one is held to task.

It's attitudes like "well, bin Laden is too hard to find, so we'll just give up" that piss me off. So who gets to laugh and give the screwed over the finger?
The bad guy. The people who deserve just desserts and comeuppance and justice.

You see it every day, a cop pulls you over for going 5 miles per hour over the speed limit, but when you get home, your house was burglarized and after taking your statement, no progress is made. YOU got held accountable, but the REAL criminal gets off scott free.

Sorry about the rant, but even non-violent criminals can get your blood up.

fujishig 07-31-08 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by hitmanjules
I once saw how a large stadium food kiosk operated; at the end of the day, money, napkins, cups, trays, etc are all counted and logged, and checked against the day's numbers. Can you imagine if the same scrutiny were applied to government spending and private industry profiteering? The little business, making dollars counts napkins (well, in blocks). The big entities lose a few million here and there and no one is held to task.

I worked in a large stadium food kiosk (well, the Hollywood Bowl) and while we had to count the other stuff, we didn't have to count napkins... what possible reason could there be to keep a running count of napkins?

hitmanjules 07-31-08 10:27 PM

I'm not sure - it was at the Gaylord Entertainment Center in Nashville. They didn't count every individual napkin, but the blocks of wrapped napkins - I should have made that clearer. It's just infuriating how a minimum wage worker is held accountable for waste, supplies, etc, but there are those who get away with embezzlement, redirected funds, "we're missing 20 million here and there in Iraq, no clue where it went, nor do we care."

Rant off.

My Other Self 10-16-08 02:59 PM

Came out yesterday.. mine shipped from Heavy Ink. Supposedly pretty good from the reviews I've seen.