Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Most popular comic books?

Old 07-22-08, 04:32 PM

Most popular comic books?

Is there a website that shows what the most popular comic books are and how many units per issue are sold?

Does anyone know?

Thank you.
Old 07-22-08, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think Diamond releases numbers (there are other comic distributors, but they are by far the biggest). Doing a quick search I found this page:
http://www.comichron.com/MonthlyRank...7/Default.aspx

though I didn't read up on how they come out with the estimates.

edit: I should mention that the one huge exception are manga volumes (and other tpbs) which are sold at bookstores and usually do not come through Diamond (I think DarkHorse stuff all comes from there, but not other things). So you'll have to look up bookscan and compare to really see the sell-through of manga.

Last edited by fujishig; 07-22-08 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-22-08, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Man the comic industry is really hurting. I once went through my hulk issues and once a year they have the periodical report on how many issues they printed/shipped. I remember at one point it being well over a million per issue. Now the highest one is barely over 100k. Of course this is before the TPB push that now people don't need the single issues anymore.
Old 07-22-08, 09:05 PM

fujishig - thanks for the info. Very helpful link. How does bookscan.com work? Can I use it to find out how many books on a specific genre sold? Like Magna (or books about comic books etc)? I went to the site and typed in Magna and nothing came up.

Or is there another website that can tell me that info.

Thanks.
Old 07-23-08, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think you need to be a publisher or have some kind of subscription to get the bookscan numbers... and I think there's a separate "graphic novel" section that groups most of them together (though sometimes there's some overlap with the humor section).

Brian Hibbs, in his Tilting at Windmills columns, usually goes over the bookscan numbers in depth. I know he did it for the 2007 numbers on newsarama.com, however he moved his column away from newsarama and I can't find an archive of his newsarama columns.