Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Michael Turner passes away at 37

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-08, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Michael Turner passes away at 37

So sad. I got into comics because of him. He will be missed.

http://weeklycomicbookreview.com/200...r-passes-away/
Old 06-28-08, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 346 Posts
Wow. 37 is just way too young for anyone to die. I'm not overly familiar with his work (had to google him) but it looks like he had been doin' stuff I been readin' - I just didn't realize it.

Rest in peace ...
Old 06-28-08, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wonder if this has anything to do with complications from his cancer.
Old 06-28-08, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive got a couple sketches by him and original page... I didnt know he was in bad shape.
Old 06-28-08, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
R.I.P

I loved everything he was involved with, especially Fathom and Witchblade.
Old 06-28-08, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
After learning of his condition years ago, you never quite knew when his condition would take a turn for the worse, especially someone so young, but it was a tribute to his resolve to keep on producing what he could in the field of comics, and undergo all the medical treatments and procedures in combatting his condition.

RIP, Mr. Turner.
Old 06-28-08, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Wow. Of the few comic artist faves I have he was one of them.
Old 06-28-08, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Newsarama:

There was a somber feeling this morning at Wizard World Chicago as fans, co-workers and friends of artist and Aspen Comics founder Michael Turner shared their shock and sadness over his death last night.

The Aspen Comics booth was quiet, missing the usual faces who would greet guests at every Wizard event. While Aspen Executive Vice President Frank Mastromauro and Editorial Director Vince Hernandez were at the booth on Thursday night during preview night, they and other Aspen creators flew out of Chicago early on Friday for Los Angeles, aware that Turner's condition had worsened. A representative for Aspen today said his family and friends from Aspen were with him last night when he passed away. Turner had been recently hospitalized for complications from a surgery he underwent in February in his continuing battle with the bone-based cancer chondrosarcoma.

The Aspen Comics panel that was scheduled for today at 1 p.m. was canceled.

At the Marvel booth, Jim McCann, Marvel's Marketing Manager, was working on a tribute to Turner that will be presented at the Secret Invasion panel today at 1 p.m. Turner had been working with Marvel since signing an exclusive with the company in 2005, including providing artwork for covers for Fallen Son and World War Hulk. The artist was scheduled to next do interior work with Jeph Loeb on a story set in the Marvel Universe.

"Mike would want us to keep smiling," McCann said. "That's the way he was. He was always smiling, and you never knew how much pain he was in. That's the kind of person he was. And his spirit is here."

David Hyde, Vice President of Publicity for DC Comics, said DC would also be paying tribute to Turner at the company's noon DCU: Crisis panel. Senior Editor Dan DiDio was expected to talk about Turner, whose work was seen on so many of DC's comics over the years, most recently on Justice League of America covers and interiors in the "Supergirl from Krypton" story arc of Superman/Batman. Geoff Johns, who was scheduled to appear at the convention today, had canceled his appearances because the Los Angeles-based writer few back to L.A. early this morning. He and Turner were working together on the unfinished series Ekos. They were also close friends.

Joe Yanarella, Senior Vice President of Operations for Wizard, said the convention had encouraged moderators of panels to observe a moment of silence for Turner. He said there would also be a moment of silence on the con floor for the creator, although the time for the observance was still being determined.
Old 06-28-08, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow. That sucks. Loved the covers he produced these last few years.
Old 06-29-08, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
I remember meeting him at the Philly convention back in '02. I bought a few signed issues from him.
Old 06-29-08, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
His work ethic was second to none. Doing major covers and story arcs for both DC and Marvel. As well as heavy duty at Aspen.

There's been a couple of cons I've seen him and gotten sketches from him where he came in on crutches and wheel chairs and he'd be there signing every persons items and doing sketches if he could.

While I didn't care all that much for his female character drawings, it's a tragic loss for the comic industry.

So sad.
Old 06-29-08, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

that article above is so sad, It shows that alot of businesses should take note of how the Aspen crew handled the situation. Family-like companies rock!
Old 06-29-08, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

R.I.P
Just a generally great guy, who even on crutches or in a wheelchair would sign stuff for people.
Old 07-01-08, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Very sad news.
Old 07-01-08, 07:00 PM

Great artist who put Top Cow on the map with his unique art on Witchblade and went on to form Aspen. Got to love his recent Marvel Variant covers. He'll be missed.
Old 07-02-08, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
My store just got in a promo calendar with his rendition of the X-Men on it..
Old 07-03-08, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Originally Posted by Rogue588
My store just got in a promo calendar with his rendition of the X-Men on it..
Better hope that Chrissy doesn't get her e-bay paws on it.......
Old 07-03-08, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was a huge fan of his when he first hit the comics scene and my tastes have since gravitated away from his style of artwork, but this is still a huge loss for the comics world. He was by all accounts a great guy and he was most definitely a very talented artist - self taught, if I remember correctly. I loved the covers he did for Flash and Identity Crisis a few years ago - he will be missed.
Old 07-11-08, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Sunday at Comic-Con:

1:00-2:30 The Life of Michael Turner Tribute Panel— Celebrate the life and times of acclaimed artist, creator, and Aspen Comics president and founder Michael Turner, as Aspen Comics and a host of popular comic book creators pay special tribute to the creator of the best-selling titles Fathom, Soulfire, and Witchblade, and the cover artist behind the mainstream comic event hits Marvel’s Civil War and DC Comics’ Identity Crisis and Justice League of America. In honor of Turner’s tremendous spirit and body of work, as well as his countless contributions to the comic book industry, Aspen Comics will return the favor by remembering Michael Turner’s amazing life both in and outside of comics at this very special tribute event. Room 5AB