Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Rob Liefeld - Worst comic book artist ever?

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Rob Liefeld - Worst comic book artist ever?

Old 06-19-19, 07:23 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts
Re: Rob Liefeld (or Sal Buscema?!?!?!?!) - Worst comic book artist ever?

WTF?!? That first one is just disturbing. The other ones, well, there's a market for that, but how the fuck did the first one get printed at all?
Old 06-19-19, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts

I'm not sure what the print run is but I don't know anyone that actually reads the book. In fact, all these anecdotes are from long after I stopped reading, but someone mentioned it one time (I think here) and unfortunately I looked it up back then.
Old 06-19-19, 09:37 PM
Banned

Print run on Savage Dragon books is around 4000 copies.
Old 06-20-19, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,646 Likes on 1,832 Posts

I remember when I was younger and was always disappointed when Sal Buscema was doing a fill-in on one of the Marvel titles I read because the way he drew faces made it look like everyone was stepping on Legos.
Old 06-20-19, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,172 Likes on 902 Posts

I was never a fan of Larsen or his style let alone Savage Dragon. I think the only Savage Dragon title I have is that one issue Jim Lee drew when all of the founders did this crossover promotion special where each founder drew someone else's book for one issue.
Old 06-20-19, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 780 Likes on 654 Posts

I believe there's still a hardcore contingent of Savage Dragon fans from the 90s keeping the book afloat. Larsen these days pretty much uses it as his personal soap box from what others tell me. I guess he gave up on the idea that Savage Dragon would get adapted by Hollywood and indulges in whatever he wants in the book.

McFarlane is the definitive Spider-Man artist for me. I think he's to Spider-Man what Neal Adams was to Batman.
Old 06-20-19, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 780 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I actually liked Capullo's early art on Quasar. It was clean and not full of the squiggly line syndrome he developed with X-Force and then trying to ape McFarlane. I mean I still enjoy his art, I just look back fondly on that run (maybe the inkers had a lot to do with it).
I love those Quasar comics. Has it been collected into an omnibus? I was hoping against hope that Quasar would show up in Guardians of the Galaxy or another Marvel movie.

Old 06-20-19, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I love those Quasar comics. Has it been collected into an omnibus? I was hoping against hope that Quasar would show up in Guardians of the Galaxy or another Marvel movie.
I just looked it up, they have this collection reprinting Quasar 10-25 (and a Quasar Classics volume 1 reprinting 1-10):
Amazon Amazon

The reason I chose this one to link is because it happens to have a McFarlane cover. I don't see an omnibus though. I'm tempted by the much cheaper digital edition, since I'm not sure I need another TPB on my overflowing shelves. Capullo did up to issue 39 before he moved onto X-Force so there's enough for another tpb if they care to finish out the run. That and Starlin/Lim on Silver Surfer made for some awesome cosmic reads.

As far as Larsen goes... I don't think he cares much about adaptations. Even the cartoon, he basically just did it for the money, he didn't even try to convince them to stay true to the series. I bought a huge digital bundle some time back and he really was able to go all out on his book, but it just got way too out there. I used to think the best part was the letter pages, but even that became political after a while. Growing up, my friend always considered him like a McFarlane knock off because he followed McFarlane on Spider-man (twice I think) though I still enjoyed his cartoony style.
Old 06-22-19, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 450 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I remember when I was younger and was always disappointed when Sal Buscema was doing a fill-in on one of the Marvel titles I read because the way he drew faces made it look like everyone was stepping on Legos.
I've always enjoyed Sal's art. I love his composition and angles, and his depiction of action is excellent.

I've been reading some Marvel Team-Up issues he did with Frank Giacoia inking, and they looked absolutely Spectacular! I have always enjoyed Sal's art, regardless of inker (even with Vince Colletta), but Frank was a next level kind of inker - he took the pencil artist's work up to the next level.
Old 07-02-19, 10:33 PM
Banned

So after saying on social media that he wasn't going to sign the facsimile edition of New Mutants #98 (released tomorrow), to the point of blocking people online for asking why, now Liefeld says he will on an Instagram post. That same Instagram post, once again diminishes Fabian Nicieza's contribution to the character. I don't get why Liefeld gets like this. Either he isn't made for social media or has real mental issues. Like, I've said, I met him before on a private level and he has been incredibly nice and respectful to me and everyone around those meetings, but his social media persona is just sad.
Old 07-02-19, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,786 Likes on 1,203 Posts

Social media straight up brings out the worst in people.

Also, Sal Buscema was/is my favorite Hulk artist so I belatedly protest.
Old 07-02-19, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 450 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt D
Also, Sal Buscema was/is my favorite Hulk artist so I belatedly protest.
I love his work on the Hulk. I also love his work on Marvel Team-Up and Spectacular Spider-Man, too.
Old 07-03-19, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 435 Likes on 304 Posts

I know he was a bit of a Byrne knock-off, buy my favorite Hulk, artist was probably Dale Keown.
Here he is actually doing a Sal Buscema homage...

Old 07-03-19, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
I know he was a bit of a Byrne knock-off, buy my favorite Hulk, artist was probably Dale Keown.
Here he is actually doing a Sal Buscema homage...

Agree, i thought Keown did a great hulk - and he carried that into his hulk/sabretooth knock-off at Image.
Old 07-03-19, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Keown was awesome. His signature was that open mouth with drool between the teeth thing that he made look cool. I don't remember seeing anything of his in a long time, though, what's he been up to?
Old 07-03-19, 11:19 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

Keown was awesome. His signature was that open mouth with drool between the teeth thing that he made look cool. I don't remember seeing anything of his in a long time, though, what's he been up to?
Looks fairly continuously active at mostly Marvel, but I didn’t look very hard, so maybe mostly reprints.
https://www.comics.org/searchNew/?q=...ry&sort=chrono
Old 07-03-19, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 435 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
Agree, i thought Keown did a great hulk - and he carried that into his hulk/sabretooth knock-off at Image.
Which was unfortunately terrible.
Old 07-03-19, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

PITT was awesome. The issue was that McKeown was slow as hell to release the book. I think there was a 6-7 month delay between PITT #1 & PITT #2.
Old 07-03-19, 02:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
PITT was awesome. The issue was that McKeown was slow as hell to release the book. I think there was a 6-7 month delay between PITT #1 & PITT #2.
From what I read somewhere, Keown was in a bad car accident that left him really hurt. That's why his book was delayed for over a year between Pitt 1 and 2
Old 07-12-19, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Red Hood
From what I read somewhere, Keown was in a bad car accident that left him really hurt. That's why his book was delayed for over a year between Pitt 1 and 2
I did not know that. They kept that under wraps, because I remember being pissed off. The other part was that they changed the paper stock from issue #1 going forward. Apparently the thicker non-glossier paper was much more expensive. I remember folks complained at how bright issue #2 was from # 1 - in terms of color palette.
Old 07-12-19, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Red Hood, do you have a source or article about the accident? Because the publishing schedule of Pitt was all over the place, so unless he was recovering for years, there was something else afoot. Here's a CBR article that notes the cover dates:

https://www.cbr.com/250381-2/

As a kid I figured that the lack of editorial mandate to get books out on time meant they just couldn't get motivated to get things out on a regular basis, but I have no idea if they were just independently wealthy from previous work or sales of issue number 1 that they didn't have to work to eat.

I do know (I think I mentioned it before) that Portacio got super ill (and had some other family medical stuff) which is why Wetworks disappeared, and he had to relearn how to draw, which is why his artwork is so different.
Old 07-13-19, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I do know (I think I mentioned it before) that Portacio got super ill (and had some other family medical stuff) which is why Wetworks disappeared, and he had to relearn how to draw, which is why his artwork is so different.
Portacio's sister died from lupus. That's when he took a hiatus. When he got really sick, that was years after. I did not realize he had even been sick, so it must have happened in the 2000's and by then I had stopped reading and collecting comics for a bit. I was out of the loop.
Old 07-13-19, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,646 Likes on 1,832 Posts

According to wikipedia, in 2000 he had some issue with his pancreas that put him in a diabetic coma for a week, which left him unable to draw for a long time.
Old 07-13-19, 08:47 PM
Banned

Red Hood, do you have a source or article about the accident? Because the publishing schedule of Pitt was all over the place, so unless he was recovering for years, there was something else afoot. Here's a CBR article that notes the cover dates:

https://www.cbr.com/250381-2/

As a kid I figured that the lack of editorial mandate to get books out on time meant they just couldn't get motivated to get things out on a regular basis, but I have no idea if they were just independently wealthy from previous work or sales of issue number 1 that they didn't have to work to eat.

I'm trying to find where I read it. I think it was either a Wizard Magazine letter or Comic Buyers Guide, or some magazine from that era. The delay was for 6 months, although for weird distribution issues, some store received issue 2 later. I remember reading the accident being the reason he brought in more people to work on the book, including inkers. And I also remember that the content of the letter dismissed the rumor that Keown was on drugs and that had cause the delays. As soon as I find the source, I will post it.
Old 07-13-19, 09:57 PM
Banned

One guy that I don't understand how he still gets work is Arthur Suydam. Not only is he a well known asshole, but he's been accused of ripping off other people's. What he called homages, are basically him photoshopping over already existing artwork. For example

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.