Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Rob Liefeld (or Sal Buscema?!?!?!?!) - Worst comic book artist ever?

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Rob Liefeld (or Sal Buscema?!?!?!?!) - Worst comic book artist ever?

Old 06-03-19, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Rob Liefeld (or Sal Buscema?!?!?!?!) - Worst comic book artist ever?

Back from the dead and nothing has changed for Liefield. The last dumb ass thing I remember him doing was asking Russell Crowe to read for Cable. Totally pissed Crowe off.
Old 06-03-19, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
The king of all highly-detailed superstar artists...

Because of this thread, I'm re-reading Tex Arcana. But all of the scans on the internet are too low a dpi, and they all look muddy. Anything that looks like a wash or a scribble in this image is actually extra-fine cross-hatching. His output was only about 4-6 pages a month in Heavy Metal, and he didn't make it into every issue.

Old 06-03-19, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

One of my all time favorite artists from the early Image era was Nick Manabat. He was tasked with providing the art for Cybernary, which premiered in Jim Lee's Deathblow as a two-in-one series. You had Deathblow in a limited series drawn by Lee then you flipped the book and had the Cybernary story. Cybernary was also written and co-created by Steve Gerber. Sadly, Nick Manabat died shortly thereafter.

His style concentrated on heavy blacks. There's lots of his artwork online in black and white before the colors where added and it's goddamn beautiful. Cybernary eventually came back with Weber writing and someone else drawing it but it did not do well. Weber later commented that the artist just could not nail the aesthetic. Well, no shit, there was only one Nick Manabat.

Here's a black and white piece:

Manabat had an almost Frazetta look to some of his work:

Old 06-13-19, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Surprised news of Liefeld's Twitter meltdown hasn't reached here. He got into it with several comic book professionals on the site, claimed that DC was going out of business, and some other nonsense. Quite an epic Twitter war that ended in Rob leaving Twitter.
Old 06-13-19, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn’t my follow him on twitter so I missed it.
Im in a fb group of comic book professionals were they mostly talk about art before 1986.
He quit that group because of the pre. 1986 rule and started his own group for discussing comic art from any era.

I thinks he’s posted some unusual opinions in the 1986 group a few times and quit at least once before years ago over a beef with someone who called him out on some of his own talent.

He’ll eventually go back to twitter
Old 06-14-19, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

First, Sal Buscema is a fucking da Vinci compared to Liefeld.

That out of the way, Liefeld is a guy that came along at the right time, during the speculators boom, when comics were selling a million copies. He capitalized on his limited drawing experience to throw in with the Image guys and gave us years of characters with way too many pouches, huge breasts, no feet, and impossible anatomy, all in the worst possible way. During that time, he created Deadpool (or maybe co-created) and has been riding the success of Ryan Reynolds to a career resurgance.

I'm no Deadpool expert but I did read the early stuff - his appearances X-Force and his first few mini-series. I never liked it. For me, he was a mediocre, meaningless character until Reynolds put him to film. That allowed Liefeld to ride the wave to bring us all Major X, who may have the worst helmet in comics. Or maybe the worst helmet ever. Ugh.

Liefeld can say whatever he wants on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or where ever. I won't bother to listen to him. I will happily live in a comics world that is Liefeld free.
Old 06-14-19, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ytrez View Post
First, Sal Buscema is a fucking da Vinci compared to Liefeld.

That out of the way, Liefeld is a guy that came along at the right time, during the speculators boom, when comics were selling a million copies. He capitalized on his limited drawing experience to throw in with the Image guys and gave us years of characters with way too many pouches, huge breasts, no feet, and impossible anatomy, all in the worst possible way. During that time, he created Deadpool (or maybe co-created) and has been riding the success of Ryan Reynolds to a career resurgance.

I'm no Deadpool expert but I did read the early stuff - his appearances X-Force and his first few mini-series. I never liked it. For me, he was a mediocre, meaningless character until Reynolds put him to film. That allowed Liefeld to ride the wave to bring us all Major X, who may have the worst helmet in comics. Or maybe the worst helmet ever. Ugh.

Liefeld can say whatever he wants on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or where ever. I won't bother to listen to him. I will happily live in a comics world that is Liefeld free.
I'll disagree with two things:
Liefeld did not just chance on success, he did have a dynamic and different drawing style that accounted for his popularity, the problem is he never really evolved like other artists do. I don't really fault him for the pouches and whatever, even designs like Perez's New Teen Titans can age horribly. I'll agree that he came along at the perfect time, though.

Deadpool was way popular even before the movies. I agree that this had little to do with Liefeld, however, it was mainly runs like Joe Kelly that really established the character outside of a Deathstroke ripoff. Same with Cable, Rob created him but so many other creators have evolved him beyond what Rob originally intended.
Old 06-14-19, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, Deadpool was great long before Ryan Reynolds adapted him to the screen, but the success of Deadpool has little to nothing to do with Rob Liefeld. Rob did nothing except for rip off Deathstroke from Teen Titans. It was Joe Kelly who made him into the character that we know and love today, and is the true creator of Deadpool IMHO. Tons of stuff that Joe Kelly created (including Weasel, Blind Al, and the idea of Deadpool as a wisecracking anti-hero) made it into the films. If you've never read Deadpool's ongoing that started in 1997, it's really worth your time. You'll see a lot more parallels to the film version than you probably realize.