DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Comic Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk-57/)
-   -   Teen Titans Year One *Spoilers inside* (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk/521694-teen-titans-year-one-%2Aspoilers-inside%2A.html)

taffer 01-04-08 11:50 PM

Teen Titans Year One *Spoilers inside*

Anyone pick up the first issue of this new miniseries yet? I read it today, and I have to say I didn't like it.

Spoiler:
The Batman in this miniseries is apparently Frank Miller's Goddamn Batman. Batman goes ballistic on a man who steals some jewelry. He thens pockets the jewelry himself saying that it is "for evidence." Robin questions him on it, and then Batman punches him and says "We're through. Don't bother coming home" and then walks away.

The final line did make me laugh at how twisted it was. The store owner asks Robin "Are you hurt? Should we call your parents?"

Poor Robin. At least he didn't have to eat a rat this issue...

boredsilly 01-10-08 12:33 PM

I'm not using spoiler tags, because you have a warning in the title.

I don't think this is the "goddamn batman", but Batman being controlled by something. I'm guessing this will be the catalyst for the kids to come together.

I thought the art was really good, the story was fine, but one thing did bother me. That Dick and Wally were so cavalier about their secret identities. Maybe I'm just used to how DC has always treated that, and that's why it bothered me a tiny bit. This isn't off the the rocking start as some of the other better Year Ones got, but I still hold out hope that this will turn into a fun story.

JasonF 01-10-08 05:26 PM

Am I acting like too much of an old fogey if I complain that the Titans already had a perfectly good origin back in Brave & the Bold #54? In fact, we just saw the villain from that story in the most recent JLA ...

Superboy 01-10-08 10:31 PM

This is quite possibly the most disappointing book i've ever read. I had high hopes for this book. Especially since i'm a HUGE Titans fan, and i've had to watch the past 15 years just gut that book to smithereens - much like X-men.

taffer 01-10-08 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by boredsilly
That Dick and Wally were so cavalier about their secret identities.

...and since when did they ever go to the same high school? I don't know much about Flash, so I could be wrong, but he doesn't live in Gotham so why would he go to a Gotham high school.

Originally Posted by JasonF
Am I acting like too much of an old fogey if I complain that the Titans already had a perfectly good origin back in Brave & the Bold #54?

If you are an old fogey than so am I because I feel the same way. I hate how Marvel and DC keep rewriting different origin stories, usually making it worse off in the process. John Byrne's Man of Steel miniseries is the perfect Superman origin story, but for whatever reason, DC is retconning it now too. Why can't they just leave a good story alone...

Superboy 01-11-08 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by taffer

If you are an old fogey than so am I because I feel the same way. I hate how Marvel and DC keep rewriting different origin stories, usually making it worse off in the process. John Byrne's Man of Steel miniseries is the perfect Superman origin story, but for whatever reason, DC is retconning it now too. Why can't they just leave a good story alone...

Don't you know? since hypertime, and especially since the return of the multiverse, ALL those stories are true!

boredsilly 01-11-08 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by taffer

Whatever retcon DC is doing, and they will keep shifting and changing in an effort to try and stay (or become) relevant, it doesn't hurt Man of Steel in anyway if you ask me. Good stories can stand on their own, even if they're not in continuity. The most famous of these is probably Whatever Happened to the World of Tomorrow.

BTW, the perfect Superman origin is the first three episodes of the Superman: Animated Series. Now that was perfection. I remember watching that premiere on a Sunday at seven and being blown away. -wink-