Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Spider-man 'One More Day' Thread - WARNING: NO Spoilers

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-08, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Either webshooter is fine by me, but the mechanical ones just look badass. So it's cool they're coming back.
Old 01-01-08, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue588
I will say this though...Joe Q did do one thing right by this OMD storyline...

He got rid of those damn "organic" webshooters.
I have to disagree there... the regular web shooters were one of the dumbest ideas ever. Come on, one of the biggest problems of a young Peter Parker was that Aunt May always needed money for the rent, and when Pete got older he was always having money problems also.

Let's see... a substance that is non-lethal, immobilizes the target, has a tensile strength of 120 pounds per square millimeter, cleans itself up (dissolves to nothing within 60 minutes), is easily portable in the form of a wrist-mounted delivery system, can be dispersed in a wide range from a small stream to a large net....

Good god, do you know what that patent would be worth? What law enforcement agency wouldn't pay through the ass for that technology? The Parker family should have never needed money.
Old 01-01-08, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by MovieExchange
I have to disagree there... the regular web shooters were one of the dumbest ideas ever. Come on, one of the biggest problems of a young Peter Parker was that Aunt May always needed money for the rent, and when Pete got older he was always having money problems also.

Let's see... a substance that is non-lethal, immobilizes the target, has a tensile strength of 120 pounds per square millimeter, cleans itself up (dissolves to nothing within 60 minutes), is easily portable in the form of a wrist-mounted delivery system, can be dispersed in a wide range from a small stream to a large net....

Good god, do you know what that patent would be worth? What law enforcement agency wouldn't pay through the ass for that technology? The Parker family should have never needed money.
They addressed the issue of him selling the formula way back in the early issues of Amazing Spider-man back in the 60's. No one wanted to buy it because it wasn't permanent and they didn't think it was marketable as a result.
Old 01-02-08, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by movieguru
They addressed the issue of him selling the formula way back in the early issues of Amazing Spider-man back in the 60's. No one wanted to buy it because it wasn't permanent and they didn't think it was marketable as a result.
Come on... you have to admit that's retarded. It was nothing but poor writing to try and get themselves out of a bind. If they had done something like that today, people would have been screaming about it.

People would kill to get their hands on that type of tech. To be honest, it was something Peter never should have been able to create in the first place. If he was that much of a genius, his other scientific breakthroughs should have been able to make the family very wealthy.
Old 01-02-08, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, that for me was the most implausible things in the Spider-man comics. In fact, that Pete could even have any trouble financially after college and all that. Seriously, he's a genius and he can invent things out of thin air. Every other person in the MU who can do that is rich.

I think as time went on, it just got harder and harder to tell the same kind of Spider-man stories, which is why Ultimate Spider-man was so popular.
Old 01-02-08, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Come on... you have to admit that's retarded. It was nothing but poor writing to try and get themselves out of a bind.
I guess I have no problem accepting this since I already accept that this is a guy in his late teens who dresses in a red 'n white costume (black when he's really pissed) and has the proportionate strength of a spider and the ability to scale walls like one too.

Old 01-02-08, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess I have no problem accepting this since I already accept that this is a guy in his late teens who dresses in a red 'n white costume (black when he's really pissed) and has the proportionate strength of a spider and the ability to scale walls like one too.

Ah, I see. So since you're willing to accept that a character has super-powers, you're willing to accept shitty writing and bad leaps of logic. Hey, whatever works for you. I ask for a little more effort from my storytellers, I guess.
Old 01-02-08, 06:37 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MOVIEEXCHANGE: Have you ever even READ a comic from the 60s, 70s, or 80s, even?!? It was NOT crappy writing, considering the context of the age in which it was written. Stan Lee was an EXCELLENT writer in his heyday; to badmouth the reasons/methodology he (and the other great classic Marvel writers) used to get from point "a" to point "b" in the stories is just stupid. Times were different; people were more innocent; the stories reflect society. And those stories, that massive body of work, are the best stuff ever written/drawn on a comic page (Marvel 1960 to 1980). "Silver Age Marvel" will (probably) be the king of all comic classics until comics are no longer being made. They sure as hell beat everything, from any publisher, on the stands today!!!

What the hell?!? Let's just start over again...oh yeah, that's the Ultimate Marvel Universe (which I also dig).
Old 01-02-08, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
I think the web shooters became a crutch too often. "Oh no, here comes Doc Oc, and I only have 1 web cartridge left!"
Old 01-02-08, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by zombiezilla
MOVIEEXCHANGE: Have you ever even READ a comic from the 60s, 70s, or 80s, even?!? It was NOT crappy writing, considering the context of the age in which it was written. Stan Lee was an EXCELLENT writer in his heyday; to badmouth the reasons/methodology he (and the other great classic Marvel writers) used to get from point "a" to point "b" in the stories is just stupid. Times were different; people were more innocent; the stories reflect society. And those stories, that massive body of work, are the best stuff ever written/drawn on a comic page (Marvel 1960 to 1980). "Silver Age Marvel" will (probably) be the king of all comic classics until comics are no longer being made. They sure as hell beat everything, from any publisher, on the stands today!!!
Yeah, I was going to respond to ME's comments, but i'll agree with this for now. I mean, (to me, at least) it's very plausible that people were shortsighted in not wanting anything to do with it because it was "temporary". Then again, I don't know the context of this plot/revelation, so it's difficult to comment on its execution. But, again, I don't have a problem with it. And if I did, i'd just call this guy:

Old 01-02-08, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My God. Just read what Joey says about the marriage here. According to him, all you married guys are just boring.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ne...m.cgi?id=12681

So in the last year or so, Superman, Batman, Punisher, and to a degree The Flash, have had kids, (as well as continued marriages) and excellent stories in the process. So it can be done. Joe just makes excuses, to cover up a lack of creativity among his writers.

Oh and having to talk to your kids, about Spidey getting a divorce....like a deal with the devil is any better. That would make for some interesting, main stream press. I bet he is secretly hoping this story doesn't go as wide as the unmasking or Caps death, for this reason.

What a great conversation that would be with your kids "Daddy would you make a deal with the devil to forget me and mommy, like Spider-man did?"

Last edited by stingermck; 01-02-08 at 09:02 PM.
Old 01-02-08, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I was going to respond to ME's comments, but i'll agree with this for now.

So basically you're agreeing with nonsense from someone that did not refute a single thing that I said. All they did was call me stupid because I dared say that the sacred legends weren't perfect.

As I said, if you think putting up with short-sighted and poorly thought-out writing is acceptable because it's about a fictional character, then more power to you. Some of us demand more.
Old 01-02-08, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by zombiezilla

What the hell?!? Let's just start over again...oh yeah, that's the Ultimate Marvel Universe (which I also dig).
Did YOU even READ what MovieExchange said? just because he disagrees with ONE point of a story doesn't mean that the writer/artist team AS A WHOLE is bad nor is the entire COMPANY bad nor is the entire SILVER AGE bad. He's just disagreeing with one point of the story.
Old 01-03-08, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stingermck
I think the web shooters became a crutch too often. "Oh no, here comes Doc Oc, and I only have 1 web cartridge left!"

Not to mention how many times you can really do "Oh man, I have two dates tonight and the vulture is on the loose so I have to stop him!" stories with them being fresh

Then again, I didn't mind organic shooters all that much. Hell, even the film made it make perfect sense as to why they would run out. Stress or whatever else emotional drain causing him not to be able to produce the webbing made a lot more sense than him just carrying too few cartridges in his belt to deal with the baddies.
Old 01-03-08, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The cartridges look cool.

There is a lot that is silly about the Spider-man mythos, but I too always found May and Pete struggling for money to be a little silly. Peter didn't even need to sell his webbing, he could have just, I dunno, got a job? He is pretty much a genius after all. But being a hard luck case is part of his charm, so when I did read Spidey, I just excepted that.

You can punch holes in ANY super heroes status quo if you try even a little.

Plus, the cartridges look cool. .

Last edited by boredsilly; 01-03-08 at 07:30 AM.
Old 01-03-08, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by boredsilly
You can punch holes in ANY super heroes status quo if you try even a little.
There's different types of holes. There's small holes, and then there's ones you could fly a jet through. I don't mind the small holes, but if you're going to make a character that has money problems you don't make him a scientific genius and then completely ignore that talent.
Old 01-03-08, 09:08 AM

But there's a conflict between his real life and his secret identity. How could he sell the webbing? Or invest the time in a legitimate career? This is a guy who is placing the good of others above himself. That is the whole point. Pursuing personal gain or ignoring that responsibility to earn a better wage would be a far bigger contradiction of his identity than having him stay poor.
Old 01-03-08, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by yecul
But there's a conflict between his real life and his secret identity. How could he sell the webbing? Or invest the time in a legitimate career? This is a guy who is placing the good of others above himself. That is the whole point. Pursuing personal gain or ignoring that responsibility to earn a better wage would be a far bigger contradiction of his identity than having him stay poor.
What about the responsibility to provide for his wife and family...oh wait never mind, its just easier to wish them away

I thought the recent stories had finally turned the corner. I got tired of seeing down and out Spidey. Living in Avengers tower, and on a team that doesnt require a paper bag on your head, it felt like Spidey finally was being respected. Now i just think Pete is a big pussy.
Old 01-03-08, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Don't forget the late 80s and early 90s where Peter and MJ were living large off her modeling income. It didn't ruin the book at all. It was an appropriate direction for the character.

It's really sad when you consider that Pete is supposed to reflect comic readers themselves. Outcast nerds who fail at life. It's funny how Joe Q is basically saying that instead of things turning out right for them in life, that their struggles are worthwhile, that they can rise to a better place in society, that they are worthwhile people with more to contribute to the world than some jock douche bag, all they're going to end up doing is running around in circles, always ending up in the poorhouse.
Old 01-03-08, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by stingermck
What about the responsibility to provide for his wife and family...oh wait never mind, its just easier to wish them away
You can't blame the character for the fact that Joe Q hates his life.
Old 01-03-08, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

So basically you're agreeing with nonsense from someone that did not refute a single thing that I said. All they did was call me stupid because I dared say that the sacred legends weren't perfect.
Hey, I said "for now"!

Anyways, I stand by my "I could see shortsighted execs being unimpressed by "temporary" webbing" statement. Perhaps if I had more context regarding this plot other than movieguru's "No one wanted to buy it because it wasn't permanent and they didn't think it was marketable as a result." synopsis.. (no offense intended, mg).
Old 01-03-08, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

JMS responds to Quesada at Newsarama.

Best part of the article:
[JMS]"-- or [Harry has] effectively been alive as far as our characters know, so he's been alive all along, so either way as far as our characters are concerned, continuity's been violated going back to 1971.

How do you explain that?"

[JQ]"It's magic, we don't have to explain it."
Heck, I can't stand this story, but at least JMS' story conclusion makes more sense than Quesada's.
Old 01-03-08, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
Just read the article and it doesn't sound like JMS's story was much better... in the end, both did the same thing everyone was complaining about here anyway.
Old 01-03-08, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Originally Posted by JMS
It made no sense to me.
Still doesn't. It's sloppy. It violates every rule of writing fiction of the fantastic that I and every other SF/Fantasy writer knows you can't violate. It's fantasy 101.

Holy shit!
Old 01-04-08, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Here are the first few pages of Dan Slott's take on Spider-Man in "Brand New Day"
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...ogID=343976793
And I think it's a pretty good start - but of course it'd be much better if none of this "OMD" crap had happened...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.